PDA

View Full Version : Combination machines

David Fowler
30th November 1999, 08:15 AM
I am setting up a new workshop for my hobby - designing and making furniture.I am seriously considering a combo. machine. Mainly to save space (workshop is 7m x 4.8m) and also to save dollars. I make observations on the following; Robland, $12,600 (strong but unrefined). Technica C310, $10,012 (lighter, better finish, saw stroke only 900mm). Sicar Furore 300 $7,920 (strong, refined, sliding table alonside saw blade, stroke 850mm). Mini Max Lab 300N, $10,800 ( strong, well finished, max saw blade=250mm, ex. sliding table alonside blade & 1320mm stroke).
All above prices are in N.Z. dollars. Has anyone used or seen in use any of these machines? They all include a spindle molder, mortiser, 300mm planer/thicknesser. To purchase separate saw + planer + thicknesser would cost $8,000+. Australian Wood review, issue 18 covered some of these including the Felder (much to expensive) but did not really test or compare.

Shane Watson
30th November 1999, 06:08 PM
David,
I have the Mini max machine. I can't remember the exact model though. I could go look, but thats to much effort http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif Actually I think it is the Lab30. Its about three year old now. I can't really fault it. I am in a small business situation and do regular work with this machine. If I had my time again, and had the money to spend, I would opt for dedicated machines. It saves huge amounts of space. At the time the mini max was the best for the money. Since then there have been a few new comers to the market, so look around and see whats on offer. You'll soon know which one is best for your needs

HTH

Cheers
Shane...

Len Rose
30th November 1999, 08:51 PM
David,
You have not indicated whether or not you intend using sheet materials or solid timber.
I have a Mini Max Lab300 which is a great machine, but found it a bit lacking when cutting sheet materials.
I have also bought a large table machine which is dedicated to sheet goods and accurate cuts, but it takes up a whack of space.
If you want to save space and a combo machine is your choice, you will find the MiniMax as good for the bucks as you can get, certainly (IMHO) better than most of the other gear around.
By the way, my son works for a machinery dealership and they are occasionally available 2nd hand at a substantially discounted price.
I'd be happy to discuss this further if you want to.
Regards Len Rose

Borisballbag
16th April 2008, 11:05 PM
David,
I own a Technica C310E that has a 1200 Carriage on it and up to now have not been able to fault it, I use it in my business and it performs remarkably well in all aspects compared to some stand alone machines that I have in the shop.

Burnsy
16th April 2008, 11:16 PM
Welcome to the forum Boris, great to see new person coming on and offering advice straight up don't see it often:2tsup:

Each post has a date on it in the top left corner check these as you are replying to a post that is 9 years old.