PDA

View Full Version : Unused Vintage Mitutoyo

Anorak Bob
3rd February 2012, 11:47 AM
Amongst the Ebay lemons there are a few peaches. The seller's photos of the inside micrometer didn't fill me with confidence so I aked him if the discolouration was a permanent or temporary affliction. The marks were remnants of the disintergrated foam case liner. Had he removed them, he may have sold it for more than the $32 I paid.

I have been looking for a metric depth gauge since my acquisition of a metric mill. Found the one below in Bulgaria.

BT

BobL
3rd February 2012, 11:54 AM
Great Score BT!

Greg Q
3rd February 2012, 12:02 PM
Very nice, BT. I really like the micro finish Mits puts on their stuff. It seems just a little bit more satin to the eye and the hand. The era from which yours comes, with the script trademark, was their pinnacle I think. Mine is from the period just before, with the logo that looks like it came right off an Underwood typewriter

GQ

RayG
3rd February 2012, 02:04 PM
Hi BT,

Nice to see the "flight rust" was easily wiped off... :D

Measuring gear is definitely an area where cosmetic appearance is important and can usually give a good indication of how well it's been looked after.

Regards
Ray

Stustoys
3rd February 2012, 02:30 PM
Hi BT,
Want to swap? lol no not really.
Very nice indeed, I can see I'm going to have to increase the time I spend searching. I did pick up a great vacumm cleaner but that just doesnt seem the same.
Whats the little thumb screw on the fixed(?) jaw of the inside mic? I', sort of thinking its a locking screw but I cant see how it would work.

Stuart

Anorak Bob
3rd February 2012, 02:43 PM
It is a locking screw Stu.

Anorak Bob
3rd February 2012, 03:00 PM
Sometimes you get caught out. I had sent the seller of this micrometer a message asking if it was adorned with any previous owner's name or the like. The answer was no. Must have thought K.SPENCER was factory engraving.:doh: The points have been driven together hence the barrel rotation. Still, for twenty bucks ....

Greg Q
3rd February 2012, 04:56 PM
Spencer, eh? Some mothers do 'ave 'em.

I much prefer the kind of engraving done in a shaky hand with one of those vibrating things. :rolleyes:

BobL
3rd February 2012, 08:34 PM
. . . The crossed out mistake is a particularly nice touch.:doh:

Hum . . . . I wonder . . . it also looks a bit like a rough attempt at masking ID.

pipeclay
3rd February 2012, 09:04 PM
He might be the reciever of stolen goods,perhaps we all might be,could be time to play it safe and turf everything and just buy from H&F.

BobL
3rd February 2012, 09:23 PM
It does look like there are couple of number under all that hash. I think there is a 69 under there on the RHS. It reminds me of a socket and spanner set I saw at a garage sale where every component has that sort of mangled engraving on it. When I had a look underneath the tool box it had "property of the SEC" engraved on it :oo:

RayG
3rd February 2012, 11:37 PM
He might be the reciever of stolen goods,perhaps we all might be,could be time to play it safe and turf everything and just buy from H&F.

Good advice.. you can never be too careful...

Regards
Ray
:D

Stustoys
3rd February 2012, 11:46 PM
You first Ray, just be sure to tell me which bin you use :rolleyes:

Stuart

RayG
4th February 2012, 12:41 AM
You first Ray, just be sure to tell me which bin you use :rolleyes:

Stuart

I'm going to hang around outside GQ's place... :)

Regards
Ray

Anorak Bob
4th February 2012, 12:52 AM
I deleted my previous post in an attempt to make nonsense of Peter's comment suggesting that I might be a receiver of stolen goods.

I have been a member of this forum for a few years and consider that my posts have never been critical of the aspirations, attempts or achievements of others. I certainly don't need this.

RayG
4th February 2012, 02:45 AM
Hi BT,

I didn't think Peter's comment was intended to be taken seriously.. Peter's sense of humor is a bit weird sometimes.

Regards
Ray

pipeclay
4th February 2012, 03:33 AM
Sorry Bob.what ever you do, dont throw them out.