PDA

View Full Version : Misteral aircon

Beaton
2nd February 2005, 10:43 PM
G’day all just wondering if anyone has had anything to do with Mistral Air conditioners, K-mart has the 1 horsepower for $300,I don’t think it has an inverter but for the price, it also comes with a five year warranty. It only has to cool a room roughly 12 square meters.

jasonbrisbane
3rd February 2005, 12:39 AM
Yeah i got the same 1 for the same dimension room.Very quiet but you get what u pay for ie cheap plastic fittings and crap filtration.

tcns
3rd February 2005, 01:30 AM
I bought one and then took it back after close inspection it looked pretty cheap and as far as I can tell it can be difficult to get service for them, i.e not many warranty agents.

I ended up going for for an Ager air con which cost $499 for the 1 horsepower for the bedroom, had a look inside the two units and there were big differences I installed most of it myself (search here for the threads) and saved a fair bit.

I was at the Action supermarket at Algester on the weekend and saw an exact copy of the air con I paid for on sale for $299 it was identical. IMO I would go and buy this knock off brand over the misteral the construction was better IMO.

Tom

GCP310
3rd February 2005, 11:59 AM
i got two mistral aircons, the 1hp and the 2.5hp.

IMHO very good value for money. i was told by the service agent [ long story,but get someone decent to fit them ] that they are a mitsubshi copy.

G

Beaton
3rd February 2005, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys for the info, havent had a look at the unit yet, going to have a look tonight. some more questions how long have you had them installed and have you had any problems, whats the power usage like.

arose62
3rd February 2005, 01:50 PM
Have just been speaking with an aircon installer about getting our house cooled, and asked his recommendation on brands.

He said good ones were Daiken, Fujitsu, Panasonic (but with high repair costs once out of warranty), and Teco at the cheap end.

He wouldn't touch a lot of other brands, including Mistral, whom he said were pretty c**p, and just leveraging on consumers associating them with the fans they've been selling for years, and assuming fans = air con.

Just a 3rd hand two cents worth.

Cheers,
Andrew

Cassandra
3rd February 2005, 05:10 PM
We just got a Mitsubishi 1.5 for our bedroom. The quietest I have ever heard (or not heard, really) and cooling is great. Told hubby that I can't wait for some hot nights! No comment on his reply. Hope summer keeps on coming and from me that is a REAL change!
It cost $900 and installation was $500. It doesn't heat either, didn't want one that did. Just my 2 cents. ;)

tcns
3rd February 2005, 05:34 PM
There has been another thread on here about those air con units that I was asking about. There were some people on here who had them installed and said they had worked well for the last 12 months.

The only reason I went for a different one was that a friend has 3 of the Ager brands installed for 2 years now and they work like champs. That along with the visual differences in manufacturing was the reason I swapped.

I am sure the units work fine, the guys from the Ager Air Con place were happy for you to do some of the install yourself - I did all of mine (the come with a 10a plug on the end - a little rough but effective none the less) and I saved a good deal of money. There are threads on here with the breakdown in costs

Tom