PDA

View Full Version : Five Mistakes

brendan stemp
19th February 2012, 01:48 PM
Apologies if this already been posted.

Have a look at this link and try to spot the 5 mistakes the pictured turner is making. Remember it is a still photo and you can place your cursor on the area where the mistake is, click and the program will let you know if you are right.

My bet is that most of you will not get the fifth error. I thought I had them all but there is an odd one there that will raise a question or two.

Against The Grain: Turning at the Lathe (http://www.finewoodworking.com/games/against-the-grain-five.asp)

turnerted
19th February 2012, 01:59 PM
Took a while to find the fifth one and a bit questionable.
Ted

NCArcher
I'm not a turner but I got them all. Which one do you see as odd?

Pat
Got all 5 . . . basic safety.

_fly_
19th February 2012, 02:04 PM
If your only doing it as a hobby then the safest way is not to do it. How safe do they think we need to be. The fifth I suggest is questionable. Maybe we should keep a pint of blood on standby if we ever need it. There should be 3 other people watching in hazmat suits in case the wood is toxic, 2 electricians in case there is wiring problem and 2 paramedics in case I stub my toe. Happy enough with the 4 major ones.

munruben
19th February 2012, 02:30 PM
I got them all in the end but lost a fe points finding the last one:(

yarrabilly
19th February 2012, 02:34 PM
Got the fifth one but only because I thought it would be about respiratory protection. I'm with fly...

Jim Carroll
19th February 2012, 03:03 PM
Apologies if this already been posted.

Have a look at this link and try to spot the 5 mistakes the pictured turner is making. Remember it is a still photo and you can place your cursor on the area where the mistake is, click and the program will let you know if you are right.

My bet is that most of you will not get the fifth error. I thought I had them all but there is an odd one there that will raise a question or two.

Against The Grain: Turning at the Lathe (http://www.finewoodworking.com/games/against-the-grain-five.asp)

Ok brendan what do you see as questionable.

tea lady
19th February 2012, 03:12 PM
Double cover your eyes? :doh:

brendan stemp
19th February 2012, 03:14 PM
Ok brendan what do you see as questionable.

I am flabbergasted! I have never heard of anyone suggesting an extra pair of safety goggles should be worn under a facemask. So, that's what I thought was- sorry, is questionable.

Obviously I am wrong, but it ain't gonna change what I do or teach.

So, Jim, you wouldn't agree? Or were you just asking the question.

Pat seems to think its basic safety; is it?

I might re-consider my wearing of thongs in the workshop before I go for the extra pair of safety goggles.:) I have enough trouble seeing through the facemask, so an extra layer is just going to make it worse.

Pat
19th February 2012, 03:20 PM
Brendan, for me, I wear safety glasses when ever I am playing with the toys in the sheds. The face shield is kept on the bench next to the lathe, especially for turning burls or suspect wood.

The times I dont automatically put on the safety glasses is when the fridge calls out seductively or I get into my comfy recliner :U

Jim Carroll
19th February 2012, 04:07 PM
This is where a persons eye sight is worth more than other things.

We have taught guys who have safety specs and we still insist on them wearing a face sheild.

It is one thing to wear safety specs but the chips can still get in under the glasses into your eyes. They bounce of your cheeks and get between the gap between your cheeks and glass rims.

A face sheild may not be the best option but it certainly helps.

The best option for anyone wearing glasses or even those that dont is a powered respirator as you get full face protection and clean air, There will always be excuses for not wearing one, too heavy too expensive etc but at the end of the day you were only given one set of eyes and lungs and it is expensive to change those.

My chuckle was at the guys cuffs, roll them down and do them up is a lot safer than roling the sleeves up, a rolled up sleeve restrict movement and binds up around the arms, why restrict movement. And with arm movement they tend to unroll and become nuasance,
Why not just wear a short sleeve shirt.
A lot of guys wear long sleeve smocks to prevent dermatitus on their arms so no problem there. The cuff stops the muck sitting on their armsand getting up the sleeves.

brendan stemp
19th February 2012, 05:15 PM
This is where a persons eye sight is worth more than other things.

We have taught guys who have safety specs and we still insist on them wearing a face sheild.

It is one thing to wear safety specs but the chips can still get in under the glasses into your eyes. They bounce of your cheeks and get between the gap between your cheeks and glass rims.

I'm a little confused here Jim. I'm not advocating the pros or cons of safety glasses and can only agree with what you have said. However, I thought the issue was the bloke in the pic was wearing a face mask only without the added protection of SG. I thought a facemask was sufficient protection. I have, on two occasions been grateful for the protection of a face mask but have never thought it was necessary to wear safety glasses as well. Only when turning small stuff between centres do I rely on safety glasses only.

A Duke
19th February 2012, 05:34 PM
I only got that one when I clicked his ear in case they thought he needed hearing protection and that was near enough to the goggles to get the point. Far more sneaky is the one on resawing when you click on his pearly whites you get the story about the number of teeth to use on the blade because the blade is in the job and you can't see the teeth. If you click on the nice wide spare blade on the side table you lose points.
Regards

NCArcher
19th February 2012, 05:44 PM
Double eye protection is mandatory in heavy industry (well in the mines and associated areas that I know of anyway) especially when grinding or using anything that rotates at a great rate of knots. That's why I didn't think it unusual.

skot
19th February 2012, 05:47 PM
I got all 5 but at one stage I clicked at a point below the motor at the end of the lathe...thought it was a beer bottle and lost points.

wheelinround
19th February 2012, 05:58 PM
Got all 5 although one I clicked on didn't come up at first score 230

nalmo
19th February 2012, 06:43 PM
Got all 5 but must admit my fifth was for breathing protection (being an asthmatic) rather than 2nd layer of eye protection.
So now there are 6 things I have to remember.

brendan stemp
19th February 2012, 06:59 PM
But what about the tool rest being too high? I thought that would be one; it looks too high to me. But I was wrong about the eye protection so...........

Pat
19th February 2012, 07:15 PM
But what about the tool rest being too high? I thought that would be one; it looks too high to me. But I was wrong about the eye protection so...........

Too high for the SRG, too far out from the work piece, SRG presented at right angles to the job . . .

RETIRED
19th February 2012, 08:57 PM
Too high for the SRG, too far out from the work piece, SRG presented at right angles to the job . . .Right on Mr B. The tool would be scraping, not cutting.

dai sensei
19th February 2012, 09:27 PM
Glasses and a face shield, I'm having a battle at the club at the moment just getting them to force turners to wear just one :-, some of them think it is more important to wear ear plugs :doh:

BobL
19th February 2012, 10:02 PM
A double layer of unprescribed eye protection can sometimes be a danger rather than a help. Double layers can add reflections or produce distort fields of view and restrictive peripheral vision.

I normally wear a face shield because I sometimes wear specs. The one time I was so glad I was wearing one was using a chainsaw mill, a 25 mm heavy brass cap from the auxiliary oiler tank vibrated loose and fell onto the chain with the saw operating at full throttle. The cap hit me on the face shield fair between the eyes and it felt like I had been hit by a baseball bat.

_fly_
19th February 2012, 11:40 PM
The 5 errors are not shown?
1. There is no beer fridge.
2. No racks/stacks of wood in the corner.
3. He's not wearing shorts and thongs.
4. There is no tube of CA on top of lathe to 'patch' things
5. His wife is in the shed doing filming, das woman is vebotten.

Any body see any other errors?

Peter

wooden plane
20th February 2012, 12:30 AM
I got all 5 but I was thought the faceshield one was for hearing protection (I miss the silence of belt driven lathes).

dr4g0nfly
20th February 2012, 03:04 AM
I also lost a couple of points finding the fifth and only clicked it due to no breathing protection.

My first though was the loose wires hanging down from the lathe (trip hazard).

However I do wear double eye protection normally, Safety Glasses with my prescription and either a face shield or air-mask.

tea lady
20th February 2012, 08:28 AM
Right on Mr B. The tool would be scraping, not cutting.I reckon face shields are designed wrong for turning! They seem specially designed for the chavings to go straight up your nose. has one that comes around his chin and sits against his chest! I want one of those.

Kinda like this. Not the one has though!
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQut0qJ5pn7QQ92n3UshfDs0BoLszW4HCS1ANI8UXDOHUrdBD4K2w

Or this for the go fast model.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWr0rCyTHW4IHGe1g_Wub8nnE5ZETUr5bkwxSjni1l9U5UCaaU

brendan stemp
20th February 2012, 08:53 AM
The 5 errors are not shown?
1. There is no beer fridge.
2. No racks/stacks of wood in the corner.
3. He's not wearing shorts and thongs.
4. There is no tube of CA on top of lathe to 'patch' things
5. His wife is in the shed doing filming, das woman is vebotten.

Any body see any other errors?

Peter

6. He's too young to be a woodturner:D
7. He is dressed too neatly. Put a tie on him and he could be off to his accounting office.:)

Cliff Rogers
20th February 2012, 09:08 AM
There are a couple of other things I would pick, not life/health threatening but I wouldn't do it.
1. As already picked, tool rest is too high.
2. He should be starting his roughing at the end & working out, not in the middle dur to the risk of getting a long splinter instead of chips.
3. I wouldn't dare to start roughing out with an open collar, all the chips would go straight up under the mask, bounce of my chin & then go straight down the front of my shirt.

REALTIMBER
20th February 2012, 09:23 AM
double eye protection is mandatory in most worksites thesedays. probably coz you only get one set...

BobL
20th February 2012, 10:23 AM
. . . . some of them think it is more important to wear ear plugs :doh:

They probably get to used to wearing them at home :D.

Farnk
20th February 2012, 10:42 AM
Not to mention wearing a black belt with beige trousers!! LORDY!:D

smiife
20th February 2012, 07:06 PM
i might be wrong but is the on/off switch on the back
of the lathe, under the loose chisels balanced on the headstock
cheers smiife

Sawdust Maker
20th February 2012, 08:38 PM
I reckon face shields are designed wrong for turning! They seem specially designed for the chavings to go straight up your nose. has one that comes around his chin and sits against his chest! I want one of those.

Kinda like this. Not the one has though!
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQut0qJ5pn7QQ92n3UshfDs0BoLszW4HCS1ANI8UXDOHUrdBD4K2w

Or this for the go fast model.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWr0rCyTHW4IHGe1g_Wub8nnE5ZETUr5bkwxSjni1l9U5UCaaU

I agree
well Jim?

cookie48
21st February 2012, 01:12 AM
Got the five by luck. Two set of protection over eyes a bit much really I think. All was worried aboout all that wiring hanging around. But the big thing is the turkey holding the turning tool. He looks s#&t scared and not confident at all.

Grumpy John
21st February 2012, 07:54 AM
I've worked as a fitter & turner in heavy manufacture including the BHP & Rio Tinto workshops at Dampier, Port Hedland and Cape Lambert and have never heard of double eye protection as being mandatory. I will say that it's been about 6 years since I left the trade and things may have changed.
Personally I don't wear safety glasses when turning as I find they fog up, the face shield however has plenty of ventilation and rarely fogs up (maybe I'm just an unusally heavy breather :p).

NeilS
21st February 2012, 01:57 PM
Like others, I was clicking for a respirator and got the safety glasses thing. No harm in a second line of defence on the eyes, if you are so inclined. I'm not, but do always wear a face shield. However, I consider it negligent to omit a respirator.

Having got the 'required' five I then kept looking at the position of that banjo/toolrest and the height of that right hand, which are all wrong IMO. He is referred to as a woodworker, not a woodturner, so they got that bit right!