PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus nickol(somethingorother)

Ivor
3rd February 2005, 09:11 PM
I have just been offered access to a Euc with a species name nickolonsii or something like that, growing in Armidale. Don't know the common name either. The main trunk is about 6m tall, fairly straight and about 40 -50 cm cm diameter. Any opinions of whether it is worth the trouble of finding someone to mill it for me, is the wood likley to be worth the money? I think I have got the space to let it sit and dry.

thanks

PAH1
4th February 2005, 09:46 AM
If it is E. nicholii ie narrow leaf peppermint, do not bother. They are common along the creek areas in the armidale area. It splits badly when sawn in any direction, I was not able to stop mine from cracking in any of the normal means. It is also supposed to warp like crazy even once you get it dry. do a search on peppermint in the timber section and there are at least two threads dealing with this tree.

jshaw
4th February 2005, 09:49 AM
I asked a similar question last year as we had a E. nicholii at work that was due to come down. The advice I got was to forget it because it splits too much and you just can't stop it happening.

Cheers,
John

Ivor
4th February 2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks guys, It definitely was a nicholi. I rang the forestry dept and apparently they kiln dry the stuff. The guy said that it would be good for indoor use but definitely not suitable for outdoor. Giving it doesn't seem like anything speccy I think I'll give it a miss.

I love this forum, it just saved me some $$$$

AlexS
4th February 2005, 09:31 PM
I love this forum, it just saved me some $$$$

Those $$$$ are crying out to be spent on some tools or timber. ;)