PDA

View Full Version : my Lombard steam log hauler

hornpout
31st January 2012, 02:19 PM
i put another one of my project on this machine replace the horse in the woods in the loggin operations it a lombard steam log hauler it was invented in Watervile Maine by Alvin O Lombard it was brought to the northern forest of new hampshire for a demonstration and after seing what this machine could do the owner of the mills in the area put in for 6 of them and put them in difrent areas of there woods operations a very slow moving machine but very powerfull being a crawler type machine it took 4 men to operate it the 1 to run the engine 1 to feed the fuel which used wood there was one who sat in front of the engines boiler to operate the stering which had 2 sled runers and 1 who had to take care of all the sleds to make sure they stayed coupled up and and make sure everything was ok to the rivers edge then they would pull all the train of sleds close to the edge of the rivet and took a can`t dog and pull a wood wedge that would tip the sled just alitle for the wood to fall in the river then the wood floated down the river for many many miles until it came to the mills to be procesed and run through a wood chiper then they would cook the wood chips to make paper on the paper machines there were many of those Lombards also in the Maine woods when the logging operations where done after many years they were left in the woods to rust away some where taken out for scrap iron i know where there`s 2 burried in th ground with just part of th stack sticking out of the ground some were taken out and restored by private owners the model i made comes from a completly restored one after taking pictures and measurements i started a long time consuming project it took around 60 hours to make i always like to see someone restoring old things so we can show our children and grand children what it was like a long time ago when life was hard but living was more simple for our uncles fathers and grand fathers i hope you like my project and hope youre not upset with the story behind it i put some pictures of the one that is all restored just type in Lombard logging engine at clarks trading post this place is about 60 miles from my home thanks for being so patient with me and my stories the pictures are not very good will take some more

crowie
31st January 2012, 06:52 PM
G'Day "hornpout",
You are a great toymaker and a supurb story teller.
I love that you like to know & under the history of your area, passing it on to younger generations.
The more you post, the more one becomes in awe and respect for your abilities.
THANK YOU.
Cheers, crowie

munruben
1st February 2012, 09:37 AM
Very nice. looks great.:2tsup:

wolflrv
1st February 2012, 01:34 PM
Very cool!! I can see the train trestles in one of the pics...now I'm wondering how big this collection of yours is?? Keep it coming!! These are just so cool and the history behind them makes them even more special!