PDA

View Full Version : Cooking eggs

ubeaut
23rd February 2012, 07:42 AM
I'm a real stickler for properly cooked eggs or at least what I call properly cooked.... Firm whites runny yolk. One of the only places in the world that I've been where you can get them exactly as you want them is in Texas USA and most anywhere else I've been in the US. Here it's pot luck what you get in a restaurant or cafe.

Anyhow..... Last Sunday I purchased this Sunbeam Poach and Boil (http://www.sunbeam.com.au/products/kitchen/ec1300/) thing and tried it out for the first time this-morning. To say I like it would be an understatement. Best poached eggs I think I have ever had. Done to perfection and in only 4 minutes. Absolutely amazing little machine and one that will definitely be getting a real good workout at my house.

Well done Sunbeam. If you are also a stickler for eggs cooked properly then I can't recommend one of these little cookers highly enough. They're not very expensive around $30 and for mine they're worth every cent.

Cheers - Neil :U

PS It also does omelets, boiled eggs & steamed vegges, etc. Yet to try anything else but if it works half as well at other stuff as it does with poaching I'll be a very happy camper.

Ironwood
23rd February 2012, 08:39 AM
We got one of these for Christmas last year, I would have to agree it does a good job. We have made some good omelettes out of it too,
Very easy to use , and easy to clean.

Enfield Guy
11th March 2012, 06:51 PM
I have had one of those things in various forms for over 15 years. I am on my third machine now. I would not be without one. Once you work out the sometimes weird nuances of how they work you will have absolutely perfect eggs every time. Less water for 6 eggs than for 2 is a good example. Applying the logic, you also need less water for large eggs over small but the amount is only incremental.

As far as poached is concerned, I always do mine in a pot. A teaspoon of vinegar in the pot for each egg plus one teaspoon. Get the water to a rolling boil, stir the water to create an eddie, drop the egg into the centre. the swirling water will help to keep a good tight shape to the egg. swirl water again and drop in the second. When the white has changed colour count to 10. Done. prefect poached eggs.

One of the keys to good poached eggs is FRESH eggs. When cooking for a crowd, I've done 30 for breaky, I want the eggs to be hot from the chooks cloaca the previous day.

The machine does produce constant results for poached, but mine are better.

Cheers

snowyskiesau
11th March 2012, 07:21 PM
I like my boiled eggs in the morning*.
In Sydney, I had gas cooking and after a few years, got the timing down pat. (put the eggs in cold water, put pan on high heat and boil for 3 minutes and 30 seconds).

Now I have electric cooking and I'm still trying to find the right timing. Any wizardry that helps is worth a try.

*Yolks have to be soft and whites not runny.

tea lady
11th March 2012, 07:27 PM
Cooking eggs is an art! :p Like cooking rice! Although I did buy a rice cooker some time ago! hmm: :maybe an egg poacher would be good. :think:

Bushmiller
7th April 2012, 10:15 AM
I agree, eggs should be cooked to your liking.

You might like to consider coddled eggs. We had two egg coddlers and before last Xmas I made a concerted effort to track down a few more off the net. Royal Worcester I think were the only fine china manuacturer to produce coddlers but of course many other versions are available.

They are best cooked with a variety of herbs and spices to your taste. I like the yokes soft.

This is the collection for those unfamiliar. The two large coddlers will hold two eggs.

Regards
Paul

wheelinround
7th April 2012, 10:19 AM
Poached done in the microwave :2tsup:

Ticky
8th May 2012, 02:52 AM
Cooking eggs is an art! :p Like cooking rice! Although I did buy a rice cooker some time ago! hmm: :maybe an egg poacher would be good. :think:

I have been cooking eggs in a sunbeam Sandwich Maker for about 15 years.

Get it hot
little spray of oil
push the toaster down
drop the eggs in the Sunbeam
when the toast comes up, butter it & get those eggs out.

Done

Rice is easy too.

Boil the kettle
put the rice in a plastic bowl
little drop of oil & some salt
cover with boiling water, at lease an inch or 2 but don't be fussy
Microwave on high for 15 mins
rinse in a colander under hot water.

Perfect every time.

Steve

rhancock
8th May 2012, 10:41 PM
99% of cooking eggs is in the eggs, not the gadget - fresh eggs for poached and fried, when the whites are still solid. Old (ie supermarket) eggs for boiled so they peel easily. Genuine free range eggs for scrambled so they're golden, from the greenery and protein (bugs) they eat.

Delia Smith (http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/eggs/?page=2) is a guru on this, although she recommends fresh eggs for boiling which I disagree with.

I conquered the poached egg recently - large pan of boiling water, stir until spinning rapidly, drop egg into the centre. - use the freshest eggs, collected that morning, and still warm from the hen.