PDA

View Full Version : Advice for beginner

rmf78
15th February 2012, 12:22 PM
Hi All, after many years of being obssessed with beautiful wooden products I have decided to take the plunge and learn woodworking. I have absolutely zero background in woodworking or any trade. I love wood and also the idea of making beautiful wooden objects for my family. So have decided to put myself out there and give it a go.

I have managed to find someone who will give me woodturning lessons and I am also enrolling in a furniture making course.

Any advice for a complete novice? It is worth investing in a second hand lathe and after having some lessons and learning how to work safely just doing it myself?

Any thoughts ideas advice etc. would be most welcome.

Also I live in Prahran, Victoria, so any information on local clubs, timber suppliers etc would be really helpful.

Thanks and looking forward to getting involved in all things wood!

Cheers

Ron

bhedgesdipalo
15th February 2012, 12:33 PM
Hi Ron and welcome. I am a beginner also. Started early last year but due to some ill health have not turned a lot of items other than Pens which don't take a great deal of effort. Great that you have found someone to teach you. Always practice safety first. Eye, Ear, Breathing protection is of most importance. Joining a Woodturners Club is the best thing one can do as usually as in my case the other members are Extremely experienced Men & Women and give you the very best advice. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You will be given many different answers as everyone has different style. I was given an old lathe to learn on and once I get to a better level of experience will invest in a better lathe. Once you start guarantee that you will be hooked. There will be wood pieces everywhere............Hope you have a big shed...............All the best

_fly_
15th February 2012, 12:39 PM
There is waverley woodworkers opposite jordanville station. Its near malvern rd and huntindale rd cnr. Thats not to far from you. Waverley Woodworkers Inc. (WWC) (http://www.waverleywoodworkers.org.au/) will show you where. They have all the equipment you want to use and there are people to teach you as well. Have fun, look forward to seeing what you come up with.

rmf78
15th February 2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the advice bhedgesdipalo, is turning pens difficult? I've seen a couple of tutorials on youtube and it looks like allot of fun. I love the idea of making a pen!

rmf78
15th February 2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks Fly, will definitely head down there and look into joining.

Treecycle
16th February 2012, 05:47 AM
Turning pens is quite easy once you have turned your first one. I shyed away from turning pens for a long time thinking it was going to be difficult. Once I turned the first I wondered why I had put it off. Be warned, turning pens is addictive.
As far as wood supplies go, once people know you are a turner, you will be offered wood from all directions. If you join a club, you will have even more offers.
Just re-read your post and now realise that maybe you were referring to furniture timber. That I will leave to the locals to point you in the right direction.
Working with wood is a great hobby.

munruben
16th February 2012, 11:26 AM
You have chosen a great hobby with heaps of potential for making many different things. Turning can be great fun and very rewarding in as much as the great satisfaction you feel when you have created something unique. Many many facets to woodworking and all of them are fascinating. As mentioned pen turning is addictive but then again, all woodworking is. enjoy your new found addiction. :2tsup::2tsup: