PDA

View Full Version : Which plane to tweak the inside of a cabinet.

joez
8th March 2012, 12:39 PM
Hi All,

What would people suggest is the best plane to clean up the inside of a cabinet when fitting in drawers? I am talking about getting that last 1/2-1mm off to get a perfect fit.

I was thinking either one of these, as I'd be going across the grain I was leaning towards the LV skewed plane. The smaller size would save my knuckles as well...

Veritsa Skew Rabbet Plane:

Veritas® Skew Rabbet Plane - Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=59999&cat=1,41182,48945)

Lie-Nielsen Bench Rabbet Plane:

Lie-Nielsen Toolworks USA | Bench Rabbet Plane (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=10_25)

So can anyone tell me if there is a better option out there that I am totally missing?

joez

Scribbly Gum
8th March 2012, 12:53 PM
Hi joez,
I would probably be adjusting the drawer rather than the inside of the cabinet.
Any well set up smoothing plane can do that for you.
Plane the sides of the drawer, taking equal amounts from each side to keep it centred.
Cheers
SG

joez
8th March 2012, 02:10 PM
Hi joez,
I would probably be adjusting the drawer rather than the inside of the cabinet.
Any well set up smoothing plane can do that for you.
Plane the sides of the drawer, taking equal amounts from each side to keep it centred.
Cheers
SG

Hi SG

Yes I do that too, but before I touch the drawers I like to put a straight edge on the inside of the cabinet and take out any high spots and make sure the insides are as square as possible.

I've made the mistake in the past of taking too much off my drawers sides, when in fact all I had to do was to remove a high spot or two on the inside of my cabinet. Who knows It might just be my poor assembly skills lol.

joez

Scribbly Gum
8th March 2012, 02:17 PM
Hi SG

Yes I do that too, but before I touch the drawers I like to put a straight edge on the inside of the cabinet and take out any high spots and make sure the insides are as square as possible.

I've made the mistake in the past of taking too much off my drawers sides, when in fact all I had to do was to remove a high spot or two on the inside of my cabinet. Who knows It might just be my poor assembly skills lol.

joez
OK gotcha.
I haven't had to do it, but if it is just for a high spot or two then maybe a low angle block plane would be fine.
It's going to be awkward if the back is on to clean up inside the cabinet, so probably best to get it attended to beforehand.
Cheers
SG

derekcohen
8th March 2012, 03:39 PM
If you have to remove wood from inside the cabinet - and it does happen - then you need a rabbet-type plane to get into the edges.

Veritas skew block plane
LN rabbet block plane
Stanley/LN #10 or #10 1/2 bench plane
Sandpaper glued to a block of wood
Wide shoulder plane.

Regards from Perth

Derek

homesy135
9th March 2012, 12:47 AM
I went for the LN rabbet block plane to do just that. It is small enough to get between the drawer runners.

Having said that, on the next set of drawers I made, I made sure the runners were flush with the rails before fixing them inside the frame/box.