PDA

View Full Version : Need help on modifying a Woodfast

wooden plane
18th February 2012, 10:45 PM
Gidday there.
I'm hoping someone may be able to advise me. I just bought a 1987 model Woodfast MC900, it works, and looks to be in fairly good order, the problem I have is that it has a 0.75kw? ( no data plate is on the motor) 3-phase motor and I have single phase to my shed. I have, I think, three options.
1 - Have ETSA run a 3-phase line to my house, this is an unknown cost as I will have to wait 3 weeks until they can come out to quote on it.
2 - Add a VSD into the system, costly, and which one would I get, I am advised a Toshiba VF-S11-4055 PL-WN may be available,and may do the job. I'm not exactly literate in this field and it would still require re-wiring from the supply to the lathe.
3 - Change to a single phase motor, I think I can get the right one to fit but it will still require re-wiring and new (or 2nd hand) switches.
Any advise as to which way to go would be greatfully recieved
Mike

issatree
19th February 2012, 01:03 AM
Hi Mike,
Changing the Motor with a Single Phase, I think would be the go, as it would be the cheapest..
Then again, to buy a Inverter?, would give you Variable Speed.
I bought a SEW EURODRIVE Movitrac, & it has been fantastic.
Be sure you have at least a 2HP. Motor, as you lose a bit of Torque.
If you buy an Expensive Pack, then you don't have that Problem.
Seeing you are in Adelaide, why not ask at Woodfast, there at your back door.

_fly_
19th February 2012, 01:04 AM
I'd say at a guess that putting in a single phase motor is the go.
wiring up you could almost do yourself I think with a bit of smarts.
There was someone in the forums selling motors of all sizes.
How many HP you need I'm betting someone else in the forum can tell you.

RETIRED
19th February 2012, 08:07 AM
If money is not too much of a problem I would fit this unit. CWS Store - Variable Speed Motor | Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/category/-variable-speed-motor)

Best of all worlds: Variable speed. No rewiring needed. They work.

wooden plane
19th February 2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks for that fellas, looks like 's just given me a 4th option although that would be a bit more than my budget can stand just now, interesting though.
I'm going to have a think about it, although I am leaning towards installing a single phase motor just because of cost, a straight swap to a 1 hp single phase motor may be a bit underpowered so I could go to 1.5 or 2 hp. The object may then be a VSD at some future date. If going to the single phase motor is the go will I be able to use the existing on/off switch or will the switch (and the wiring to and from) need to be replaced?
I have tried to include a couple of photos, including one of the switch but am having trouble getting them to attach.

Thanks for the info.
Mike.

RETIRED
19th February 2012, 09:03 PM
1 HP is more than sufficient for lathes of that size.

All our small lathes run 1 HP and the bigger ones run 3 HP.

The main reason they use 2 or 3 HP on the VSD lathes is to cover the torque loss.

If you stall a true 1hp motor on that size lathe you ain't cuttin proper. :wink::D

Brisruss
19th February 2012, 09:36 PM
Pity you are not in Brisbane. I have a single phase motor off a delta which I thing would probably fit. It has all the wiring and switch already connected.
It has a 5/8 inch shaft on it.
Google delta 46-715 and you will find the details.

Cheers,
Russ

Paul39
20th February 2012, 11:32 AM
I lean toward Variable Frequency Drive on 3 phase motor.

See: 1HP 230 Volt -- USE AS A PHASE CONVERTER PLUS GET VARIABLE SPEED, Model FM50-201-OC, Single Phase Input ONLY, Three Phase Output, variable frequency drive, variable frequency drives, ac drive, vfd, afd, frequency drive, drive, inverter, adjustable sp (http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?PID=761)

Variable-frequency drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-frequency_drive)

For more than you ever wanted to know about VFDs:

Transformers, Phase Converters and VFD - Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web (http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/transformers-phase-converters-vfd/)

As the Tecos are made in Asia, you can probably find a dealer in AU. You want the type that keeps the same torque under varying loads - Vectorless Drive.

You connect the three wires coming from the motor to the bottom of the drive, connect power wire to the top, plug in and turn timber.

I have a Teco on a 1 HP motor. I tried stalling it by grabbing the shaft with it running as slow as it will go without stopping. I could not.

The one drawback of a VFD running very slowly for a long time is the motor will overheat, because the fan on the shaft is not pulling enough air over or through the motor. That is overcome by putting a small fan to blow on or through the motor.

When I start roughing a big chunk, I change the belt on the pulleys to run slowly. I knock the out of balance stuff off and then speed up the motor a bit, get more round, speed up, etc. The brief time I'm running the motor slowly does not heat it up.

I believe 748 watts = 1 HP.

wooden plane
27th February 2012, 06:29 PM
Gidday there,
I would like to thank all who answered my query, I checked out the costs of practically every possibility mentioned, I was fairly constrained in the amount of money I could spend immediately to get the lathe operational, I was given some great advice by the gentlemen at Woodfast and a lead to get the exact motor etc.
So I ended up with a single phase motor and a new on/off switch. I could not use the origional switch as it required the 416v coil activation to switch on, the 240v just didn't do it. The electrition used most of the origional wiring and the cost came down to a fairly reasonable sum. I still have the option eventually of installing variable speed at a later date.
So although it's not necessarily the bees knees with all the bells and whistles I think I can live with it for a while. Now I look like having a spare 3-phase motor and on/off switch, I will have to think about that some time. Now I have to get some chembolts to anchor it to mother earth.
Once again, thank you gentlemen, your information was very helpful.

Mike

sparkie54
29th February 2012, 12:52 PM
If you don't want to keep the spare chuck it on ebay - you might be suprised :U

hughie
29th February 2012, 08:00 PM
[. Now I have to get some chembolts to anchor it to mother earth.

:o what are you turning? Chembolts are some real serious holding down power.

wooden plane
1st March 2012, 05:55 PM
Gidday again
Yeah sparkie I have considered putting the motor and switch on e-bay, I will keep it for a while just in case my son can use it, just a maybe though, the money could buy me a few more tools.
Hughie I thought of chembolts because the concrete floor is only about 90 mm thick I drilled it and broke through then considered that I'd probably loose all the chemical. I don't always have a lot of luck with dyna-bolts although I did use them in the end, two held really well but the two at the headstock end needed pulling up about 40 mm before they locked up, I think they must have broken out into a void a bit early. anyway they are good now.
Thanks again for all the help
Mike