PDA

View Full Version : Mackintosh Ladder Back Chair

MikeH
4th February 2005, 05:23 AM
Hello

I've been searching for plans for a Mackintosh Hill House Ladder Back Chair. Unfortunately, with no success. Consequently, I would be very gratefull if someone could point me to a plan for the above chair.

Thanks in Advance
MikeH

bitingmidge
4th February 2005, 09:08 AM
Have you tried the Mackintosh Society in Edinburgh??

P

MikeH
4th February 2005, 07:51 PM
Hello

No, I haven't, but I will now.

Many Thanks
Mike

ozwinner
4th February 2005, 07:56 PM
Or try here. (http://www.google.com.au/custom?q=Mackintosh+Hill+House+Ladder+Back+Chair&sa=Search&client=pub-9333841639456719&forid=1&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&cof=GALT%3A%23BB0000%3BGL%3A1%3BDIV%3A%23B8B8E6%3BVLC%3A663399%3BAH%3Acenter%3BBGC%3AFFFFFF%3BLBGC%3A9A9ABE%3BALC%3A000000%3BLC%3A000000%3BT%3A0000AA%3BGFNT%3A0000FF%3BGIMP%3A0000FF%3BLH%3A50%3BLW%3A488%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.ubeaut.biz%2Fubeautadd.jpg%3BS%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.ubeaut.com.au%3BFORID%3A1%3B&hl=en)

Al :)

MikeH
7th February 2005, 09:04 PM
Hello

Thanks to bitingmidge and ozwinner.

The Mackintosh Society have recomended a couple of books.
(1) The Complete Furniture, Furniture Drawings & Interior Designs by Roger
Billcliffe.
(2) Charles Rennie Mackintosh as a Designer of Chairs by Filippo Alison
I've ordered them from my library. (I'm not buying them untill I know they are what I want)

I've tried the links ozwinner suggested. There's lots of info on the many links he gave me, but unfortunatley I've not been able to find any plans for the ladder back chair. So, until I get the books from the library I'm still looking. Therefore, I would appreciate further suggestions.

By the way, whilst free plans would be good, I'm not that bothered about paying for the plans.

Cheers
Mike

bitingmidge
7th February 2005, 09:34 PM
Mike,

Thanks, it's nice to get some feedback... I often read a thread and wonder whatever happened to....? Hope you'll keep us abreast of what you find and keep posting as you build as well!

One of the great, fantastic, wonderful things about living where you live (and there aren't many of them ;) ) is that you can only ever be a few hours from the City!!

So one cold wet weekend (anytime soon :D :D :D ) take a trip to the Vic and Albert Museum. They have a great furniture resource as well, I was going to suggest they might even let you do a measured drawing if you ask nicely!

Or I suppose you could buy one from IKEA and pull it apart! :D :D :D

P (Mate of Mackintosh)

ozwinner
8th February 2005, 05:47 PM
P (Mate of Mackintosh)
Only for the flashin bit though.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Al :p

bitingmidge
8th February 2005, 06:42 PM
Only for the flashin bit though.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Al :p

Do you want a loan of my trouser legs??? Both with nearly new shoelaces to keep them up??

P
:cool: :cool: :cool:

MikeH
8th February 2005, 07:19 PM
Whats with the ...flashin bit and ...loan of my trouser legs?

The vic and albert are already on our calander as well as Hill House and other Mackintosh buildings etc. I have to say I'm not a great Mackintosh fan. However, he's growing on me, especially his chairs. I wanted to make the ladder back chair, but now I've seen his others, so far I've picked 4 or 5 that I intend making. The more I research his stuff the better it looks. And thats the point. His stuff was meant as art more than well built functional chairs. As far as I can make out is chairs are easy to break. It still hasn't put me off making the chairs, eventhough I haven't a house that will do justise to displaying his chairs. I think they look great!

bsrlee
8th February 2005, 08:13 PM
He must have known something, or at least the workshop foreman did. There was a fair bit of Mackintosh furniture in 'Dining Rooms' and 'Tea Rooms' around the UK, so it almost certainly wasn't as fragile as it looks - I get the feel it was a bit like some of F.L. Wright's work - actually quite robust but very tall and slender looking when photographed. You are luckily a lot more likely to get up 'close & personal' with some existing pieces that us here in the 'Colonies' :cool:

MikeH
8th February 2005, 08:54 PM
I think you make a good point. There are many companies offering reproductions and a lot of his chairs are still around. However, some books do state how fragile they are (the ladder back chair in particular) and the books do state how some owners have strengthend the chairs (...without telling Mackintosh) shock, horror. Perhaps certain chairs used in tea rooms etc. get 'abused' more than they would in domestic use. I'll find out when I make and use them. I'll also make a point of asking about the fragility when I visit Glasgow later this year. I've obviously heard of FL Wright, but I don't know that much, so do be gentle with me.

ribot
9th February 2005, 10:17 PM
I like his designs very much however I was led to believe that C R M didn't concern himself with sturdy construction. He was primarily interested in the design / appearance value. He wasn't into fine joinery to last an age etc.