PDA

View Full Version : Turning exotics

KristianH
3rd February 2005, 12:58 PM
I recently took a trip to a local lumber yard , since I got a gift card to there I dicided to get myslef some rare woods for turning . I've turned most of what I bought (bloodwood , purple heart and mulga) . I've asked my teacher about the wenge and jatoba I bought turn but he says he has no idea. Does any one know who well or poory these two remaining woods turn? Thank you in advanced

PAH1
3rd February 2005, 02:44 PM
Not really familiar with the two timbers that you really seem to be asking about, however I have seen pictures of Wenge finished and it looks good. Being pretty dense you may find it entertaining to turn, but as I said I am not familiar with it. I find the best way is to get it on the lathe and then see what happens, some things require more effort than others to get to an accepable finish.

Cliff Rogers
3rd February 2005, 02:49 PM
G'day.

I've not tried either myself but I have seen a photo of a turned piece made of wenge.

I did a quick search but could only find this about wenge....
Wenge is a heavy, dense wood,
with large, open pores and grows in Africa.

Jatoba has HEAPS more info on the web, mainly about it's medicinal use. Found in Central and South America, this species is very hard and strong. Over 125% harder that red oak, Jatoba has shock resistant qualities similar to ash and hickory. After you finish it, stand back and look at the fine grain that appears. Because of its hardness, Jatoba can be used for many things including furniture, tool handles and flooring. The bark of the tree is similar to paper birch and is great in canoe making.

Ross
3rd February 2005, 03:18 PM
Hi Kristian

I have turned pens in wenge with great results - can't help with the jatoba.

Try it and let us know how you go.

Ross

gatiep
3rd February 2005, 03:50 PM
Use sharp tools, rub the bevel and you will have no problems!

:)

MathewA
3rd February 2005, 04:32 PM
Wenge isn't one of the woods I would say stand out as an easy wood to work with. It's brittle and splinters easily; these splinters have a nasty way of ending up embedded deep in your hand. Don't leave sharp edges when turning. Break sharp edges with sand paper before really "getting" onto it with sanding. Being a very hard wood it sands up well with wet-dry paper and then buffed on a buffing wheel. You should wear a respirator when working ths wood. The only finish I apply is carnauba wax that I work into the buffing wheel when buffing. Used mostly in musical instruments so it's not common in large dimensions. Has a nice look to it.