PDA

View Full Version : Turners wanted

Simomatra
13th February 2012, 03:21 PM
We have a donation of 200 kits from the Boronia Branch of the Vietnam Vetrans in Victoria.

We need people tp put up ther hands to turn these kits into finished pens.

Please put your name down in this thread if you are willing to turn.

I also have blanks available if anyone wants them please also ask in this thread

We need the pens to be returned to me bu the last week in March so they can get to the troops for Anzac Day.

Many thanks to the Boronia Branch of the Vietnam Vetrans for the generous donation:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: and many thanks for Amos for doing the organising

bench1holio
13th February 2012, 04:58 PM
sam, i think the last week in march might just be a little bit early for my recovery :no:,

but i can probably kick in a bunch of blanks if you need them.

Sawdust Maker
13th February 2012, 05:45 PM
ok - 20 if only ten put their hands up

I'd better start drilling

Oh - I'm ok for wood

seriola
13th February 2012, 06:28 PM
I won't commit for more than I'm sure to get done so put me down for 15. If I get the time I will add a few more from my stash. If you are struggling for numbers in a couple of weeks I will see if I can commit to another batch. cheers Des

seriola
13th February 2012, 06:29 PM
am ok for blanks

floody_85
13th February 2012, 06:43 PM
I could manage 5 if ur looking for numbers. I'd need blanks too though as I only have average looking blanks left. I need to stock up

Paulphot
13th February 2012, 11:46 PM
Put me down for 20, I have enough blanks.

Simomatra
14th February 2012, 08:50 AM
Many thanks to all that have responded so far if you can PM me your address details then we will get this rolling.

Amos advised me last hight that he and Graham had 100 finished pen in the post to me at the moment so we are going to have a good rollup for Anzac Day.

Please we need more turners to asist with the sponsorship from the Boronia Branch of the Vietnam Vetrans

Simomatra
14th February 2012, 11:22 AM
sam, i think the last week in march might just be a little bit early for my recovery :no:,

but i can probably kick in a bunch of blanks if you need them.

Thanks Ben,

Just get yourself better mate we will save you up for Christmas ones.

I hope you are starting to get better I know what the pain is like no amount of pain killers seemed to help and I got used to sleeping in a reclining chair.

cookie48
14th February 2012, 08:29 PM
Sam.
Got legs back and 50 blanks drilled. Will do some for you if you like.
Cookie

gidgee 1
15th February 2012, 06:33 AM
Hi Sam
Put me down for some (up to 50).
I'm right for blanks.
cheers
gidgee 1

Simomatra
15th February 2012, 10:31 AM
Many thanks Cookie and Matthew will get them away to you as soon as I can. :):) Glad your back on deck Cookie.

A quick tally we have 55 kits left to get turners for.:D:D

Floody 85 yours are in the mail this morning.

Many thanks to Amos and Graham 100 beautiful pens :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:arrived this morning will get some pictires up later today.

Keep them coming ladies and gents lets show them we care. :2tsup::2tsup:

Gloriac
15th February 2012, 08:01 PM
If you are still looking for some pens to be turned, I would like try for 10 but I have to say I am a beginner if that is ok.
Gloria

Avery
15th February 2012, 08:14 PM
Very happy to help out with 10, maybe 15.

I have plenty of blanks

PenTurner
15th February 2012, 08:39 PM
Gloriac, of course it is ok, it is the heart and soul that goes into making these pens that counts, same as for pen swaps-it is the attitude and willingness and desire to make someone else happy that really counts. Amos:):2tsup:

Gloriac
15th February 2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks for that Amos - your pens are beautiful! I have a long way to go but I keep trying :D

I have pm'd Simonata my address and I have blanks to turn.

Gloria

Simomatra
16th February 2012, 08:36 AM
Very happy to help out with 10, maybe 15.

I have plenty of blanks

Cheers Avery PM me your address

Many thanks and welcome aboard

Simomatra
16th February 2012, 08:37 AM
Thanks for that Amos - your pens are beautiful! I have a long way to go but I keep trying :D

I have pm'd Simonata my address and I have blanks to turn.

Gloria

Hi Gloria

Welcome aboard i have your PM this morning and have sent you a reply, well said Amos

Simomatra
20th February 2012, 09:24 AM
Good morning all, I have just recieved the shipment and will post out later today.

Due to David from Timberbits cominh onbard as a sponsor we still have 130 kits still available for turning, any takers

Lest we Forget

Simomatra
20th February 2012, 01:35 PM
All posted today kits that is

Simomatra
22nd February 2012, 07:42 AM
Avery I think I have missed this post canu please PM me you addy

Cheers Sam

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk

Gloriac
22nd February 2012, 10:13 PM
Received my kits today in the mail thanks - all in good order and now waiting for me to complete them.
Gloria :)

Sawdust Maker
22nd February 2012, 10:15 PM
what's a GT-P7500 - sounds like you have an entry in V8 supercar comp next year :rolleyes:

PS Mine arrive as well - thanks

Simomatra
23rd February 2012, 11:44 AM
what's a GT-P7500 - sounds like you have an entry in V8 supercar comp next year :rolleyes:

PS Mine arrive as well - thanks

The new Samsung 10.1 tablet just like an IPad

Ironwood
23rd February 2012, 07:04 PM
I was asked just recently ( in a very friendly manner ) if it was appropriate to make pens for the troops out of timber not native to Australia. I replied how my thoughts were on the matter, but after thinking about it through the day, I thought it may be best to bring it up here and open it up for general discussion. As some people may have different opinions.
As some may be aware, I sent Sam a box of surplus timber blanks, among some native species were 2 exotic species, namely Khaya ( African Mahogany ) and Teak ( Tectona Grandis ) both of the trees that these blanks came from, grew in Weipa N/Qld, planted by Comalco to either regenerate mined areas, or as trees for the township.
I thought about the same issue when deciding if I would include these blanks in with the others for distribution to other penturners, in the end I decided as Australia is a very multicultural Nation ,that I would include these blanks with an exotic background.
In my reply to my friend who asked the question, I said if he felt it innapropriate to use them, then please dont, keep them for himself and use some of his own blanks.
I extend this to anyone else who has recieved any of these blanks, use them as you see fit.

Any comments, good or bad, for or against, will be appreciated.

Grommett
23rd February 2012, 07:23 PM
Isn't it also that these are made by us as a gesture of support? I came to Oz in 1952', permanent resident but still technically a Pom. Doesn't disqualify me as a pen maker ( I hope). I think it's the effort and thought that's important not the material. Where would acrylics sit? But probably Oz native timbers would be the first, but not only, choice. I am firmly on the fence.

Ironwood
23rd February 2012, 07:34 PM
I think it's the effort and thought that's important not the material.

Well said Grommet.

cookie48
23rd February 2012, 07:52 PM
I feel it is the thought that counts, even tho Aust timber is prob prefered. Remember that it is to show the Troops that they are thought of. A pen is a pen made with those Troops in mind. My thoughts only. Do not mean to offend anyone.
Cookie

P.S. Sam got my kits today. Thanks

PenTurner
23rd February 2012, 09:39 PM
I think here that it is the heart that goes into it, and I think the troops will take it as that, Amos:):2tsup:

Simomatra
24th February 2012, 07:12 AM
I made amd sent quite a few acrylics in the Christmas one, I thought that the ladies may like them

Simomatra
24th February 2012, 09:45 AM
Brad
I am in the process of making 20 pens from your kindly donated blanks I m sure its the thought behingd the pen not the material.

Wel done on generously giving your blanks. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Simomatra
24th February 2012, 12:36 PM
Avery and floody kits in the mail today :D:D

cookie48
24th February 2012, 04:24 PM
Shed reading 49 heat. To hot to be there. Will get back to it very soon. Sorry for delay.

Ironwood
27th February 2012, 08:33 AM
Brad
I am in the process of making 20 pens from your kindly donated blanks I m sure its the thought behingd the pen not the material.

Wel done on generously giving your blanks. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Hey Sam, how did you go with those pens, dont forget to put photos of yours up too :2tsup:

Simomatra
27th February 2012, 09:31 AM
Hey Sam, how did you go with those pens, dont forget to put photos of yours up too :2tsup:

Got waylaid will post when I get them finished

Sawdust Maker
27th February 2012, 11:09 AM
can't turn for a while :no:
have repetitive strain injury from drilling holes in so many blanks that Ironwood generously supplied :p
it is my drinking hand too :doh:
Mate, thanks for supplying the wood :2tsup:

tweed woody
27th February 2012, 07:01 PM
PM sent

Simomatra
28th February 2012, 09:47 AM
PM sent

Welcome aboard see the Anzac Day thread

Avery
6th March 2012, 02:48 PM
Can someone please pm me that address that I should send the finished pens to. TIA

Simomatra
26th March 2012, 11:26 AM
I need back the finished pen please ASAP, there are quite few still out there