PDA

View Full Version : Threading for kitless pens

Big Shed
17th February 2012, 05:58 PM
I was asked by another pen maker for some details on how to do threading in PR for kitless pens, so I made up a quick tutorial for him.

Thought perhaps it could be of interest to other pen makers as well.

PenTurner
17th February 2012, 06:47 PM
Thanks Fred,:2tsup::2tsup: great tutorial for those who struggle to comprehend even the simplest of mechanical things( I'm one), now to give it a go!!:oo:Amos:)

dai sensei
17th February 2012, 10:59 PM
Good tutorial Fred, but have you made a kitless from PR?

I know you can thread PR, but I thought PR was too brittle and breaks too easily on the threads once you have turned them down to size for a pen. Or at least that is what they say on the IAP site.

Cheers

Perfect Pens
17th February 2012, 11:32 PM
Great tutorial !!:2tsup: thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Tony.

HazzaB
17th February 2012, 11:47 PM
Hey Fred,

Beaut Tutorial there, Thanks for sharing, I will print this off for future reference.

HazzaB

Big Shed
18th February 2012, 02:03 PM
Good tutorial Fred, but have you made a kitless from PR?

I know you can thread PR, but I thought PR was too brittle and breaks too easily on the threads once you have turned them down to size for a pen. Or at least that is what they say on the IAP site.

Cheers

Neil, you don't want to believe everything you read on IAP:D, particularly when it comes to taps, dies and threading. There is a lot of misinformation about this subject, usually not from those that have done it (and are doing it) but but from people with pre-conceived ideas and or that don't know how to go about it.

To answer your question, yes I have made kitless pens and am in the process of putting together a tutorial on that subject.

I have done M12 outside diameter on the barrel with an M10 inside thread for the section without any problems, that leaves less than 1mm wall thickness on the end of the barrel and I have had no problem with that.

I find the thing you have to watch is to keep the thread free from swarf whilst you are cutting it, ie keep clearing it away all the time and don't cut too much thread without withdrawing either the tap or the die. Combine this with your trusty canola cooking oil and you should have no problems. I've put some pics up, note the clear PR collar as per the tutorial.

Only thing I haven't made yet is my own sections.

Dorno
19th February 2012, 09:07 PM
Nice work with the tutorial Fred thanks for the info I am sure it will help out in the future and I am looking forward to you next tutorial on Kitless pens.

Well Done:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers Ian

PenTurner
23rd February 2012, 09:50 PM
Following the tutorial,:2tsup::2tsup: and many cries for help to Fred,:oo::oo: this is the outcome, Amos:):)

cookie48
24th February 2012, 12:51 AM
Ok I have read the tutorial and printed it,BUT I am still confused. What is a kitless pen. Can someone please put a pic up of one?

cookie48
24th February 2012, 12:54 AM
Sorry folks. Just seen one. Is there someone that can please explain it all for me.

Big Shed
24th February 2012, 08:08 AM
Sorry folks. Just seen one. Is there someone that can please explain it all for me.

FP from the Pen Turner's Bible - International Association of Penturners (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/fp-pen-turners-bible-94029/)

and lots of them on this forum

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/214974-classic-ebonite/

cookie48
24th February 2012, 04:29 PM
Next question please. What is this Pen Turners Bible they all mention. If it does live where can I get one?

Big Shed
24th February 2012, 04:48 PM
Next question please. What is this Pen Turners Bible they all mention. If it does live where can I get one?

Pen Turner's Bible: The Art of Creating Custom Pens : Richard Kleinhenz : 9780941936613 (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Pen-Turners-Bible-Richard-Kleinhenz/9780941936613)

I ordered one on 16/2 and paid $22.95, I wus robbed!

KBs PensNmore
25th February 2012, 08:16 PM

Timberbits have them about $26.00 plus postage.

gawdelpus
26th February 2012, 09:08 AM
Fred's link has them listed at $18.45 including delivery ,its all about timing Fred hehe,and being psychic is an advantage as well :) cheers ~ John

Big Shed
26th February 2012, 09:22 AM
Timberbits have them about $26.00 plus postage.

Wasn't aware that David also sold books, must go and have a look.

Whenever I am looking for a book I must admit The Book Depository is my "go to" site.

Big Shed
29th February 2012, 04:36 PM
Was doing some threading on a barrel today and forgot to put the collar on the 12mm external thread whilst I was threading the internal 10mm thread, crack she said.:~:doh:

Have done quite a few now with the threaded collar, none of which have cracked, this was my first one without putting the threaded collar on. Guess that proves you need it.:B