PDA

View Full Version : Its all your fault

beejay1
7th February 2005, 05:25 AM
Ive been having sneeky peeks at this section and getting warmed to the idea of Scrollsawing, something Ive never done before.
Anyway i saw one on Ebay a couple of days ago and was told today that id won the thing. Its a Delta 40-530, been used twice, tables a bit rusty, and its still got the manual all bagged up.
Im paying £29 for it and its in perfect working order so it looks like ive got a bargain, anyway its a cheap intro to the art and if im any good at it ican get a better machine if the need arises
Is it an OK machine and will i need to buy anything else. Also what are the best blades to buy for it.
Thanks in advance.
beejay1

Iain
7th February 2005, 08:20 AM
Anything Delta is generally OK, a bit of WD40 (or whatever you use, CRC etc) on an abrasive pad will remove the rust and give the table a good wax.
As for what blades to use, depends on what you are doing but have a look at www.mikesworkshop.com for his ideas on what blades for what.
I find that for general work (very general) a reverse skip tooth 5 or 7 does the job.
A good starting point anyway.

pedrofret
7th February 2005, 08:56 PM
Hello and wellcome,

that price of 29 pounds is good to start out. If you like the craft you can buy a better one later on. The problem is that you may not like the craft if you find it difficult or problematic due to using an old or deteriorated machine.

The best complement you can get is a drill press, particularly if you intend to do fretwork. With that tool, you can make hundreds of holes in minutes. And it can also be used for many other purposes. I have the one from Dremel, small, practical and effective.

The type of blade depends very much on the projects you will work.

Good luck. Pedro.

http://www.finescrollsaw.com

Sprog
9th February 2005, 07:43 PM
Its a Delta 40-530, been used twice, tables a bit rusty, and its still got the manual all bagged up.

its a cheap intro to the art and if im any good at it ican get a better machine if the need arises

Is it an OK machine and will i need to buy anything else. Also what are the best blades to buy for it.
Thanks in advance.
beejay1

The Delta 40-530 is an excellent machine, well made and it will do all you will want it to do. You will probably never need to buy different one. It takes plain end blades (pinless). Generally the thicker the timber the less TPI. Higher TPI gives a smoother cut but you have to feed slower.
TPI= Teeth Per Inch.
Fasten it down securely and you should not get any vibration.
I think you will enjoy using the Delta

beejay1
9th February 2005, 08:46 PM
Thanks for that sprog. Glad you mentioned the blades as i didnt know which type it took. I'm picking it up in a few days and looking forward to having a play with it. No idea where its going to live though.

This may seem a stupid question but is it best to sit or stand when using a scroll saw?
beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Barry_White
9th February 2005, 09:27 PM
BJ

This what you want. I built one and put locking casters on it so I can push it out of the way.

Sprog
9th February 2005, 10:07 PM
This may seem a stupid question but is it best to sit or stand when using a scroll saw?
beejay1

No such thing as a stupid question :D

I always sit down but whatever is comfortable for you.
The stand that Bazza shows is great. I have seen a similar arrangement but with the table top sloping forward for better visibility.

Where abouts in the UK are you?

beejay1
9th February 2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks you guys, most informative. Love the stand and will go with that with wheels on, hope you dont mind me copying.
Live in North Wales sprog not far from Chester but originally from edinburgh.
Thanks again for the help. will post my first attempts,eventually.
beejay1

erlyrisa
9th February 2005, 10:44 PM
There is a saying in the dirt bike riding community

Sit when you can Stand when you have too.
Same goes for trying to cut 45mm pine and its jumping up and down on the table - its better to stand.

Iain
10th February 2005, 08:12 AM
I use the same table as Barry and sit down on a bar stool.
What is a character building experience is when the blade grabs in the timber and the lot bangs up and dowmn opn the table, you get used to it after a while without the heart attack :D :D

beejay1
10th February 2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks Iain and heres me thinking scrollsawing was the blokes equivalent of needlework! I'll try to be prepared.
Incidentaly, im up in Edinburgh at the weekend for my sisters birthday in Winchburgh so I'll take some pics of the place on the Digital and post them on my new site for you. Any 25 year od nieces still there you want me to say hello to?
Beejay1

Sprog
10th February 2005, 01:14 PM
What is a character building experience is when the blade grabs in the timber and the lot bangs up and dowmn on the table,

You could always use the hold down, that is afterall what is for :D :D :D

Iain
10th February 2005, 01:17 PM
I used to but find that they are a PITA and mostly get in the way, I just put up with the occassional clatter.

oges
10th February 2005, 03:10 PM
My saw comes with a stand, and I use a swivel seat bar stool that I found at a garage sale once.