PDA

View Full Version : Diamond sharpening blocks at Aldi

jhovel
6th February 2012, 10:07 PM
ALDI - special buys from sat 11 feb - hurry, limited stocks in store* (http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_20729.htm?WT.mc_id=2012-02-06-03-14)
from Saturday 11/2/2012
At that price, 4 different grades look pretty cheap....

Joe

Pete F
6th February 2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for putting that up Joe, personally I'm probably pretty good for diamond stones like this but believe others may be keen. As you say, the price is right! Having said that, I've found their stuff can be a bit "variable" in quality, much of it is remarkably good considering the price, but I've also bought some things that are dreadful (digital calipers for example). I can't afford to buy crap . Hopefully somebody will volunteer to be the board's crash test dummy and post what these are like once they arrive.

Pete

4-6-4
6th February 2012, 10:32 PM
Greetings chaps Yes I was one who tried the digital verniers and was dissapointed but these stones could be worth a try 4-6-4

Dave J
6th February 2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks Joe, I will have a look at them.

Dave

morrisman
6th February 2012, 11:34 PM
The local store here has metric tap/die sets for $25 .... has anyone tried them out for quality ?

The diamonds sound good

MIKE

Dave J
7th February 2012, 12:46 AM
I haven't tried them Mike, but they might be ok as some cheap sets are. They would only be carbon steel for that price, but you could always buy a set, take it home and try one, then if it's no good take them back if it's not to far away. After all if they don't cut/work, it's a good enough reason to take them back.

Dave

jack620
7th February 2012, 08:38 AM
Has anyone tried their wipes? They have four types including one for tools:

ALDI - special buys from sat 11 feb - hurry, limited stocks in store* (http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_20721.htm)

Chris

pipeclay
7th February 2012, 08:44 AM
You will need those added vitamins and alovera,for those sensetive ones.

jack620
7th February 2012, 09:03 AM
I thought it was a bit odd that the aloe vera note points to the tool wipes. I'll use those on my delicate measuring tools!

petersemple
7th February 2012, 10:29 AM
Just to chime in, I have the digital calipers and never had any trouble with them.

morrisman
7th February 2012, 12:15 PM
I haven't tried them Mike, but they might be ok as some cheap sets are. They would only be carbon steel for that price, but you could always buy a set, take it home and try one, then if it's no good take them back if it's not to far away. After all if they don't cut/work, it's a good enough reason to take them back.

Dave

Dave

They appear to be HSS as they have a shiny finish . Yes they can be returned , ALDIS are good that way . Carbon stuff usually has that dull look to them .

I noticed that Super c auto have small 1200kg rated $20 trolley jacks on sale again. I have one and they do work work OK , that is until , after about 5 years, the seals fail in the hydraulic cylinder :oo:

Pete F
7th February 2012, 02:24 PM
Just to chime in, I have the digital calipers and never had any trouble with them.

They did a number of early ones and apparently they were fine, but then changed suppliers I guess and the later ones were just crap AND twice the price of what they could have been bought through ebay. Of course I bought 3 pair of the Aldi ones before I realised they'd changed :((

As far as the taps I wouldn't touch them with a 30 ft barge pole. I've had my fill of cheap taps, snap a few off in work and then tell me you still reckon they're a bargain! Some "shiny" taps are still carbon steel. Apart from snapping, the other problem I've seen a number of times with cheap taps (and dies) is being woefully the wrong size. These days there are two things that I will ALWAYS go with the best I can afford; drill bits (although I have some crappy sets for rough work around the house), and especially taps and dies. There are some sellers who sell quality Eastern European taps and dies through ebay at very good prices, just buy what you need as you need them. Apart from the confidence in knowing that so long as you use them properly they aren't likely to fail in the work, good quality taps cut SO much better than cheap garbage. Most home shop users won't wear out taps/dies, so over a lifetime it's not a huge investment in my book. I'm all for trying to save some $$$, but sometimes it's completely false economy.

Pete

morrisman
7th February 2012, 04:49 PM
I generally agree with your sentiments Pete but:

The Quality of some of the ALDI tools isn't too bad for the price, if you are choosy that is . I bought their set of hole cutters for wood , about $7 for the set of five in a neat wooden box . Out of the box they are blunt as, but after a hone , they work fine , even in hardwood. I cut 32mm holes in a 20mm thick hardwood board with ease . For $7, it was a bargain :2tsup:

But yes, they do have a lot of crap tools as well .. MIKE

Pete F
7th February 2012, 07:34 PM
Mike, obviously the decision is yours, but I reckon I'm on a pretty safe bet to say that at 25 bucks for a set they're not going to be top quality. Your example of the hole saws is exactly my point, with something like that if they're not up to scratch you can possibly do something about it, or at worse throw them out. If a crap tap snaps the best you may hope for is a heck of a lot of grief, worse case if you're making something you scrap the piece and start again! I'm definitely not trying to "dis" Aldi, quite the opposite, I've often bought tools, screws, etc from them and it's the only catalogue I read each week. But taps is something I generally urge others to not make the same mistake(s) I have.

A while back I was tapping an M10 hole IIRC. The tap was from an "ok" metric set I've had for many years, but I was having a really hard time getting the thread to tap really nicely. In desperation I asked my neighbour if I could borrow one of his good taps (I hate borrowing things so that just goes to show how desperate I was). What I'd been struggling with then just became the routing operation it should have been. Nothing technically "wrong" with my M10, it just illustrated the difference between a good quality and properly sharpened tap, and an "ok" tap. A cheap tap ... chances are that would have snapped.

I used to think cheap taps were ok to chase threads out, but when I started coming across some that were the wrong size I decided there was never a time to go that way; why screw up a perfectly good thread.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth. It wasn't that long ago I went through this process for the second time, it was a complete waste of money and at the end of the day I had to go buy decent ones anyway. Complete false economy.

Pete

munruben
7th February 2012, 08:26 PM
why screw up a perfectly good thread.
Pete Isn't that what you are supposed to do? :D:2tsup:

munruben
7th February 2012, 08:28 PM
Must admit I found the callipers to be okay, had no problems with them and also the wooden plane was and is pretty good too.

Pete F
7th February 2012, 09:19 PM
Must admit I found the callipers to be okay, had no problems with them and also the wooden plane was and is pretty good too.

When did you buy the calipers? I bought mine about a year ago(????), they were truly dreadful. I bought them to disassemble, cut apart etc to put on machines as cheap DROs,but there's no way in heck I'm putting crap like that anywhere near my machines ... and I'm sure as heck not too precious about my Chinese drill press :q

Pete

Master Splinter
11th February 2012, 02:48 PM
Well, I got one of the diamond shapeners - I'd rate it as quite ok for kitchen or freehand use, but you'd want to take the plates off and glue them onto something solid for, say, plane blade sharpening. Iits possible to get a considerable deflection in the plate when sharpening without all that much force.

However I can see myself happily sitting in front of the TV touching up carbide router bits with it.

Update - the deflection appears to be in the plate (not secured well) not the mounting block. Careful mounting with epoxy might be a solution.

jhovel
11th February 2012, 03:02 PM
I got mine this morning and found it pretty good. Very handy havind 4 different grades from 200 to 600 in the one block!
I wonder if Master Splinter is using too much down pressure? Mine has no appreciable deflection at the forces I use.
The plates are glued to a fairly lightweight square plastic extrusion, so there may be opportunity to improve - I concur with that idea.
Joe

Big Shed
11th February 2012, 03:36 PM
I got one of these this morning and found that quite a few, if not all, have some indentations in the non-perforated ends of one of the diamond plates. Most of these seem to be on the blue (600#) plate.

I thought I had picked one without the indentations, but on unpacking it I found some on the blue plate.

Oh well, back to Aldi I go:doh:

morrisman
11th February 2012, 04:57 PM
I have had a chance to use the $25 ALDIS tap/die set . It all comes in a steel case

First impression is , the taps go through mild steel like a hot knife through butter, no problem at all .

The set includes matching drills for the taps , and the dies are well shaped too.

The tap holder held the taps without any bother .

For $25 , its a bargain ..Just my thoughts .

The set also has a 1/8 and 1/4 " BSP dies . And a set of metric thread gauges .

Mike

morrisman
11th February 2012, 05:07 PM
Pic

I dont think these sets are available this week, they were there last week

Dave J
11th February 2012, 06:01 PM
I have had a chance to use the $25 ALDIS tap/die set . It all comes in a steel case

First impression is , the taps go through mild steel like a hot knife through butter, no problem at all .

The set includes matching drills for the taps , and the dies are well shaped too.

The tap holder held the taps without any bother .

For $25 , its a bargain ..Just my thoughts .

The set also has a 1/8 and 1/4 " BSP dies . And a set of metric thread gauges .

Mike

Sometimes you get lucky like that with cheap sets, after all the proof is in the test. At least anyone looking at a set now knows they are OK.
It's surprising that some of the stuff from there is pretty good for the home shop. I don't think I will ever go back to hard square uncomfortable handled wire brushes, the Aldi ones have spoiled me, LOL

Dave

Greg Q
11th February 2012, 06:46 PM
I wish I had seen those cheap tap sets last week: The case looks good enough to tip the contents into the bin and insert ebay goodies into.

I am guilty of owning "good" drills/auger bits/router bits/sockets/spanners/things which I use every day, and "Really good ditto", which I use for special jobs...ie never. The temptation would be to go the same way with taps, so maybe I'm glad I missed the taps

Last year I bought a cheap (I think $45) Fein multitool copy...one of those all purpose sander/saw things. I don't normally do that, but for one job, what the heck. Turns out I have used it for about 12 hours, Mike has used it for at least that much as has another friend. Ended up being the single most-used tool this year, and its still going strong. Aldi had them on today...Mike just dropped in to the local store at 3 pm...manager said that they were all gone by 8:30 Am statewide.

(I have a few genuine Fein attachments which bolt right on. Kind of makes (and I am a serious tool snob) the basic kit $450 Fein price a bit much. This experience has made me wonder about my basic assumptions about the price/quality curve*

*my last Chinese tool was 40% the price of the German one, but it only lasted 8 seconds before my wife had a handful of smoke.

Greg

jack620
12th February 2012, 07:58 AM
Greg,
If (when) the Aldi multi-tool blows up, you can get the entry level Fein FMM250-START (250W, no quick-release plus a few accessories) in Hong Kong for a little over $200. Smooth a silk and fairly quiet.
Chris

Greg Q
12th February 2012, 08:11 AM
Thanks Chris...that's good to know. I'm looking forward to getting back up there for some small tool acquisition missions.

Greg

munruben
12th February 2012, 08:18 AM
When did you buy the calipers? I bought mine about a year ago(????), they were truly dreadful. I bought them to disassemble, cut apart etc to put on machines as cheap DROs,but there's no way in heck I'm putting crap like that anywhere near my machines ... and I'm sure as heck not too precious about my Chinese drill press :q

PeteSorry, only jut caught up with this again. I got my calipers about 3 years ago as I remember.

Pete F
13th February 2012, 09:58 PM
Cheers John, apparently they changed since then, a shame really but never mind.

Mike hopefully they work out for you. Sadly one typically finds out the "cheap" tap wasn't such a bargain not by how well it cuts or not, but with the sound of that faint, yet unmistakeable, "tink" as it snaps. Ask me how I know, numerous times ... no come to think about it, don't remind me :wink:

Pete

Abratool
14th February 2012, 11:42 AM
Pete
Maybe someone can answer this....
If you have say 12 holes to tap, all goes well for the 11 holes & for some unknown reason, if a tap is to break, it will generally break in that last hole. :rolleyes:
Thats been my experience.
Bruce

wheelinround
14th February 2012, 01:11 PM
Sorry, only jut caught up with this again. I got my calipers about 3 years ago as I remember.

Vernier calipers on again NOW @ $20

ninpoman
14th February 2012, 01:48 PM
diamond stone worked fine so not bad for $10

Abratool
14th February 2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks Wheelinaround
I read your post about the Aldi Calipers & have just purchased a set,for $20
The Verniers Ive been using for about 55 years are "Helios" made in Germany. They are of course, non digital.
This morning using the old verniers I notice often I needed a head magnifier as the eyes are fading.
Dont expect the new digitals too be of a quality to write home about, but so far so good :2tsup:
Now back to the lathe :)
Bruce

wheelinround
14th February 2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks Wheelinaround
I read your post about the Aldi Calipers & have just purchased a set,for $20
The Verniers Ive been using for about 55 years are "Helios" made in Germany. They are of course, non digital.
This morning using the old verniers I notice often I needed a head magnifier as the eyes are fading.
Dont expect the new digitals too be of a quality to write home about, but so far so good :2tsup:
Now back to the lathe :)
Bruce

Only problem I find with any digital tool is interference from other electrical pulses sometimes. One real cheap set jumps about on the read out Not Aldi ones tho yet.

I know an engineering co who rushes out and buys the Aldi ones when ever they are on. dropped damaged so they replace boss missplaces

Abratool
14th February 2012, 07:58 PM
Wheelinaround
I am so happy with the Aldi Calipers, I am getting another set in the morning.
Sure, the set I got today, were only put thru their paces for a few hours, but they have come thru with full marks.
Cannot, believe that these can be purchased for $20
This world is scary :oo:
Where are we heading :o
Bruce

Big Shed
14th February 2012, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=Abratool;1445408
Where are we heading :o
Bruce[/QUOTE]

To Aldi in the morning?:D

All jokes aside, I have a few of these, used in different areas in the shed as well as mounted on some machines, can't fault them.

I also have a set that cost several times more and it annoys the cr*p out of me, every time it switches itself off it comes back on to zero wherever it sits so you lose your previous measurement. It doesn't get used very often.:no:

_fly_
14th February 2012, 08:30 PM
There is a mob called star corp in oakleigh sth (5 or 8 margaret street) that sell wholesale direct to public. They have the same size as aldi's for 12 bucks, I got one of these and I also got a 12 inch one for 15 bucks. They have lots of good stuff cheap. A friend needed to get castors for wooden boxes (screw plate) and paid 4.95 for a pair at the BGS. Starcorp have them for 40 cents each (same size). I got 1 metre sash clamps for 15 dollars each. So if your ever in the area (think its 6 or 8 margaret st oakleigh south) drop in. They have those huge rolling toolchests as well, painted and stainless. gools link is http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Margaret+St,+Oakleigh+South,+VIC&hl=en&ll=-37.916999,145.112314&spn=0.000017,0.012317&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=54.269804,100.898438&hnear=Margaret+St,+Oakleigh+South+Victoria+3167,+Australia&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=-37.916453,145.11134&panoid=yVzQKRVLy__4xZgkeAfGSw&cbp=12,203.4,,2,-0.48

danielhobby
16th February 2012, 09:29 PM
picked up the diamond block today and dressed up some half sharp knives that were blunted on a carcass a fortnight ago and then honed on a fine diamond steel,it was the quickest dressing i have ever seen!If the plates hold their grit edge i will buy more when i get back to aldi. Not so sure about the tap set though,the lead in taper is hand ground,not so flash i think.

retired_eka
16th February 2012, 11:34 PM
After the initial rush at $25 they are now $19.99, couldn't pass not getting a set just to have for the odd thread cleanup. Nice case, good finish and range of sizes plus drills all in the one location when you need it.

Its actually 35 pieces if you include the case, not bad for 57 cents each

Now where have I put the cut tobacco tins with all those odd taps and dies I have been collecting.