PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make wooden wheels?

vegemitegirl
26th February 2012, 11:28 PM
Just wondering if someone here does or can make wooden wheels, what I'm after is 4 that are at least 75mm diameter across and at least 30mm thick.

I actually want castors (I'm assuming that I can unscrew an existing cheap castor and replace the rubber wheel with the wooden one).

Or if you actually can turn them into castors for me let me know.

Anyway I'm after a rough quote at this stage.

tea lady
27th February 2012, 08:16 AM
I could probably do them. :think: What wood do you reckon? Come up next weekend and you can watch me turn them if you want! :U:cool: My price is a good wine! :D

vegemitegirl
27th February 2012, 08:37 AM
I'd say whatever you have lying around that isn't too soft would do the job, I'm gonna stain them anyway. Cupboard I wanna put them on is ash I think.

More than happy to come for a visit, sounds like fun. But are you sure a bottle of wine is compensation enough?

tea lady
27th February 2012, 10:31 AM
I'd say whatever you have lying around that isn't too soft would do the job, I'm gonna stain them anyway. Cupboard I wanna put them on is ash I think.

More than happy to come for a visit, sounds like fun. But are you sure a bottle of wine is compensation enough?Maybe another one to drink together! :D

I'll see what I have kicking round. Think I've got some oak. :hmm: Wonder which way the grain should go, :hmm:

vegemitegirl
27th February 2012, 11:54 AM
LOL sounds good.

hmmmmmmm I have no idea about grain, would one direction make it more stronger than the other ~scratches head~ the cabinet does have a bit of weight to it.

vk4
27th February 2012, 05:28 PM
Tea Lady,

If you have a band saw, choose your timber blank and saw into 3 equal sections then laminate at 60DEGREE offsets, and grain is no longer an issue,

Enjoy the wine, I like a good MOSCATEO, myself.

Jeff
vk4

vegemitegirl
27th February 2012, 05:40 PM
Don't mind a sweet muscat myself (or moscato for you fancy folks hehe), hmmmmm dinner is ready soon I might go raid the wine rack LOL

You'll have to tell me what your favourite poison is tea lady.

tea lady
27th February 2012, 06:00 PM
Don't mind a sweet muscat myself (or moscato for you fancy folks hehe), hmmmmm dinner is ready soon I might go raid the wine rack LOL

You'll have to tell me what your favourite poison is tea lady.moscato is pretty good! :2tsup: Muscat! :cool: Had some honey beer the other day which was pretty good! :U

Acco
27th February 2012, 09:52 PM
I've got some ply which has been laminated to about 40 or 50 mm thick which should be perfect for want you want, Anne-Maria knows where I live, so you're welcome to it if you want it. Should be enough there to do about a dozen wheels I reckon.

tea lady
28th February 2012, 05:31 PM
I've got some ply which has been laminated to about 40 or 50 mm thick which should be perfect for want you want, Anne-Maria knows where I live, so you're welcome to it if you want it. Should be enough there to do about a dozen wheels I reckon.Might be quicker just to glue together some ply off cuts at work! :U

rodent
29th February 2012, 12:29 AM
I did some split hubs in red gum for my trolly Ann ( split as in two pieces ) so i could get the rubber tire on . It was a solid rubber wheel .:oo: