PDA

View Full Version : Hardy species for driveway edge

cedarc
1st March 2012, 06:03 AM
I am so glad I found this forum. My family and I have been living on a small rural block in southern QLD for a few years and I have often wished for a resource like this one. I will be doing a lot of reading on here.

Just wondering if anyone can suggest a hardy species for a driveway verge. Currently our driveway, which is about 170 metres long has very little growing along its edge other than grass and weeds. Due to the slope it is very hard to maintain this with anything but a brush cutter, so I am keen to plant something that will out compete the grass and weeds.

We average 1200mm per year or more however nearly all of this falls in summer so we have very dry periods throughout the year. I am seeking something that will meet the following requirements:

1. Will require little watering
2. Is at least moderately attractive
3. Will suppress weeds and grass
4. Will not need to be replaced in the short term
5. Can be purchased as tubes

Thanks in advance :U

rhancock
1st March 2012, 10:59 PM
I'd suggest talking to your local land care groups as they'll be able to tell you local natives which won't cause any problems and will survive with no love.

In Brisbane my first choice is lomandra longifolia, dianella, or similar.

Big_Easy
27th May 2012, 09:16 PM
I'd second the Lomandra Longifolia - can be bought in tubes easily (look out for community nurseries in your area) and are pretty much bombproof...will eventually get to about 60cms high with a diameter of about 80cms...and best of all you can then dig them up if you want, divide them and plant them again....they're marvelous!