PDA

View Full Version : Mud, Beets and Diesel

Anorak Bob
11th February 2012, 12:52 AM
A sampling of the Czech National Agricultural Museum's collection of tractors on display in Prague. First off is Henry's Fordson.

Anorak Bob
11th February 2012, 10:20 AM
Can someone do me a favour and let me know if there is any interest in this stuff?

I have photographed a number of tractors at the museum and was happy enough to post more photos but if I'm the only one who finds these machines appealing then I won't bother.

BT

franco
11th February 2012, 11:10 AM
Can someone do me a favour and let me know if there is any interest in this stuff?
BT

Yes, very much so! Thanks for going to the trouble of posting these photos, and the steam ones.

Frank.

Anorak Bob
11th February 2012, 11:19 AM
Well I'll post more Frank.

kwijibo99
11th February 2012, 11:44 AM
Keep on posting them Bob,
I love old machinery of any sort and have been watching your steam postings avidly.
As long as you don't spend so much time posting them that it keeps you out of the shed so much that you can't post stuff on your other projects of course.
Mate, I'll be front and center watching the display.
Keep up the excellent work. :2tsup:
Cheers,
Greg.

Dan
11th February 2012, 11:46 AM
:2tsup:

Anorak Bob
11th February 2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks Lads.

Here we have a Czech Wikov 25.

Acco
11th February 2012, 11:58 AM
:2tsup:

Anorak Bob
11th February 2012, 12:29 PM
When I went to the museum back in October there was an old Czech couple caretaking the display. The old bloke seemed thrilled that I was so enthralled by the tractors. I think we were trying to outdo each other with the biggest grin. I loved it.

Whilst the display in the Agricultural museum is dwarfed by the neighbouring Technical museum, the same level of pride and care are evident. If anyone intends visiting Prague, these two haunts must be included in your itinerary. There is a wonderful pub directly behind the Technical Museum for when your eyes need a rest.

Back to it.

A McCormack - Deering 10/20 and a Hanomag 28/32

Anorak Bob
11th February 2012, 12:45 PM
A Praga AT and a Skoda HT-18.

steran50
11th February 2012, 01:28 PM
HI:),
:2tsup: Thanks for Posting Bob. I especially like the Czech Wikov 25 Tractor.

nadroj
11th February 2012, 02:40 PM
I like old tractors.
I visited a truck and tractor museum in California in 2004, and came away thinking that every possible mechanical configuration has already been tried. There were 4WD tractors well before WW2 for example. An example of the amazing screw drive snow tractor was there, ex US Mail. On YouTube, look up "Fordson Snow Machine".
They had nice trucks too.

Jordan

RayG
11th February 2012, 02:53 PM
Hi BT,

Great stuff, thanks for the pictures. I know a guy who collects Fordson Tractors, and, from memory there is a Fordson tractor club... next time I see him I'll show him a few of your pictures. :2tsup:

The humble tractor, is one of those inventions that goes largely un-noticed, but revolutionized food production, without tractors, we would all probably be starving.. :)

Regards
Ray

Bryan
11th February 2012, 04:10 PM
Bob, I was saving my applause for the end. As a lad I used to freeze my bits off on a little Fordson tractor... or was that the David Brown? Anyway, at least it had a little padding on the seat and rubber tyres. Luxury! Nice to see the old ones though, and what a contrast to the steam stuff. Wonder if those bright colours were original?

Dave J
11th February 2012, 04:16 PM
Nice,
I used to own an early Fordson tractor, but not that early,LOL
Mine was an old dual fuel 3 cylinder model.

Dave

morrisman
11th February 2012, 05:26 PM
Bob

Tatra were making a little 4X4 field car in the 1930's, well before the ubiquitous WW2 Jeep was around . The car was trialled by the British army .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatra_(company)

Tatra was known for its highly innovative designs :2tsup:.

Mike

robbo37
11th February 2012, 05:27 PM

I have photographed a number of tractors at the museum and was happy enough to post more photos but if I'm the only one who finds these machines appealing then I won't bother.

BT

I say keep 'em coming Bob.:2tsup:

Anorak Bob
11th February 2012, 06:49 PM
You want more, then there's more.

Like Bryan, I wonder about some of the colour schemes. The pictures I have seen of the old Fordson, all show a grey tractor with red wheels, some of the other tractors look suitably drab and worklike but the puce Mc Cormick -Deering? Here's a clip of a '29 Mc D. I was waiting for young Clem to ease it through his Dad's barn wall right at the end.

1929 McCormick-Deering 22-36 Start and Run - YouTube

Below is an Excelsior P5 Motorised Plough. The driver's sidecar looks interesting!

Greg Q
11th February 2012, 06:56 PM
Bob, count me in as a permanent fan of your photographic skill and your choice in subject matter. As kids my brother and I used to help out on the farm where my Dad was born. They had a steam trencher with what must have been a 20' diameter wheel festooned with scoops. This was for digging the (two foot deep or so) irrigation trenches into which clay tiles were laid. The frost damage meant annual repair work. Their neighbour had a steam shovel too, which was a soot and grease wonderland.

I recall the barn being full of the spectrum of worn-out 20th century mechanisation: Model T, Model A, tractors, horse harnesses, water pumps.

Please keep up the flow of eye candy. We steam punks appreciate it.

Anorak Bob
11th February 2012, 07:07 PM
A Normag NG - 25 in Wehrmacht Grey with non regulation rims and a Farmall H. That does it boys. Anyone interested in planes?:D

BobL
11th February 2012, 07:09 PM
bob, count me in as a permanent fan of your photographic skill and your choice in subject matter. . .

+1

Anorak Bob
11th February 2012, 07:14 PM
Bob, count me in as a permanent fan of your photographic skill and your choice in subject matter. As kids my brother and I used to help out on the farm where my Dad was born. They had a steam trencher with what must have been a 20' diameter wheel festooned with scoops. This was for digging the (two foot deep or so) irrigation trenches into which clay tiles were laid. The frost damage meant annual repair work. Their neighbour had a steam shovel too, which was a soot and grease wonderland.

I recall the barn being full of the spectrum of worn-out 20th century mechanisation: Model T, Model A, tractors, horse harnesses, water pumps.

Please keep up the flow of eye candy. We steam punks appreciate it.

Hi GQ,

You didn't get around to explaining the need (:U) for the acquisition of that cultivator thingo that you have.

BT

Greg Q
11th February 2012, 07:17 PM
. Anyone interested in planes?:D

Nope.:wink:

Oh wait! Maybe a Junkers 52? How about a Fieseler Fi 156 Storch? (I am thinking of making a modern version when we move to Tassie...cheaper than a helicopter)

GQ

Greg Q
11th February 2012, 07:31 PM
Hi GQ,

You didn't get around to explaining the need (:U) for the acquisition of that cultivator thingo that you have.

BT

Needs Schmeeds:D

I had grand visions of cultivating the crap out of our rented block in a revisitation of that whole 60's back-to-the-land movement. I have a pair of denim overalls and line on a VW microbus with flower decals.

Alas, my dream of growing organic durian fruit here in frosty Victoria is at least a decade ahead of the global warming thing. So, my co-conspirator is going to collect it so that he will have a lifetime of spares. (We bought both on a collective ebay deal and shared a ute drive to Geelong to collect them)

It is a Howard Junior...a heavy brute of a thing, complete with cast iron wheels and hand crank starter. My sense of humour with old, British inspired "engineering" has waned all the way to zero, I'm afraid. Magnetos and 1930's carburettors are a bridge too far. I'd really like to have a Howard Bantam like Dad had, but the Junior is just way too big for my (theoretical) needs.

Greg

Anorak Bob
11th February 2012, 07:34 PM
Blokes around my age will remember the Jawa 2 strokes coughing and spluttering in a cloud of smoke and the dominance of the same marque's DT500 in speedway but how's this -

BT

ps. Mike, that's the tail end of a silver Tatra behind the little Jawa.

Greg Q
11th February 2012, 07:37 PM
That's a scaled down Bugatti Atlantic! I like it. It needs to be more phallic though.

Greg

on edit...changed Bugatti Royalle to Bugatti Atlantic, which is the correct car. The Royalle was more...regal

Greg Q
11th February 2012, 07:41 PM
This thing:

nadroj
11th February 2012, 07:51 PM
ps. Mike, that's the tail end of a silver Tatra behind the little Jawa.

That's the rear engined, aircooled V8 - a favorite of German officers after they helped themselves to Cz just before WW2. It had swing axles too - talk about unsafe at any speed!

Jordan

Anorak Bob
11th February 2012, 07:54 PM
Talking of Bugattis, naturally the Czechs had one and what a one! A '31 51.

Greg Q
11th February 2012, 08:00 PM
Swing axles! How I miss the unpredictable jacking effect of hard cornering under power in those 356s that I have had the pleasure and occasional misfortune to own from time to time up until 1992. Give me a wheelbarrow any day.

GQ

Anorak Bob
11th February 2012, 08:01 PM
That's the rear engined, aircooled V8 - a favorite of German officers after they helped themselves to Cz just before WW2. It had swing axles too - talk about unsafe at any speed!

Jordan

Hello Jordan,

When I was searching for a bit more info on the Museum's locomotives last night I found a brief mention of a recreation of the railway workshop that incorporated a number of machine tools. I imagine they change some of the exhibits, maybe the Atlas lathe you mentioned when I was over there was part of that exhibit. I had gone to the Technical Museum under the impression they had a comprehensive machine tool collection on display. They didn't but I wasn't disappointed.

BT

Greg Q
11th February 2012, 08:04 PM
Oooh! A tipo 51! Now I can go to bed happy, and dream of heroics at the end of the Mulsanne straight.

Anorak Bob
11th February 2012, 09:06 PM
Nope.:wink:

Oh wait! Maybe a Junkers 52? How about a Fieseler Fi 156 Storch? (I am thinking of making a modern version when we move to Tassie...cheaper than a helicopter)

GQ

Gregor.

The best I can do is a comprehensive selection of photos of a Junker A - 50ci Junior from 1931 and a 1962 Dornier Do32. There was a JU-52 and a Stork, both awkward to get successful photos of.

The Dornier would lend itself to being a handyman's back shed project. A bloke with your procurement skills wouldn't find sourcing a BMW 6012 gas turbine a problem. Just about hand luggage size.

And think of all the rivets in a Junker look a like.:no:

BT

RayG
11th February 2012, 10:25 PM
Talking of Bugattis, naturally the Czechs had one and what a one! A '31 51.

Wow.. the Veyron of the 1930's..... all horsepower and zero safety...

Ahh... a time when men were men, and small brown furry creatures from alpha centauri were...... well you know the rest... (with apologies to Douglas Adamski)

Fiesler Storch, Erwin Rommels favourite substitute for spy satellites.. a true classic,

I'm getting increasingly despondent BT, ... when I was in Prague 2 years ago I missed all of this, too much beer at tourist prices in Wenceslas Square I suspect..

Now I have to go back!...

Regards
Ray

nadroj
11th February 2012, 11:06 PM
When I was searching for a bit more info on the Museum's locomotives last night I found a brief mention of a recreation of the railway workshop that incorporated a number of machine tools.
BT

I don't remember seeing that, or any "modern" machine tools, apart from the Atlas lathe. The basement area had some very old iron working machinery, like large timber framed forging hammers. All black and looking very old and sinister. Alas, I had a crappy camera and didn't get any good shots.

Jordan

Anorak Bob
11th February 2012, 11:11 PM
Now I find out there was a basement! :doh: The photo that accompanied the comment showed an old line pulley lathe sitting outside in a yard. Nothing new.

BT

Swarfmaker1
13th February 2012, 03:39 PM
Needs Schmeeds:D

I had grand visions of cultivating the crap out of our rented block in a revisitation of that whole 60's back-to-the-land movement. I have a pair of denim overalls and line on a VW microbus with flower decals.

Alas, my dream of growing organic durian fruit here in frosty Victoria is at least a decade ahead of the global warming thing. So, my co-conspirator is going to collect it so that he will have a lifetime of spares. (We bought both on a collective ebay deal and shared a ute drive to Geelong to collect them)

It is a Howard Junior...a heavy brute of a thing, complete with cast iron wheels and hand crank starter. My sense of humour with old, British inspired "engineering" has waned all the way to zero, I'm afraid. Magnetos and 1930's carburettors are a bridge too far. I'd really like to have a Howard Bantam like Dad had, but the Junior is just way too big for my (theoretical) needs.

Greg

Greg,I'd take the Howard junior off hour hands in a flash. They make a marvellous noise. I have a bullfinch with non original motor.

Greg Q
13th February 2012, 03:48 PM
If you're serious let me know...it's been sitting here for three months waiting for my friend. I'm sure he'd let it go if you were really keen for a restoration project.

Greg

Swarfmaker1
13th February 2012, 07:15 PM
I'd come an get it if you were closer unless there's an easy transport option.

If you're serious let me know...it's been sitting here for three months waiting for my friend. I'm sure he'd let it go if you were really keen for a restoration project.

Greg

Swarfmaker1
13th February 2012, 09:44 PM
I'd come an get it if you were closer unless there's an easy transport option.

Greg

Greg Q
13th February 2012, 10:31 PM
I am unaware of any transport that would be cheap enough to make it worthwhile. It is a rust bucket machine needing much repair, paint, etc. That's the major reason it sits under the tarp: I haven't the time right now to to a complete resto, and I don't know how to go halfway.

Greg

Anorak Bob
13th February 2012, 10:35 PM
I am unaware of any transport that would be cheap enough to make it worthwhile. It is a rust bucket machine needing much repair, paint, etc. That's the major reason it sits under the tarp: I haven't the time right now to to a complete resto, and I don't know how to go halfway.

Greg

Just a can of wash and wear Dulux and a brush, GQ. The halfway mark is easily attained.

Greg Q
13th February 2012, 10:45 PM
OK sounds good. One question though: Does the Dulux go in the gearbox or the engine sump? I've never been clear on that.

I am having a hard enough time making progress on the projects that are actually officially underway. I think I just spent three hours making a switch plate for the Deckel to replace the piece of colour-bond bashed flat that the previous craftsman fashioned for the switch.

Tomorrow is a chore day that will get eaten up by a simple thing like buying steel for my surface plate stand and trying to find my stick welder in my kid's room where she was fabricating centrifuges for a client somewhere. :?

Dave J
13th February 2012, 10:55 PM
Just a can of wash and wear Dulux and a brush, GQ. The halfway mark is easily attained.

Something just like this beautiful restoration,:rolleyes: I think the lathe is now feeling blue.
I like the attention to detail of the cross slide ways being painted.:doh:

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/top720/Blue2Medium.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/top720/BlueMedium.jpg

Dave

Greg Q
13th February 2012, 11:12 PM
Thanks dave, you've rendered me speechless. I guess that's what happens when you get too close to that open can of Imron for too long. I'd like to see that ebay seller (has to be, right? "ebay blue" paint and all?) do up a car. I bet that blue paint preserves the tires and chrome very well. The interior too can be freshened up the same way.

Getting back to the Howard...there are places online that sell the original decal set. Which only propels certain people even farther down the concours path. (Me I mean)

GQ

RayG
13th February 2012, 11:37 PM
Hi Dave,

Even the smurfs are recoiling in horror... I wonder if he could sand blast the ways while he's on a roll....

Regards
Ray

Anorak Bob
13th February 2012, 11:41 PM
The gentle contrast of the faceplate wins me over. A sensitive restraint.

Greg Q
13th February 2012, 11:46 PM
I am unclear on the faceplate: Is that a subtle contrast hue, or raw sandblasting. Either way, as Bob says, a deft touch. Kind of a Civil war theme for that LeBlond...the blue and the grey.

Michael G
14th February 2012, 06:44 AM
Personally, I don't think it's a very good paint job at all. You don't have to look hard to see that there's places they have missed - bare metal all over the machine.

Michael

eskimo
14th February 2012, 07:29 AM
yeah ...we had a fordson dual fuel job that we used to launch the boat

we had rubber on ours......:p

Abratool
14th February 2012, 09:51 AM
A piece of history destroyed.
They missed painting the leather drive belt.:doh:
Its difficult to understand how someone out there has done this. :oo:

Bruce

Bryan
14th February 2012, 10:03 AM
What I want to know is, was anyone crazy enough to buy it?

Anorak Bob
14th February 2012, 11:15 AM
A piece of history destroyed.
They missed painting the leather drive belt.:doh:
Its difficult to understand how someone out there has done this. :oo:

Bruce

Realistically, we are a just a small group of enthusiasts who happen to be passionate about this stuff. We belong to these forums because of a common interest and even amongst us there are those for whom machines are simply a means to an end.

I can squander hours marvelling over the thought that has gone into the design of some of my gear and then I can view my 300 dollar bandsaw without passion, possessing it simply because of the job it can do.

Most people simply don't care.

BT

Abratool
14th February 2012, 11:38 AM
Bob
I agree, however I even stare at my H & F Bandsaw :rolleyes:
Bruce

BobL
14th February 2012, 12:32 PM

Most people simply don't care.

BT

When I was having a new concrete floor laid in my old workshop Ivan the concretor asked me what the shed was for so I showed him some of the woodworking tools I had made. He looked at them and then at me with a bewildered look on his face and then asked me if I had ever heard of Bunnings.

Dave J
14th February 2012, 01:31 PM
When I was having a new concrete floor laid in my old workshop Ivan the concretor asked me what the shed was for so I showed him some of the woodworking tools I had made. He looked at them and then at me with a bewildered look on his face and then asked me if I had ever heard of Bunnings.

LOL,
Some people don't understand we buy tools to make tools.

Dave

Dave J
14th February 2012, 01:38 PM
That lathe was on ebay last year and was posted on HSM (I think)
I copied and posted it so it was not lost after the listing finish. When I saw Greg's post about brush paint it reminded me of that lathe. I never followed it so don't know if it ever sold, but unlikely in that state.

Dave

Robson Valley
16th February 2012, 02:38 PM
Thank you all for all the wonderful pictures which illustrate the evolving images of agricultural machinery.

Just for a snap, come and stay with me. You can watch 400Hp nitrous-boost, hill-climbing snowmobiles in action. Mostly 1st Place in any North American competitions. There are 2 of them, cards off the dyno, no less. 350Hp are a dime-a-dozen but $14k to ride!

You're quite safe. Most avalanche deaths are 20 - 40 yrs old male, and from Alberta.
Bring your Peeps and your Avalung, you're good to go.

Ueee
28th February 2012, 11:57 AM
I have had the same comments about buying things from apprentices. The first chisel i made was a pattern welded butt chisel with an O-1 forge welded edge. When i took it to work one of the younger guys said to me "you spent 10 hours just forging that, it only took me 10 minuets to buy a whole set" It took much restraint for me not to demonstrate how sharp the chisel was on his face.....

As for the LeSmurf, I wonder what happened to it, it could be good for parts still.

Ewan