PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 41/2?

johnredl
8th February 2012, 12:47 PM
Hi Guys

My local cash converters have a practically new (no wear, rust, pitting, its straight, and fairly shiny) Stanley 41/2 with a plastic handle (can't be that hard to make a wooden one using the plastic as a guide). They are asking $120, which I thought was a little pricey. I don't have any smoothing planes, so I was thinking that I am better off leaving it and looking elsewhere, but just in case, I thought that I should ask those that know better than me.

What do you think?

Ta :)

NCArcher
8th February 2012, 01:04 PM
Definately not. Plenty of better quality older 4½s on ebay for a lot less.

This one is a little on the late side but not bad.
STANLEY 4 1/2 TYPE 19 MADE IN ENGLAND EXCELLENT HARDLY USED | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STANLEY-4-1-2-TYPE-19-MADE-ENGLAND-EXCELLENT-HARDLY-USED-/370581808457?pt=AU_ToolsHardwareLocks&hash=item564865a549)

even this should clean up ok
STANLEY 4 1/2 PLANE Made in England | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STANLEY-4-1-2-PLANE-Made-England-/380409080802?pt=AU_ToolsHardwareLocks&hash=item589225ebe2)

Virgil
8th February 2012, 01:12 PM
I invoke the spirit of Kerrigan. Tell 'em their dreamin'.

Cheers,
Virg.

IanW
8th February 2012, 02:28 PM
As the others said, probably not worth half that price. Wooden totes (i.e. original, not replacements) don't gaurantee a great plane, but they usually indicate it comes from the right era.....

Cheers,

johnc
8th February 2012, 03:22 PM
There are two 4 1/2's for sale here in the "for sales" the dearer is one I'm selling, but if you want a decent 4 1/2 at a very reasonable price have a look at the other. However my preference for a first plane is either a #4 or #5 the #4 1/2 is a bit wider and a bit heavier. A link is http://www.woodworkforums.com/f221/bailey-4-1-2-plane-146693/ and the plane a mere $55

Vann
8th February 2012, 03:32 PM
Wot they said:!

If it's got plastic handles it's from an era where your chances of striking a good one are low. The older you go the better the chance of striking a good one (even allowing for the wear and tear of age).

And at that price, why risk it (unless you want a nice shiney ornament to sit on a shelf in the shed :U ).

Cheers, Vann.

johnredl
8th February 2012, 05:57 PM
I thought as much. Thanks guys. I thought it'd b worth about $60-$70, to which the sales guy nearly had a seizure. Do u think they over paid?!!

I was looking for both a smoother, & something bit smaller than my #7.

IanW
8th February 2012, 07:54 PM
I thought as much. Thanks guys. I thought it'd b worth about $60-$70, to which the sales guy nearly had a seizure. Do u think they over paid?!!

I rather think they might have - whoever flogged that plane to them must have had a good pitch, and in any case, I don't imagine the average CC clerk is familiar with the arcane world of hand planes. But if I were you, I'd be much more interested in some of the alternatives you've been offered. :;
Cheers,

steck
8th February 2012, 09:25 PM
I agree with the other comments. Way overpriced!
I bought one on ebay for spares and paid $25. It was so good that I couldn't bear to cannabilise it and kept it!

andrewr79
12th February 2012, 07:04 AM
I thought it'd b worth about $60-$70, to which the sales guy nearly had a seizure. Do u think they over paid?!!

Considering anyone who knows planes avoids them and anyone who doesn't is more likely to pick up a $20 bunnings one - yes!. If good #4's go for anywhere between $5 and $60, then $120 for a bad one isn't going to work!

What's wrong with a #7 as a smoother?. I was doing chamfers with mine the other day :D

johnredl
12th February 2012, 07:42 AM
Considering anyone who knows planes avoids them and anyone who doesn't is more likely to pick up a $20 bunnings one - yes!. If good #4's go for anywhere between $5 and $60, then $120 for a bad one isn't going to work!

What's wrong with a #7 as a smoother?. I was doing chamfers with mine the other day :D

I ended up getting a #4 & #5 from Pac Man. Including postage, I think the price is fairly in line with eBay, maybe a touch more. But at least buying from a forumite should end me with a better, more honest plane then eBay.

About the #7, I'm still learning how to use it. I know that I need something smaller, so I took the opportunity to get both.

tonyw
12th February 2012, 12:17 PM

What's wrong with a #7 as a smoother? ... :D

I agree. I am using my no 7 more and more and with a sharp blade and fine adjustment it leaves surfaces just as smooth as any other plane. Today I was using it to level and smooth the tops of some drawers that I have been making. The long sole makes it ideal. It is also good for smoothing a panel which you want to keep flat. (It also helps to maintain upper body strength)

andrewr79
12th February 2012, 01:10 PM
I ended up getting a #4 & #5 from Pac Man. Including postage, I think the price is fairly in line with eBay, maybe a touch more. But at least buying from a forumite should end me with a better, more honest plane then eBay.

Good choices :D