PDA

View Full Version : Kiln Firing Services - Sth East Melb

racercreative
3rd February 2012, 02:16 PM
Hi All,

Decided after 20 years of wanting to be able to, to go ahead and try my hand at pottery, I was planning (and still will on starting with hand building, but my husband suddenly gifted me the other week with an old, but perfect and smooth Fact pottery wheel!

My question is, after I have finished reading all these books I have, and watching all related videos and practising like mad and finally come up with something worth preserving - is there anywhere (or anyone) in my neck of the woods (Cranbourne, Very South East Melbourne Suburbs) who I can take my works to to be fired for a fee? I know there is some closer to the city but I am hoping for more out this way - even better if it is someone who can give me a run down on the process at the same time so I can learn (and later convince husband to buy me a kiln too!)

Thanks

Jess

Burlgirl
10th February 2012, 08:00 AM
Hi Jess,

that's great to hear! You've been bitten by the clay bug and it's a very good thing :D.
It's very exciting and so rewarding to take a lump of "mud" and form it into something lovely and practical isn't it?

I have been working with ceramics (earthenware, mid-fire and some porcelain) and live out east - near Belgrave. I've had the same dilemma.

If you PM me, I can give you some contacts and take it from there. I fully believe in supporting artists and hope I can help you in your quest.

All the best and hope to speak to you soon,
BG

tea lady
10th February 2012, 08:09 AM
There is Clayworks in Dandenong! Clayworks Australia (http://www.clayworksaustralia.com/)

Also a lady in Upwey who runs classes and stuff! I haven't got my kiln going at the moment! But will one day!:C I have also been know to give the odd lesson, if you have any questions give me a PM. (How come all the pottery people are in the Hills? :hmm: )

Burlgirl
10th February 2012, 08:13 AM
Hi TL,
perhaps artists are "drawn" to this area. A lovely natural environment that "fires up" the imagination and fuels creativity - excuse the puns (intended) :wink:
BG

tea lady
10th February 2012, 08:22 AM
Hi TL,
perhaps artists are "drawn" to this area. A lovely natural environment that "fires up" the imagination and fuels creativity - excuse the puns (intended) :wink:
BG:doh: Stop it! Go and have another coffee.:U

Burlgirl
10th February 2012, 08:27 AM
Haven't even had my coffee fix yet! Better stay away from the keyboard when I have :D