Your left foot out,
Your left foot in,
And shake it all about.
You do the hokey pokey
And turn yourself around
That's what it's all about.

THE HOKEY POKEY: in the Shakespearean Style

O proud left foot, that ventures quick within
Then soon upon a backward journey lithe.
Anon, once more the gesture, then begin:
Command sinistral pedestal to writhe.
Commence thou then the fervid Hokey-Poke.
A mad gyration, hips in wanton swirl.
To spin! A wilde release from heaven's yoke.
Blessed dervish! Surely canst go, girl.
The Hoke, the Poke -- banish now thy doubt
Verily, I say, 'tis what it's all about.

echnidna
3rd February 2005, 07:07 PM
Which version do you do Christopha???

Christopha
3rd February 2005, 07:23 PM
Why dost thou enquire forsooth? :cool:

echnidna
3rd February 2005, 07:29 PM
As Iain said earlier I'm bored today, been watching paint dry. :) :)

Cliff Rogers
3rd February 2005, 08:46 PM
With all the sadness and trauma going on in the world at the moment,
it is worth reflecting on the death of a very important person
which almost went unnoticed.

Larry La Prise, the man who wrote, "The Hokey Pokey",
died peacefully aged 83.

The most traumatic part for his family was putting him in the coffin.
They put his left leg in - and things just went downhill from there.

vsquizz
4th February 2005, 01:21 AM
Cliff thats pretty close to a Reddie:D

beejay1
4th February 2005, 03:19 AM
cliff, he died years ago, dont tell me that havent got that other leg in yet.
Maybe foily can buid him a special coffin

beejay1

Termite
4th February 2005, 08:37 AM
Christopha mate, you're usually pushed to come up with a decent sentence in Australian, how the hell did you manage the Iambic Pentameter. :D :D
( dont delete it, I wasn't swearing) :D

Christopha
4th February 2005, 09:34 AM
Whassat????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Iain
4th February 2005, 10:36 AM
Non lineal structure, wow, smart asre mode on :D :D :D

Termite
4th February 2005, 10:38 AM
Whassat????? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Its the style of verse in which old Willy Shakespear wrote. ;)

Christopha
4th February 2005, 10:50 AM
Whossat??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Termite
4th February 2005, 10:58 AM
Whossat??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Iambic pentameter is a meter in poetry, consisting of lines with five feet (hence "pentameter") in which the iamb is the dominant foot (hence "Iambic"). Iambic rhythms are quite easy to write in English and iambic pentameter is among the most common metrical forms in English poetry. Like the rest of the meters it has its origins in Greek poetry.

William Shakespeare, like many of his contemporaries, wrote poetry and drama in iambic pentameter and is one of the masters of the craft. John Milton's unrhymed blank verse in Paradise Lost and his other epic poems use iambic pentameter as well.

Here is an example of iambic pentameter from Christopher Marlowe's "Dr Faustus":

Was this the face that launch'd a thousand ships
And burnt the topless towers of Ilium?
When read aloud, such verse naturally follows a beat. There is some debate over whether works such as Shakespeare's and Marlowe's were originally performed with the rhythm prominent, or whether it was disguised by the patterns of normal speech as is common today. In written form, the rhythm looks like this:

da-DUM da-DUM da-DUM da-DUM da-DUM
(weak STRONG / weak STRONG / weak STRONG / weak STRONG / weak STRONG)
Was-THIS the-FACE that-LAUNCH'D a-THOU sand-SHIPS
Although strictly speaking, iambic pentameter refers to five iambs in a row (as above), in practice, most poets vary their iambic pentameter a great deal, while maintaining the iamb as the most common foot. The second foot of a line of iambic pentameter is almost never altered. The first foot, on the other hand, is the most likely to be changed, often in order to highlight a particular word or mark a shift in a poem. A trochaic inversion, in which a trochee is substituted for an iamb in the first foot, is perhaps the most common alteration of the iambic pentameter pattern.

Here is the first quatrain of a sonnet by John Donne that demonstrates how poets use variations in their iambic pentameter:

Batter my heart three-personed God, for you
as yet but knock, breathe, shine and seek to mend.
That I may rise and stand o'erthrow me and bend
Your force to break, blow, burn and make me new.
The rhythm is:

DUM da | da DUM | da DUM | da DUM | da DUM
da DUM | da DUM | DUM DUM | da DUM | da DUM
da DUM | da DUM | da DUM | DUM DUM |dada DUM
da DUM | da DUM | DUM DUM | da DUM | da DUM
Donne uses a trochaic inversion in the first line to stress the key verb, "batter", and then sets up a clear iambic pattern with the rest of the line (da DUM da DUM da DUM da DUM). He uses spondees in the third foot to slow down the rhythm when he lists verbs in lines 2 and 4. The parallel rhythm and grammar of these lines highlights the comparison Donne sets up between what God does to him "as yet" (knock, breathe, shine and seek to mend"), and what he asks God to do ("break, blow, burn and make me new"). Donne also uses enjambement between lines 3 and 4 to speed up the flow as he builds to his desire to be made new. To further the quickening effect of the enjambement, Donne puts an anapest (dada DUM) in the final foot, carrying you to the next line.

Most poets who have a great facility for iambic pentameter frequently vary the rhythm of their poetry as Donne does here, both to create a more interesting overall rhythm and to highlight important thematic elements. In fact, the skilful variation of iambic pentameter, rather than the consistent use of it, may well be what distinguishes the rhythmic artistry of poets like Donne, Shakespeare, Milton, and the 20th century sonneteer Edna St. Vincent Millay.

Is it clear now :D :D :D :D

DaveInOz
4th February 2005, 01:37 PM
So in my world we are talking about
There ONCE was A man FROM nanTUkET
..... :o

Geoff Dean
4th February 2005, 01:38 PM
Duh, I thought everyone would have known that!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Geoff Dean
4th February 2005, 01:39 PM
Missed by that much . .

My reply was to Termite, Not DaveInOz :D :D

Grunt
4th February 2005, 01:50 PM
Ok, exluding this post, from now on everyone must do thier posts in either iambic pentameter or in Haiku.

Termite
4th February 2005, 01:55 PM
What is Haiku?

Haiku is one of the most important form of traditional japanese poetry. Haiku is, today, a 17-syllable verse form consisting of three metrical units of 5, 7, and 5 syllables. Since early days, there has been confusion between the three related terms Haiku, Hokku and Haikai. The term hokku literally means "starting verse", and was the first starting link of a much longer chain of verses known as haika. Because the hokku set the tone for the rest of the poetic chain, it enjoyed a privileged position in haikai poetry, and it was not uncommon for a poet to compose a hokku by itself without following up with the rest of the chain.
Largely through the efforts of Masaoka Shiki, this independence was formally established in the 1890s through the creation of the term haiku. This new form of poetry was to be written, read and understood as an independent poem, complete in itself, rather than part of a longer chain.
Strictly speaking, then, the history of haiku begins only in the last years of the 19th century. The famous verses of such Edo-period (1600-1868) masters as Basho, Yosa Buson, and Kobayashi Issa are properly referred to as hokku and must be placed in the perspective of the history of haikai even though they are now generally read as independent haiku. In HAIKU for PEOPLE, both terms will be treated equally! The distinction between hokku and haiku can be handled
by using the terms Classical Haiku and Modern Haiku.

Modern Haiku.
The history of the modern haiku dates from Masaoka Shiki's reform, begun in 1892, which established haiku as a new independent poetic form. Shiki's reform did not change two traditional elements of haiku: the division of 17 syllables into three groups of 5, 7, and 5 syllables and the inclusion of a seasonal theme.
Kawahigashi Hekigoto carried Shiki's reform further with two proposals:

Haiku would be truer to reality if there were no center of interest in it.
The importance of the poet's first impression, just as it was, of subjects taken
from daily life, and of local colour to create freshness.

Don't blame me blame Grunt :D :D :D

Iain
4th February 2005, 01:59 PM
Don't encourage him Grunt, he's becoming impossible ;)

craigb
4th February 2005, 02:15 PM
Ain't Google wonderful ? ;)

DaveInOz
4th February 2005, 02:35 PM
Google carefully
In the vastness of cyber space
You could find yourself

Termite
4th February 2005, 02:37 PM
Google carefully
In the vastness of cyber space
You could find yourself
Ah so David san, velly nice. :D

echnidna
4th February 2005, 09:06 PM
There was a time when a google was a boiled egg. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

RETIRED
6th February 2005, 02:40 AM
There ia a school of thought that says that Iambic pentameters were actually meant to be sung.

There is a bloke who has just converted "Much ado about nothing" into a musical to be presented in February in the parks of Melbourne.

Robert WA
6th February 2005, 03:11 PM
Quote: "Iambic pentameter is a meter in poetry, consisting of lines with five feet (hence "pentameter")"

If you had 5 feet, how would you do the Hokey Pokey?

You put your 3rd from the left foot in......

It just won't scan!!!!!!

There was a young man from Japan
Whose poems I just couldn't scan
When I told him so
He replied, "Yes, I know"
"Because it has always been my practice to fit as many words into the last line as I possibly can".

vsquizz
6th February 2005, 04:12 PM
iambic pentameter (eye-<SMALL style="TEXT-TRANSFORM: uppercase">am</SMALL>-bik pen-<SMALL style="TEXT-TRANSFORM: uppercase">tam</SMALL>-uh-tuhr)

The most common meter (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2058_[meter]) in English verse (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2058_[verse]). It consists of a line ten syllables (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2058_[syllable]) long that is accented on every second beat (see blank verse (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2058_)). These lines in... (showing 200 of 573 characters)

Meter or Metre

A measure of rhythmic quantity, the organized succession of groups of syllables at basically regular intervals in a line of poetry, according to definite metrical patterns. In classic Greek... (showing 205 of 536 characters)

i·am·bic (ī-ăm[b]'bĭk) http://www.gurunet.com/content/img/pron.gif
adj.
Consisting of iambs or characterized by their predominance: iambic pentameter.

n.

An iamb.
A verse, stanza, or poem written in iambs. Often used in the plural.

Cheers

vsquizz
6th February 2005, 04:15 PM
There was a young man from Japan
Whose poems I just couldn't scan
When I told him so
He replied, "Aah So"

:D

scooter
7th February 2005, 12:26 AM
There ia a school of thought that says that Iambic pentameters were actually meant to be sung.

There is a bloke who has just converted "Much ado about nothing" into a musical to be presented in February in the parks of Melbourne.

At least it's not as highbrow as that fancy-schmantzy new musical version of Debbie does Dallas. Fair dinkum, musical theatre is SO out of touch with the common man...:p :p

More iabmic pentameters I say.... :o :o :eek: :eek:

Oh, and , what's this "There is a bloke who..." bizness, we all know modesty precludes you from revealing your musical bent... ;) :D

Cheers.............Sean the lyrical waxer

Iain
7th February 2005, 08:10 AM
More iabmic pentameters I say.... :o :o :eek: :eek:

Shouldeth that not read 'Say I'? ;)

scooter
7th February 2005, 10:24 PM
Out out damned mistake... :)

Cheers say I ...........Sean the wordmasher