PDA

View Full Version : What kind of lathe is this?

icor1031
30th January 2012, 09:54 PM
There's room for his jig, as you can see.

Ash Waveguide - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG9liY2TdO0&feature=youtu.be)

Unless I'm looking at it wrong, these do not have room:

wood lathe - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?q=wood%20lathe&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&hl=en&biw=1920&bih=958&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&tab=if&ei=AHYmT92wDYGqgwesx62DCQ)

Thanks.

orraloon
30th January 2012, 10:12 PM
That is a pretty good idea if you want to go into producing a lot of the same shaped bowls. A vairation of the ball cutting jig. With a bit of thinking it could be used on most wood lathes. I cant see from the video just how it is mounted but would go on the bed easy as or on a table/bench if mounted outboard. I think that as long as the cutter is at the same height as the center then all should be well.
Got me thinking now.
Regards
John

RETIRED
30th January 2012, 10:14 PM
The jig is home made. Just need a headstock and put a bench in under it, add a block or two, some clamps, a tool holder off a metal lathe and away you go.

Pretty nifty actually. I like the micro adjustment on the cutter.:D

dr4g0nfly
31st January 2012, 04:39 AM
Having spent 23 year maintaining Radar systems I'm a bit bewildered by the term 'Waveguide'. Wood will not conduct electricity, therefore will not give the 'Skin effect' needed for the transmission of an EM wave.

Is this something for the musical peep's, is it a speaker cone of some sort?

icor1031
31st January 2012, 06:43 AM
It is for music. ;) Supposed to reduce diffraction.

Having spent 23 year maintaining Radar systems I'm a bit bewildered by the term 'Waveguide'. Wood will not conduct electricity, therefore will not give the 'Skin effect' needed for the transmission of an EM wave.

Is this something for the musical peep's, is it a speaker cone of some sort?

Fix Steady
31st January 2012, 01:07 PM
Hi TS:

The machine you saw in the U Tube operates on the same principle as Symtec wood lathe.

Edward

fxst
31st January 2012, 03:16 PM
Steady you just beat me with the comment. For the record I have had a Symtec 1500 for at least 15 years and only problem was the primary windings in the motor died 6 years ago but a local electrical fitter repaired it for $50 :2tsup:
Pete

Fix Steady
31st January 2012, 04:46 PM
Steady you just beat me with the comment. For the record I have had a Symtec 1500 for at least 15 years and only problem was the primary windings in the motor died 6 years ago but a local electrical fitter repaired it for $50 :2tsup:
Pete

Interesting, I found another Symtec machine owner:) and I sincerely hope that you love it. Anyway, if you visit my other thread that I have started you will know that I was manufacturing this machine under licence more than 20 years old. I won't be talking about it if I don't find the machine special after this long period of time!

Do visit the thread so that we may exchanges ideas, also do send me a email or PM if you need any technical help. I am more than happy and will try my best to help

Cheers

Edward

Grumpy John
31st January 2012, 05:03 PM
Pretty nifty actually. I like the micro adjustment on the cutter.:D

Looks like a 250Um (0.010") hammer to me :rolleyes:.