PDA

View Full Version : Items for Sale

Scott
12th February 2012, 08:51 PM
I'd like to preface this thread with a plea to keep this nice as I'm only trying to seek an explanation rather than provoke an argument. I'd also like to state that I do appreciate the unpaid work the moderators do on this forum.

So here it goes.

When a thread is added by a user, is the post vetted before being allowed to go through? The reason I ask is that when an item(s) is posted in the marketplace, a mod seems to get first dibs on the item(s). Without giving any examples (because I don't want to name), I've missed out on a number of items to moderators.

I've been VERY loath to post this however just wanted to put it out there for discussion. If one of the perks of being a mod is to get in first, then that's a good thing (yes, I'm contradicting myself here) as there needs to be some sort of reward for the mods.

Over to you...

nosnow
12th February 2012, 09:04 PM
Hi Scott
I sit here watching the telly repairing computers & with Ispy open most days& half the nights I have picked up some great items from the market
I dont believe the integrity of the Mods should be questioned
i believe they have the same chance as all of us
Cheers Rod

Scott
12th February 2012, 09:18 PM
I dont believe the integrity of the Mods should be questioned

Thanks Rod, it was never my intention to question the integrity of the Mods.

Acco
12th February 2012, 09:56 PM
I was an Admin known as DJ's Timber and I can very confidently tell you that no they weren't vetted, but in saying that, if the user had just signed up and had less than 5 posts with outside links to the web then yes the thread/post went straight into moderation and had to be vetted as you put it.

Sturdee
12th February 2012, 10:11 PM
I was an Admin known as DJ's Timber and I can very confidently tell you that no they weren't vetted, but in saying that, if the user had just signed up and had less than 5 posts with outside links to the web then yes the thread/post went straight into moderation and had to be vetted as you put it.

DJ is right, when I start a new thread it's instantly available, and sometimes a reply is posted before I can post the next in a series, but when my daughter first joined she was moderated for a while.

Lots of new members join in order to sell something so Mods see it first.

Peter.

andrewr79
12th February 2012, 10:28 PM
The other thing to remember is that being mods, they spend a lot of time on the forums looking after them so it's quite natural that they see the posts first a lot of the time. My dad has a saying he's fond of quoting, especially after he's just sneakily taken the last of the tasty leftovers out of the fridge - "it's the quick and the dead around here!" :D

Cliff Rogers
12th February 2012, 10:47 PM
... "it's the quick and the dead around here!" :D
Yup, that & the luck of the draw, I have been on line just as something I have wanted has come up at a good price & I have grabbed it & then other times I haven't seen something I've wanted until it was too late.

I've also posted stuff for sale & had 3 PMs turn up within minutes & it has always gone to the first person in.

Woodwould
12th February 2012, 11:09 PM
Hello DJ, when and why did you cease to be an admin and why did you change your name to Acco? :o

HazzaB
13th February 2012, 01:42 AM
Hey Scott,

I have picked up some Rippa Deals, sometimes minutes after they are posted, one of the limited benefits of living in the W A (Wait Awhile) some people post over there at 9.00 or 10.00 at night or later, and we are just finishing Dinner and have a quick look at the forums and Wooo Hooo theres a Bargin, don't knock the Mods, they don't get paid, they would also have a life other than the forum, so I reckon that if they get a bargin now and again good on 'em,

As Andrew said, 'The quick and the dead'

HazzaB

Scott
13th February 2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks all, makes sense. As I stated earlier, I didn't want this to be an issue, more knowledge on the process and being sensitive to the issue.

Glen
16th February 2012, 09:06 PM
My dad has a saying he's fond of quoting, especially after he's just sneakily taken the last of the tasty leftovers out of the fridge - "it's the quick and the dead around here!" :D

Made that comment at a funeral once, opps:B

doug3030
17th February 2012, 09:11 AM
I too, have noticed that one or two moderators seem to be pretty prominent when it comes to getting in quick, but I have not noticed any "lag" in any posts I have made or threads I have started in he marketplace. I have put it down to these guys being very attentive to the forum as their duties require.

They may have some sort of alert that pops up advising them of a new thread, as an aid to their moderation duties, I don't know, maybe one of the mods can answer that. If so, no matter where they are browsing on the forum they would be first to know about a new thread in the marketplace. But I doubt that this slight advantage would be worth all the time, effort and grief associated with the job.

On the other side of the coin, some regular, non-moderator, members are pretty quick on the trigger finger too. They obviously don't have jobs and unless their computer is on a shelf in the shed I bet they don't get much woodworking done either. To make it fair for members with jobs maybe they should hold all new threads in marketplace until 8:00pm and release them all at once. (That is not a serious suggestion BTW)

All things considered I think it works very well the way it is.

Doug

A Duke
17th February 2012, 09:23 AM
Like any (non team) sport there can only be one winner.
:-)

rustynail
17th February 2012, 12:31 PM
Would best offer in a given time frame help?

petersemple
17th February 2012, 12:40 PM
I once saw a site on the internet somewhere where there was a bidding system that allowed for "best offer in a given time frame" selling. I guess people could use that site if they knew where it was and wanted that style of sale.

Groggy
17th February 2012, 01:41 PM
Arnold Palmer once was offended by a reporter who said he had a lucky round. His response was "yes, it seems the more I practice the luckier I get!".

Whether you are a mod or normal member, the longer you spend online the more likely you are to be 'first' in on a sale. There is no hidden window other than the modded posts already mentioned. If I were to want one of those items it would be approved first, then actioned in the same way as any other member. I can assure you that if a mod or admin were abusing their role in that way there would be a real barney about it between the admins and mods.

A fair question to ask, I'm sure others have wondered too.

doug3030
17th February 2012, 09:46 PM
Arnold Palmer once was offended by a reporter who said he had a lucky round. His response was "yes, it seems the more I practice the luckier I get!".

yep, Arnold Palmer and a host of other golfers, including myself when I could still play golf before my back injury, have repeated it but it was first uttered by Gary Player.

doug3030
17th February 2012, 09:57 PM
Would best offer in a given time frame help?

well it would not be in keeping with the current rules which require an asking price to be posted. I think but I am not sure that this is a legal requirement regarding auctions etc, happy for a moderator to correct me or elaborate if necessary

Doug

ubeaut
18th February 2012, 07:05 AM
Auctions are not allowed on these forums. If you want an auction go to eBay or one of the other similar sites. We even incorporated a site in the market place to help with this FOR SALE on eBay and external sites (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f253/)

The mods and admin do not have any advantage over the members other than seeing the moderated posts of new members before approving them and once approved it's a free for all with anyone fast enough to get in having the advantage.

If you want to get in first use iSpy and you will see the posts as they are put on (in real time) or subscribe to the forum of our choice and get an email whenever any new thread or post is put in there.

To subscribe - Open a forum eg:WOODWORK - Tools & Machinery MARKET . click on Forum Tools (r/h side of the forums top Navigation Bar) and in the drop down click on.Subscribe to This Forum.

As has been said before it is a case of the "Quick and the dead" and if you are not here at the time a post is made or are unaware of a post it is no one's fault but your own.

The fact that the mods give so much of their free time to the forum does give them aslight advantage, in that they are often here at the time a new thread is posted or alerted to the post by email or iSpy. However any ordinary member can get exactly the same alerts as described above but the fact of the matter is.... If you're not here at the time you may miss out.

I can assure you that mods and admins are not here to take advantage of anyone or anything. They are here to keep the forums safe for the members and the general public and if, because of their continued vigilance, they happen to pick up the odd tool etc. good for them.... It just means that vigilance pays off.

I can also assure you all that any mod or admin who deliberately set out to take advantage of their position would be severely reprimanded or would not be a moderator.

Cheers - Neil :U

Panda
22nd February 2012, 09:22 PM
I have been and are a member of a few various forums and I have to say I have never seen a delicate subject been discussed with such diplomacy and maturity.
A pleasure to be a member.:2tsup:
Cheers
Peter