PDA

View Full Version : Boom Crane WIP

twoody65
29th February 2012, 11:46 AM
Here are a few pictures of my Boom Crane that I am working on right now. I got the plans from Toys and Joys. I was trying to find an easy way of making the tracks but after seeing another post about it the light bulb finally went off. I will post more pictures soon.

Ted

crowie
29th February 2012, 12:01 PM
G'Day & Welcome "Down Under" Ted,
That looks a great model and top effort to post WIP photos as your first post.
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgable blokes & ladies on the forum all too willing to assist.
Keep the photos & notes coming.
How long have you been doing the woodwork as this is a big project.
Anyways, Enjoy your woodwork.
Cheers, crowie

linesman
29th February 2012, 09:34 PM
Hi twoody 65 Great project to tackle. I completed my lattice boom crane a month ago. I made a simple jig to hold the track plates in position on the drill press & used brad point drill to drill the holes for the link pins. I also flipped the plates over in the jig & drilled half way through from each edge to counteract any cranky grain that would cause the drill spearing off at a angle. I've made a couple of projects with crawler tracks & found it pays to pick a soft wood with a nice straight grain for building tracks.

Barry

twoody65
1st March 2012, 09:28 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the encouragement. This is my first wood model and it has had its moments considering I don't have a bandsaw or a planer. So getting the parts just right has been a challenge. The tracks I did on my father-in-law's laser machine but I'm not real happy with them. So redoing them is a must and I would appreciate pictures of linesman jigs if you wouldn't mind sending them. I will post more pictures as I progress. Again thanks.

Ted

linesman
1st March 2012, 09:37 PM
Twoody65 I hope you can follow the jig photograph. I drill my peices before I cut the track links out on the band saw. I also make a few extra links incase of brake outs like the made up example shown in the photo.

Barry

twoody65
3rd March 2012, 07:17 PM
Linesman, thanks for the pictues of your jig. That helps alot to see how you made your tracks. I'm posting more pics of my crane. I have a lot of painting and clear kotes to get this thing finished. I am going to work on the tracks this weekend too so i hope to upload more pictures Monday or Tuesday. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Ted:)

crowie
4th March 2012, 08:52 AM
G'Day Ted,
Looking forward to more great WIP photos.
One of our very good toy/model makers Aussie has mentioned a couple of times to various blokes to do the "finishing" as you go; I think especially on the smaller fiddly parts.
Have a looks at Brets Scania Truck - bj383ss (http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/59854-bj383ss/).
Keep up the good work.
Cheers, crowie

linesman
4th March 2012, 03:17 PM
Hi Ted. I agree with crowie, finish as you go especially in those hard to get at places. That was one of the mistakes I made. Definitely finish the winch drums & pauls before you glue them down in position. Barry

defender
7th March 2012, 04:29 AM
Hi Ted. I agree with crowie, finish as you go especially in those hard to get at places. That was one of the mistakes I made. Definitely finish the winch drums & pauls before you glue them down in position. Barry

glue on finish product how strong is it ?

Steve

A Duke
7th March 2012, 09:49 AM
glue on finish product how strong is it ?

Steve
Does not hold at all.
Mask where the glue has to go with masking tape.
Another advantage is that squeeze out cleans up much easier on a finished surface.
Regards

twoody65
10th March 2012, 04:08 AM
Thanks for all of the advise. I will be finishing as I go as much as I can. I just dry fitted the things in the pictures so I could see how it will look.

bj383ss
10th March 2012, 09:52 AM
TWoody,

I just bought a 1/4" artist brush and the small can of poly and started painting away. I also used blue painters tape on all the areas that would be glued. I put 3 coats of gloss poly on every part sanding in between coats with 220. It worked out real well for me. Would have been impossible to finish after I glued everything together. It took almost 2 weeks to finish everything.

Bret