PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Wedge

Anorak Bob
6th February 2012, 11:05 PM
No not choc.

GQ called in for a session of show and tell during a stop over in Perth yesterday. He brought with him one of a pair of Royal sensitive drill arbors Royal Products (http://www.royalprod.com/product.cfm?catID=16) that he had purchased from the States for our little Albrecht drill chucks. He also brought with him an abundance of humour. We had a great afternoon..

My chuck has a Jacobs O taper and was fitted with a straight arbor. Jacobs make chuck removal wedges to suit the J1 taper but not the JO. I tried to belt the chuck off with a brass drift but I could see that turning to tears very quickly. So I made a pair of wedges from some spare stainless flat bar. Ground the bevels on my disc sander and filed the slots. Rough and ready and did the job with one hammer tap.

The little drill and it's finger feed work beautifully. I tried it out at 6000 rpm and the action is both smooth and sensitive. A worthwhile acquisition. Thank you again Gregory.

If anyone needs to use my wedges they are only a stamped envelope away.

BT

Dave J
7th February 2012, 12:55 AM
Hi Bob,
It's always a good day to meet up with like minded forum members. Those wedges look like they did the job.

Dave

Bryan
7th February 2012, 08:23 AM
I need to make a pair of those too, so I can get that POS chuck off the Waldown. I was going to try cutting the taper on the shaper, but the belt grinder is a much better idea. Maybe a file to finish. Thanks Bob.

Abratool
7th February 2012, 10:49 AM
No not choc.

GQ called in for a session of show and tell during a stop over in Perth yesterday. He brought with him one of a pair of Royal sensitive drill arbors Royal Products (http://www.royalprod.com/product.cfm?catID=16) that he had purchased from the States for our little Albrecht drill chucks. He also brought with him an abundance of humour. We had a great afternoon..

My chuck has a Jacobs O taper and was fitted with a straight arbor. Jacobs make chuck removal wedges to suit the J1 taper but not the JO. I tried to belt the chuck off with a brass drift but I could see that turning to tears very quickly. So I made a pair of wedges from some spare stainless flat bar. Ground the bevels on my disc sander and filed the slots. Rough and ready and did the job with one hammer tap.

The little drill and it's finger feed work beautifully. I tried it out at 6000 rpm and the action is both smooth and sensitive. A worthwhile acquisition. Thank you again Gregory.

If anyone needs to use my wedges they are only a stamped envelope away.

BT
The Royal Sensitive drill holder looks to be very useful. I could use one.
How much do they cost approx ? Where is the easiest place to purchase ?
Please lets know the drill sizes that fit into the small chuck ?
Bob, I have not forgotten the request for Hercus Turret set up, & will do some work on it today & get back to you, & others who may be interested.
regards
Bruce

Anorak Bob
7th February 2012, 04:06 PM
I paid Gregory fifty bucks for the arbor Bruce. They were from Enco in the US, undoubtedly part of some bulk order. Hand delivery cut out Australia Post and GQ being the generous bloke he is, wore the US shipping. I have never purchased anything from Enco so I don't know if you would get clipped for shipping. Greg and I had looked at the cheap arbor offered by Arc Euro Trade in the UK but then he found the Royals. Secondhand original Albrecht sensitive arbors are thin on the ground.

Drill Chuck Arbors - Arc Euro Trade (http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Chucks/Drill-Chuck-Arbors)

BT

PS. 0 - 1/8" capacity. They make a smaller 0 - 1/16".

Dave J
7th February 2012, 04:29 PM
Hi Bruce,
It would make a nice little project to make one.

Dave

Abratool
7th February 2012, 05:22 PM
Dave
Yes I have considered that possibility.
Today Ive been experimenting with 3C collets & 3MT to 3C adaptor in the Hercus Model O mill , with good results, but a sensitive Drill chuck would have uses in it & the Drill Press & Lathe.
I have noticed Ozemestore has them but do not know if they have the spring return which is a nice feature.
regards
Bruce

Greg Q
7th February 2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks to Bob and his lovely wife for the wonderful hospitality and the show and tell. Bob has some delicious machines, and I hope that little Royal arbor geta a lot of use.

I bought two of these from Enco for around $50 each. They really are nice, but mine is for sale because I didn't realise that my Albrecht chuck has the rare J1 taper. Sadly they don't make sensitive arbors in that size.

So, if you want one, give me a call. My like new 0-3mm chuck on a straight 1/2" shank is also probably going to be available.

Greg

RayG
7th February 2012, 09:20 PM
Hi GQ,

I don't have a need for a sensitive drill chuck, but I'm hoping you can solve a mystery for me, Just how big is Bob's famous garden shed?... :D

I have this mental picture of a huge Indiana Jones type warehouse stacked floor to ceiling with wooden boxes of rare machine parts... hidden inside a tardis like garden shed exterior...

Regards
Ray

Dave J
7th February 2012, 09:47 PM
Hi GQ,

I don't have a need for a sensitive drill chuck, but I'm hoping you can solve a mystery for me, Just how big is Bob's famous garden shed?... :D

I have this mental picture of a huge Indiana Jones type warehouse stacked floor to ceiling with wooden boxes of rare machine parts... hidden inside a tardis like garden shed exterior...

Regards
Ray

:roflmao2:

Abratool
7th February 2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks to Bob and his lovely wife for the wonderful hospitality and the show and tell. Bob has some delicious machines, and I hope that little Royal arbor geta a lot of use.

I bought two of these from Enco for around $50 each. They really are nice, but mine is for sale because I didn't realise that my Albrecht chuck has the rare J1 taper. Sadly they don't make sensitive arbors in that size.

So, if you want one, give me a call. My like new 0-3mm chuck on a straight 1/2" shank is also probably going to be available.

Greg
Greg
I am interested in the Royal Sensitive Arbor. Please lets know if you want to sell it.
I will seek out a chuck for it seperately.
regards
Bruce

Greg Q
8th February 2012, 10:28 AM
Hi GQ,

Regards
Ray

I am kind of sworn to secrecy owing the bending of the physical constants and what-not, but I will say that once in the door we boarded the Monorail and rode for a while towards the back wall where all the machine tool stuff is stored. I think Bob has Leonardo DaVinci's ghost back there cranking out drawings. Stacks of crates piled up towards the ceiling which was obscured by a layer of cloud. Think of Hong Kong, only bigger. Later we boarded a train at X-Y Junction for the ride back to the outside. The whole thing took no more than 211.33345 minutes.

I hope that goes some way towards describing it...all in all a trip well worth it.

Greg, punchy after a night over thhe South China Sea.

Dave J
8th February 2012, 04:23 PM
I should visit myself, just the Monorail sounds like an exciting ride.:D

Dave

Greg Q
8th February 2012, 06:24 PM
Yes it does Dave. Monorail! It quickens the pulse just to think of it. It was like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory, only more precise, and oilier. Actually, it wasn't like that at all, and now I'm sorry I even mentioned that. Those oompa loompas always scared me. Dwarfs too, but thats for another thread.

G

harty69
8th February 2012, 08:16 PM
And from what I have seen of BT's collection of tools they must be bathed in some alien type gas that dissolves rust and turns cheep Chinese steel into magnificent European pieces of machinery art

cheers
Harty

RayG
8th February 2012, 08:18 PM
Hi GQ,

Thanks for the picturesque report on BT's top secret classified underground storage facilities, the high-tech monorail surprises me somewhat, I was envisaging a 1930's era art-deco styled streamlined steam train.. attended by swiss engineers in full railway garb with highly polished oil cans at the ready... :)

Maybe like this one.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f65/189950d1322905343-better-than-hofbrauhaus-bier-stein-pressol-005-large-.jpg

That's says it all, style, design and function...

Regards
Ray

Greg Q
9th February 2012, 02:57 AM
Well Ray, to Molify your aesthetic concerns somewhat I should point out that I got a chance to hold that very oil can, and now I will not rest until I have one or two.

The monorail runs with Swiss precision, but its unlike anything you've ever seen: it has one giant wheel protruding through the carriage, tended by comely swiss lasses wearing a modified lederhosen outfit with oil cans and an attentive expression. Once the thing gets going the crew performs a slap dance as seen at the Heidelburg castle during tourist season. I found it an exotic yet tasteful display of that Swiss precision juice in action. Recommended, but not for the youngsters.

GQ

RayG
9th February 2012, 03:31 AM
....tended by comely swiss lasses wearing a modified lederhosen outfit with oil cans and an attentive expression. Once the thing gets going the crew performs a slap dance as seen at the Heidelburg castle during tourist season. I found it an exotic yet tasteful display of that Swiss precision juice in action. Recommended, but not for the youngsters.

GQ

Hi GQ,

Tis the night for working late...

Ahh...the difficult blend of exotic with tasteful, done with the sort of precision only the swiss have completely mastered...

Lederhosen, really?.. hmm... I was expecting they would be wearing low cut dirndl's.... :D

Still it's a great mental picture....

Regards
Ray