PDA

View Full Version : Edge finder . which is best?

morrisman
20th February 2012, 09:34 PM
i have one of the wobbly type . its slow and labourious to use . I have it in a collet and bring it up to the edge and watch it centre . Then I do some sums . Its 1/4" halved , them to metric . The I calculate whatever distance of travel

Mike

.RC.
20th February 2012, 09:56 PM
mine is 10mm.. Run it up against the job until it clicks...Zero the dro, move it 5mm then zero the dro and I am on the edge.

pipeclay
20th February 2012, 10:04 PM
You could just try a bit of cigarette paper.

morrisman
20th February 2012, 10:04 PM
mine is 10mm.. Run it up against the job until it clicks...Zero the dro, move it 5mm then zero the dro and I am on the edge.

Ok , but what clicks ? Is it a mechanical device ?

I use the dials on the handwheels ..no DRO :no: .

Anorak Bob
20th February 2012, 10:08 PM
You could always save up your play money and buy one of these.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/tasty-taster-146829/

BT

morrisman
20th February 2012, 10:21 PM
You could just try a bit of cigarette paper.

Yes I will try that . :2tsup:

Mike

pipeclay
20th February 2012, 10:46 PM
I must admit I have a tendency to use the yellow pages.

Stustoys
20th February 2012, 11:43 PM
Hi Mike,
Well the 1/4"x0.5 converted to metric is the same number every time. 3.175mm. That should save you some math.

It wouldnt be hard to make a 6mm one

Stuart

RayG
20th February 2012, 11:59 PM
I must admit I have a tendency to use the yellow pages.

I've upgraded to ebay....

Regards
Ray

Greg Q
21st February 2012, 12:02 AM
Fisher tool in LA sells what is probably the best old school edge finder still being made in the new world. The old world still trumps that with the Haimer 3D taster that Bob linked (I assume since I am on a less than friendly pad device, and hence will not look)

Starrett's current production edge finders are all Chinois and so-so according to those now ex-Starrett affecianados on the net.

A couple of years back the best edge finders in the world were made by an old-timer for Hermann Schmidt in the USA, but he has left the building, in one form or another apparently. Hence, Fisher is your guy now.

GQ
Up this late trying to adorn a fabricated switch plate with engine turning just to mess with Bob's thang tonight. :aro-r:

.RC.
21st February 2012, 07:49 AM

Well it moves sideways as it hits the edge...

DRO's are magic on the mill...really, really, really really good...

pipeclay
21st February 2012, 09:02 AM

Have you ever measured the Actual movement of the Table in regards to Actual movement of your dials,from my experience with these type machines the increments on the dials are a guide,I have not found any yet that move the stated amount.
When needing to move an accurate distance or depth I use an indicator.