PDA

View Full Version : Oregon - altering the appearance

Douglas Fur
7th March 2012, 06:15 PM
Hi All,

Further to my last post regarding building with large oregon beams, I would be interested to know if any one has had any experience charing/burning timber for appearance purposes.

The previous person who owner built my current house (an old hippy guy) used some technique to char the surface of the exposed oregon beams in the ceiling? Although it may sound a bit weird, this has created a really interesting appearance of the timber. It really highlights the grain of the old growth oregon and offsets the colour of the oregon apart from the pine ceiling boards above the beams.

I think he may have possibly used a steel brush prior to heat treatment, helping to raise the growth rings from the softer material?

I am planning on experimenting with some small offcuts first, but does anybody have any knowledge on how this is done and what I would use to char the oregon with?

Thanks to those who responded to my last post.

wheelinround
7th March 2012, 06:30 PM
Going back to school days we used a blow torch one of those old kero ones. Over the years accidently more often than not an Oxy torch.

An LPG gas burner will work or butane torch keep a bucket of water hand with a damp cloth in it just in case. Flame just touching the wood unless you want dark toasted.

rustynail
7th March 2012, 07:00 PM
A very common look during the 70s. The timber is chared with a blow torch then cut back with a sanding disc, wire brush or flapper disc. The practicle side of it is that the scorching helps with gum bleed (often a problem with oregon.) If you are intending to purchase new oregon for your project it would be advisable to stipulate moisture content. Most of the oregon coming into the country is still pretty green.