PDA

View Full Version : Wood suppliers

Wanda
2nd February 2005, 07:50 PM
Does anyone know where,in Australia, I can buy small pieces of laminated plywood? I am after cedar and others if possible. I can buy a large sheet 10' * 4' locally. In Cedar it is over $200!!!
I can get pine locally.
The Australian version of Berch, Walnut, Red Oak etc. available in 12" * 12" or 12" * 24" in America.

Tikki
7th February 2005, 09:06 AM
Hi Barbara

Theo Kampes (in my opinion) would have to be Australia's No 1 scroller and he uses predominantly hoop pine ply (and stains) or solid timbers. He did experiment with laminated flooring at one stage with good results, but it is not the same as the timber ply. When our craft reaches the heights it has in the US we should have suppliers on every street corner, until then, hoop pine and stain?
Cheers
Tikki

arose62
7th February 2005, 04:47 PM
How small is "small"?

It might be worth finding someone who produces offcuts that you can scavenge - my in-laws door factory sometimes uses high quality veneers for special jobs, and I've picked up pieces of interesting timber from them.

I was also offered some Jarrah veneer, but it was stuck to a part of a door, though they offered to thickness the door off the veneer.

Cheers,
Andrew

Wanda
18th February 2005, 12:12 PM
Thankyou for your tips. I have since also thought of checking out the kitchen cupboard makers locally - havn't got there yet!!