PDA

View Full Version : Fish oil

seafurymike
10th February 2012, 08:49 AM
Q. My uncle was trying to tell me that fish oil is the way to go to protect my machines from rust. Bull or not!

I know it will stink for a while, but he said it went away after a couple of weeks.

I think id rather keep using the old motor oil unless there are huge benefits in fish oil.

Anyone know or heard of using this?

wheelinround
10th February 2012, 08:54 AM
Fish oil was used in cars long before rust prevention of these days to prevent rust. I knew of one fellow who used fish oil many years ago on tools back in the 60's.

calala
10th February 2012, 09:12 AM
Yes it does work however it can stay on your hands after you wash them.
Also I haven't seen any rusty fish. :no:

bollie7
10th February 2012, 09:23 AM
and all the local cats will love you as well.:)

bollie7

LordBug
10th February 2012, 10:48 AM
I've recently discovered the joy of lanolin.
I've got one can of it which has become one of my favourite items in the shed. I've been using it to clean up and hopefully protect quite a few things, though the real test of its lasting ability will be when the damp weather returns, but for the time being, it's a very pleasant aroma.

seafurymike
10th February 2012, 10:57 AM
Whats a can of lanolin cost. Probably much less than squeezing the oil out fish!

BobL
10th February 2012, 11:09 AM
Q. My uncle was trying to tell me that fish oil is the way to go to protect my machines from rust. Bull or not!

I know it will stink for a while, but he said it went away after a couple of weeks.

I think id rather keep using the old motor oil unless there are huge benefits in fish oil.

Anyone know or heard of using this?

It works but the stuff I tried eventually dried and left a residue that was very difficult to remove. I certainly would not use it on any ways or other sliding surfaces

Crunchie
10th February 2012, 11:11 AM
Whats a can of lanolin cost. Probably much less than squeezing the oil out fish!

OK. So now who's got a mental image of a New Zealander squeezing a sheep?

seafurymike
10th February 2012, 11:27 AM
The Q also needs to be asked of Lanolin and whether it leaves residue.

Not me. Awww now I cant get it out of my head!!:~

eskimo
10th February 2012, 11:32 AM
yep...
CRC Long Life or Lanotec...good stuff

Dave J
10th February 2012, 12:05 PM
You can get deodorized fish oil in cans that doesn't smell so bad, but I always that it was meant to dry out after a while.

The only thing I would do with it is to use it in car doors etc.

Dave

BRADFORD
10th February 2012, 01:26 PM

:roflmao:

John Hill
10th February 2012, 04:34 PM

Ha ha, I should tell you about the time we were shearing in Western Q'land, but then maybe not!:U

Yea, lanolin products are great, we had galvanised bottle screws on a boat I used to crew and those screws were like new whenever we took the wrappers off.

Although slippery tools are maybe not what we would want I am sure it would be well worth while to have a couple of lanoline soaked rags (old shearer's*** trousers!:D) to wipe tools and machines 'clean' with.

***Hey, I resemble that remark!:U

calala
10th February 2012, 05:06 PM
I'm in a local blacksmith club & use a 50/50 mix of lanolin / turps on all metal jobs as well as my tools including my shaper, bench drill, jigs, etc.
However it is an ongoing maintenance job I do every six months, for best results it is applied with the metal hot to open the pores a bit if you can & left to cool. They don't need too much heat I use the sun on a hot day on potable stuff and a radiator on the rest. Does a brilliant job. From memory a litre of lanolin from Bunnings cost me approx $19.00 about 3 years ago. :U