PDA

View Full Version : quick change tool post

scratchbuilt
23rd February 2012, 09:46 AM
morning,
has anyone out there successfully fitted a quickchange toolpost to a colchester triumph mk1? indeed, has anyone got any hot tips on selecting and fitting new quickchange toolposts? all i can find are so-so chinese units, there must be something worthy of this old girl. cheers, nic
what's the catch with the CDCO gear? they're so cheap but look the part, any bad news stories using their stuff?

azzrock
23rd February 2012, 10:15 AM
hi nic
i recently fitted a salvaged qctp to my master round head. it was from a lathe going to scrap.
i had to bore the tool post out a fair bit which was a real pain because it was very hard. http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f65/184771d1318828415-todays-tools-gloat-img_0288.jpg. (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f65/184771d1318828415-todays-tools-gloat-img_0288.jpg)

Bryan
23rd February 2012, 01:39 PM
Last I looked CDCO only sold the piston type. Wedge type is generally considered better. I bought a CXA chinese wedge type from a US ebay seller and ten holders from CDCO. Both are underwhelming. The holders have generous tolerances on the dovetails. I had to put a shim behind the wedge on the post to get most of them to tighten up at all. If I were doing it again I would look out for a used Aloris on US ebay and make my own holders.

.RC.
23rd February 2012, 02:25 PM
I have bought my two Aloris clone holders from Quality Machine Tools in the US..... The quality of the tool post and holders was good except for the grub screws in the holders... They are softer then butter and I hade to replace the screws with new ones...

azzrock
23rd February 2012, 02:26 PM
do you have any pictures of your lathe

Michael G
23rd February 2012, 08:56 PM
I second Bryan's thoughts on a Secondhand Aloris from the US. Aloris will ship spares to Oz, so new screws/ nuts are not a problem.

Michael

Bryan
23rd February 2012, 09:24 PM
do you have any pictures of your lathe

Who are you asking Az?

azzrock
24th February 2012, 04:58 AM
i was asking scratchy . the colchester

scratchbuilt
25th February 2012, 09:56 AM
colchester pictures will come. i think i left my camera is at the bottom of the harbour last night. with my brain.

azzrock
27th February 2012, 01:20 AM
is your tax bill down there too?

scratchbuilt
27th February 2012, 09:47 AM
that'd be the one azz. anyhow, what of these aloris-compatible chinese-made tool posts? they seem affordable but i am suspect...

pipeclay
27th February 2012, 10:37 AM
If you feel that they would be suitable for your intended purpose,you would then have to either except them to use or purchase an original Aloris toolpost and holders.

There appear to be quite a few people on this forum that have this style of holder with mixed opoinions,some have the piston type and others the dovetail type.

Maybe if you ask the question how people find their particular style works would be beneficial in your decision making.

Do you at this stage know what size toolpost your will need.

scratchbuilt
27th February 2012, 04:25 PM
thanks pipeclay. i am set on the wedge type toolpost because it holds better than a piston type. as for sizing, CXA or CA sizes will suit my 7 1/2" centre height and my preference would be for the larger CA model. i'd still like to hear what people thought of the chinese made wedge types.

scratchbuilt
8th March 2012, 10:25 AM
there you go azz. she looks a bit grim but she's happy.

azzrock
8th March 2012, 10:39 AM
hi scratch. what so you think of the colchester? have you had it long?
aaron

scratchbuilt
9th March 2012, 04:52 PM
i love it azz, i've not veryfied it's accuracy to any great degree, but it churns out "utility" stuff quite happily. i doubt that it's especially accurate but it seems to be free from any excessive vibration. it cost me little and even less to run. however, i am biased. the machine and i were "born" same year, same town.
i actually set this up with some special tooling to turn hardwood for various contraptions, the rest of the time it helps me keep all my other old machines running.
i've found a slow leak from the main gear box, seems to be where the on/off spindle passes through the sump of said gearbox and out the back. apparently for no good reason.
i've had it for four of five years.
nic

azzrock
12th March 2012, 01:56 PM
mine is a little leaky as well. i think most pommy machines are. are your cross slide gibs easy to adjust. sent a pm regarding tool post.

Ueee
12th March 2012, 09:56 PM
mine is a little leaky as well. i think most pommy machines are. are your cross slide gibs easy to adjust. sent a pm regarding tool post.

I thought most British machines, cars etc were supplied with factory oil leeks.:)

My conrik's saddle is a copy of your machines, looks kinda funny to see it on another machine!

scratchbuilt
13th March 2012, 07:46 PM
the leaks are engineered to match the weather. that's precision. thanks for the heads up azz.