PDA

View Full Version : New Piece

brendan stemp
5th March 2012, 08:01 PM
A recent piece I completed. I don't get much of a chance to do this sort of work so I do enjoy the opportunity when it comes around. This one was a piece I was asked to make for an anniversary present. I used a spectacular piece of fiddleback red gum that I was saving for a special project.

I tried something different with the lid. Usually I am cautious to use red gum for lids because they move too much; even dry timber. So with this one I laminated three pieces of 5mm red gum together in a similar way to 3 ply with grain going in opposing directions. This seems to have worked. Has anyone else tried this?

The finial is made from ancient red gum and was a delight to turn. Started (and finished) sanding at 600 grit. The black around the rim of the lid is UBeaut's black dye.

Comments or critiques welcomed.

mkypenturner
5th March 2012, 08:15 PM
stunning :2tsup: they will surely love that

John T
5th March 2012, 08:23 PM
A stunning piece, beautiful fiddle back redgum great design:2tsup::2tsup:
john

Mulgabill
5th March 2012, 08:32 PM
Oh!!:brava very nice Brendan. It still puzzles me how these are turned.

dai sensei
5th March 2012, 08:49 PM
Beautiful as usual Brendan :2tsup:

Is it for TurnFest? See you there.

mkypenturner
5th March 2012, 09:00 PM
hey brendan
is this turned the same way as a articule back in the woodworker ages ago ???

dr4g0nfly
5th March 2012, 10:18 PM
Brendon - a fantastic turning.

What are the dimensions please?

One day I'll have the courage to ruin a couple of dozen lumps of timber to discover I can't turn these!

powderpost
5th March 2012, 10:25 PM
Excellent piece as usual Brendon... :2tsup: You laminated the lid??? Is the beginning of a career change? :)
Jim

TTIT
5th March 2012, 10:52 PM
Awesome piece as always :2tsup: I've done a few of those MIL lids but hadn't considered laminating to overcome the problem - something to go in the idea bank :;

bookend
6th March 2012, 12:44 AM

hey brendan
is this turned the same way as a articule back in the woodworker ages ago ???

I'm with the guys above. I think these are stunning and would love to do something similar. Can you explain how these are done or can anyone refer me to a source that can explain it to a Sandgroper?

Ad de Crom
6th March 2012, 02:00 AM
The wow factor of this piece is very high, perfect finish, nice design, looks great.
Very well done Brendan.
Ad :2tsup:

L R P
6th March 2012, 08:53 AM
Hi Brendan
Absolutely fabulous
Lindsay :2tsup:

smiife
6th March 2012, 07:52 PM
hi brendan,
fantastic piece ,i am with all the other guys
and would also like to know HOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cheers smiife :2tsup:

Christos
6th March 2012, 08:26 PM
Interesting piece.

Tim the Timber Turner
7th March 2012, 10:05 AM
You laminated the lid??? Is the beginning of a career change? :)
Jim

Steady down a bit Jim.

Cutting up a perfectly good piece of wood into a zillion pieces then glueing it all back together is not for everyone.

To do this you need one or more of the following:

1: A special set of skills.
2: Too much time on your hands.
3: Dare I say it, a mental disorder.

Of course you fit into the first category:2tsup:

All in jest of course:D

Cheers

Tim:)

brendan stemp
8th March 2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks for all the generous comments. The lid is remaining stable; no warping and still a good fit. So I think the laminating idea is a good one. I was just worried a little about glue creep so, at the points where I cut through one layer to expose another I put a little groove.

Anyone going to Shepparton Wood SHow this weekend can see this piece in the flesh. I have a stand there so come say hello.

NeilS
9th March 2012, 10:18 AM
Yummy work, as usual, Brendan.

I don't want to know how to make one myself, I just want one from someone who does...:D

dai sensei
9th March 2012, 10:19 PM
...also like to know HOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm one of the lucky ones to have seen Brendan make one of these. Even whilst watching him, I was still confused, it is not until the end you see how it all comes together.

What amazed me the most was how he came up with the idea in the first place :? My hat goes off to him for his imagination and skill to bring it all together :cool:

phillywood
13th March 2012, 04:47 PM
I'm with the guys above. I think these are stunning and would love to do something similar. Can you explain how these are done or can anyone refer me to a source that can explain it to a Sandgroper?

hi brendan,
fantastic piece ,i am with all the other guys
and would also like to know HOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cheers smiife :2tsup:
Well, first off that is one beauty and you did it justice. And, I also like to know how until I go dizzy and I will no longer know the time of the day. Very nice and unusual design. :2tsup::o

thumb trimmer
13th March 2012, 08:17 PM
one word ... WOW

brendan stemp
13th March 2012, 08:46 PM
I wish I could easily explain the method but it is a bit involved and would take me too long to explain it. I have written two articles about the process; one appeared in Australian Wood Review and the other in the journal of the American Association of Woodturners. All is revealed in these articles. Or come to You Turn next year and I will explain it to you.

Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated.

mkypenturner
13th March 2012, 09:19 PM
I wish I could easily explain the method but it is a bit involved and would take me too long to explain it. I have written two articles about the process; one appeared in Australian Wood Review and the other in the journal of the American Association of Woodturners. All is revealed in these articles. Or come to You Turn next year and I will explain it to you.

Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated.
i thought it was in the woodworker , think i got that scanned to hard drive for quick reference , but it is still a huge job in creating such a piece