PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed

Different
4th February 2005, 09:37 PM
I have just inherited a lathe something I have been without a decent on of for years and need peoples advice on a couple of issues.

I want to make some pens so bought a few "kits" not realizing you would need some kind of a mandrel to assemble them. Can someone advise what the go is with these how much do they cost or if specs are available so I can make one myself I also inherited a matal lathe ?

Also what are peoples prefered tools for roughing out the inside of bowls. I dont know what things are on offer these days as I havent been turning for the mest part of 10 years.

Ross

Kev Y.
4th February 2005, 09:45 PM
Ross, look here:

http://au.store.yahoo.com/cws-store/mandrelsbushes.html

Jim can help you with all you need, as is reported in other posts here, he is prompt with his delivery. :D

( Jim.. I earned my finders fee this month :D :D )

rsser
5th February 2005, 06:19 AM
Also what are peoples prefered tools for roughing out the inside of bowls. I dont know what things are on offer these days as I havent been turning for the mest part of 10 years.
Ross

Plenty of options depending on your budget. See eg. the current thread on hollowing tools. But a medium size bowl gouge will inflict about as much damage as you need :)

I'm a fan of the Taylor 3/8" Superflute, which will allow you to take both heavy and fine cuts. With a bowl scraper for the base and a bit of technique, not much sanding is needed.

Ross
5th February 2005, 08:28 AM
Ross

Trend Timbers have the strongest mandrels I have found so far and they have them made locally. A bit expensive at $33.00 but well worth the money.

I bought my mandrel from Carba-tec about 10 months ago for $19.00. After turning about 60 pens I found the shaft flexing (no I am not over tightening it on the lathe).

If you go up there check out their trimmers too.

Ross

Different
5th February 2005, 11:55 PM
Ross

Trend Timbers have the strongest mandrels I have found so far and they have them made locally. A bit expensive at $33.00 but well worth the money.

I bought my mandrel from Carba-tec about 10 months ago for $19.00. After turning about 60 pens I found the shaft flexing (no I am not over tightening it on the lathe).

If you go up there check out their trimmers too.

Ross
Yes I bought one today from Trend mostly so I can copy and make my own from now on. What do you mean by trimmers?

KevM
6th February 2005, 11:47 AM
Ross,
A Pen mill is used to square up the end of the glued up blank. It will remove excess glue and also excess timber from cutting the blanks over length. I suspect this is the trimmer that Ross(2) was talking about.

Check here for details http://store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/penmill.html . I have found Gary Pye to be great to deal with over the years and delivery from Queensland to Tasmania is overnight in most cases.

Kev M

Different
6th February 2005, 10:55 PM
And here I was just cutting the blank exactly the same length as the brass pen tubes and gluing in position. I guess I could just run them throgh my Rifle cartridge trimmer that should be nice and accurate.

Ross

KevM
8th February 2005, 02:10 PM
Ross,
It is always a little difficult to get the tube and blank the same length. Also at times you will find that you do not get a clean exit hole with the drill. The other difficulty is that at times the drill may wander, hence you need to square up the ends to the hole. If your rifle cartridge trimmer will trim square to the tube, you are laughing.

Kev M

Termite
8th February 2005, 02:16 PM
If your rifle cartridge trimmer will trim square to the tube, you are laughing.
Is this what is called "shooting blanks" :D