PDA

View Full Version : Back doing some turning

toddbron
18th February 2012, 09:07 PM
Hi folks,

Have finally gotten back to do some turning for turning's sake. This is my first effort for a while. A very basic Camphor Laurel candle holder. A few tool marks I found after the triple e and shellawax. Let me know what you think.

Todd

toddbron
18th February 2012, 09:21 PM
Crazy stuff about tokens.

Todd

Drillit
20th February 2012, 09:22 AM
Hello Toddbron,
I always appreciate the texture of camphor laurel. If I can add something about sanding and I hope I am not telling you how to suck eggs - you need to go through the grades and start with say 100 or 120, then 150 or 180, then 240 and finally 320. Some go higher to 400 +. I dont. I then wet the timber to raise the grain and finish again with the 320. I then use EEE and then shellawax cream or liquid glow. All is done on the lathe when running. I have found that this is pretty much foolproof in removing sanding marks as each grade is used to remove marks left by the earlier grade.. In passing I hope you have got past all the rain up there. You sure have had some. Anyways hope this helps. Regards, Drillit.

smiife
20th February 2012, 07:14 PM
hi todd,
looks good to me ,but then cl is my favourite timber
and always looks good :2tsup:,maybe return to the lathe and give it
another quick sand thru the grades,and then you have to
make a second one..candle sticks always come in pairs
don't they :;:;
cheers smiife:2tsup:

toddbron
20th February 2012, 10:44 PM
hi todd,
looks good to me ,but then cl is my favourite timber
and always looks good :2tsup:,maybe return to the lathe and give it
another quick sand thru the grades,and then you have to
make a second one..candle sticks always come in pairs
don't they :;:;
cheers smiife:2tsup:
I would love to make a pair - that was my last piece of camphor laurel - doesn't seem to grow out here.

Todd

cookie48
21st February 2012, 12:50 AM
Looks very nice. Allso like that timber. Allways looks nice. Not being an expert, but if I find marks on a piece I remount and sand again. Seems to work for my butter fingers.

Christos
21st February 2012, 11:35 AM
I like it.

munruben
21st February 2012, 07:43 PM
Nice work and great piece of CL some nice show of colour nicely figured. :2tsup::2tsup: