PDA

View Full Version : CBN Wheels

Jim Carroll
1st February 2012, 08:57 AM
Yes we will have stock of the CBN wheels shortly, just have to get through customs.:2tsup:

nz_carver
1st February 2012, 09:44 AM
Hehe new toys new toys:doh:

NeilS
1st February 2012, 09:48 PM
Jim...:2tsup:

PS - I missed this thread before I posted mine on CBN & Diamond Wheels. I have now add a link to this one.

Jim Carroll
2nd February 2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks Neil :2tsup:

Jim Carroll
2nd February 2012, 07:30 PM
Ok they have landed in our store so have a look here (http://cws.au.com/shop/category/optigrind-cbn-grinding-wheels) for more info.

dai sensei
2nd February 2012, 10:38 PM
Jim I have a Carbatec slow grind bench grinder that I think would be perfect for a CBN, but it has a weird connection to the axle. I now all the wheels I previously had don't fit it.

What is the exact size of the bore and depth of bore on the wheels, is the recess on both sides or just one etc?

NeilS
2nd February 2012, 11:11 PM
Ok they have landed in our store so have a look here (http://cws.au.com/shop/category/optigrind-cbn-grinding-wheels) for more info.

That side-grit feature is going to allow tools to be ground with a flat rather than a convex bevel. An interesting option.

cookie48
2nd February 2012, 11:50 PM
One question please. Are they for use on fast or slow grinders???

Jim Carroll
3rd February 2012, 08:46 AM
Jim I have a Carbatec slow grind bench grinder that I think would be perfect for a CBN, but it has a weird connection to the axle. I now all the wheels I previously had don't fit it.

What is the exact size of the bore and depth of bore on the wheels, is the recess on both sides or just one etc?

Neil the actual wheel centre is 32mm, and if memory serves me correct the carbatec/ axminister one is 30mm.

The cruesen slow speed grinders are 15mm shaft.
Our next order I will get the 150mm x 40mm with the adaptor for the cruesen

Jim Carroll
3rd February 2012, 08:47 AM
One question please. Are they for use on fast or slow grinders???

You can use them on both slow and normal speed grinders.

Jim Carroll
3rd February 2012, 08:48 AM
That side-grit feature is going to allow tools to be ground with a flat rather than a convex bevel. An interesting option.

The CBN is 17mm wide on both size wheels

robo hippy
4th February 2012, 06:15 AM
What grit are the wheels? Also, is the CBN electroplated on the steel, or is it a matrix?

robo hippy

China
4th February 2012, 10:33 PM
robo hippy I wondered that myself so I had a better look at the pics on their site and they are electroplated, this is obviously reflected in the price, no one sells vitrified/matrix type wheels at that price being for home use they would outlast a traditional alox wheel, the grit from Jim is 170 -200

robo hippy
5th February 2012, 04:10 AM
My matrix wheels set me back $300 each, and are 1 inch wide. Since this wheel is wider, it still costs a bit less. I am guessing the extra cost compared to the D Way wheels is due to the CBN on the side of the wheel.

robo hippy

Mulgabill
5th February 2012, 12:44 PM
Jim C, you mentioned that the CBN bore was 32mm, does it come with bushes for grinders with smaller shafts or is only dedicated to grinders with that size shafts?

Jim Carroll
6th February 2012, 08:36 AM
Jim C, you mentioned that the CBN bore was 32mm, does it come with bushes for grinders with smaller shafts or is only dedicated to grinders with that size shafts?

Yes the bore of the CBN wheel is 32mm and we have the 150mm bushed to 1/2" and the 200mm bushed to 5/8"

What size do you need.

Jim Carroll
6th February 2012, 08:39 AM
What grit are the wheels? Also, is the CBN electroplated on the steel, or is it a matrix?

robo hippy

The type we use, that is an electroplated wheel: a steel core is plated with CBN in a nickel matrix, just a single layer, like chrome plated items. they last very long and stay flat during life time. They also cut better. It is much the same process as you have it on the EZE lap

Mulgabill
6th February 2012, 09:13 AM
Yes the bore of the CBN wheel is 32mm and we have the 150mm bushed to 1/2" and the 200mm bushed to 5/8"

What size do you need.
I will get back to you on that, but for memory, such as it is, the 150mm is 12.7mm (1/2").

brendan stemp
16th February 2012, 12:46 PM
I bought one. Fist impressions: good. Well balanced and takes steel of quickly.

Mulgabill
16th February 2012, 12:55 PM
Good to hear that Brendan! Unless I hear anything really negative it will be my next purchase.

rsser
16th February 2012, 05:01 PM
Sounds tasty dammit.

Would have to get a 2nd grinder and rearrange the bench ...

Jim Carroll
16th February 2012, 05:30 PM
One of the Metal Worker guys has also bought a wheel and has put up a video , have a look here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/cbn-grinding-wheels-147665/) to see it running

Hardenfast
16th February 2012, 08:16 PM
Quite heavy 8" wheel - nicely machined - certainly looks the part! I'll look forward to setting it up & giving it a run shortly.

Very prompt delivery Jim - many thanks!

Wayne

robo hippy
19th February 2012, 05:18 AM
Jim,
Thanks for the link to the Manufacturer. I e-mailed them, and they are distributing in the US. They don't have 8 inch wheels in stock over here yet, but will soon. They will also be in San Jose this summer for the AAW Symposium. I do think they need a coarse grit wheel.

I asked about 3/4 inch bored wheels, and was told that they were going to do a 1 1/4 inch arbor with bushings with a flange on one side to make them run more true.

More Toys!!!!!!

Curiosity can be expensive.

robo hippy