PDA

View Full Version : MLA 5C Casting

bwal74
27th February 2012, 08:39 PM
Hi,

I've been looking at the MLA 5C Collet Chuck Casting. Wondering if anyone else has bought one? How did it go?
If I can make it and it works well, its not a bad price. Or if anyone has a alternate suggestion ie, complete 5C Collet Chuck and Backing plate from another supplier.

COLLET CHUCK (MLA-21)

COLLET CHUCK (MLA-21) (http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/MLA21.html)

Thanks Ben

morrisman
27th February 2012, 09:55 PM
Hi

His castings have a good reputation among the fraternity . Easy to machine and a even grain .

Looking at the MLA 5C shipping weight of 22 lbs . The flat rate USPS boxes have a 20lb limit :C you'd have to break it into two boxes . Could add up to be expensive as the USPS have just increased prices right across the board .

I bought his extended top slide casting ..it's :2tsup:

Mike

Dave J
28th February 2012, 12:11 AM
Hi Ben,
No idea on the castings, but I know CDCO sell a Chinese made one for $135 and can ship a back plate with it in a flat rate box from the US for $45.
If you had to pay for 2 flat rate boxes from the US for the castings you are getting up there in price. It really annoys me with things like this with the postage killing the deal. Sometimes I wish I lived in the US, but only for the cheap tools and machinery, LOL

Dave

bwal74
28th February 2012, 05:55 PM
Hi,

I read the fine print re postage, it would be two boxes. One large one about $50 and one small one about$12-13. I really like the idea of machining my own from the casting, but worried about my ability and machine (hercus 260).

I think I will make the spindle collet chuck from Model Engineers Workshop projects first then give the casting a go.

I really like the extended slide and milling attachment as well.

Cheers Ben