PDA

View Full Version : Round Carbide Cutters

Pages : [1] 2

WOODbTURNER
8th March 2012, 10:59 PM
Thought some members might be interested in this Canadian site www.knotsburls.com
They have round cutters for CDN $9/$10

Paul39
9th March 2012, 04:53 AM
I did a little search and found this:

Round carbide inserts - popular sources? - rec.crafts.woodturning | Google Groups (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.woodturning/browse_thread/thread/4f13a3b480bc8f43?pli=1)

WOODbTURNER
9th March 2012, 10:40 AM
Paul,

I was referring to the flat surface round cutters not the cupped ones mentioned in your comment (Hunter type)

TTIT
9th March 2012, 09:54 PM
Thought some members might be interested in this Canadian site www.knotsburls.com (http://www.knotsburls.com)
They have round cutters for CDN $9/$10I'm up for a few - anyone else want to share the postage??? - unless he doesn't sell them without buying a shaft first like some other dodgie dealers!!!

Big Shed
9th March 2012, 09:57 PM
Are they any different from these?

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260972192568?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

TTIT
10th March 2012, 09:27 AM
Are they any different from these?

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260972192568?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)yup! Those cutters are thicker and sharpened differently for cutting steel :C

kcam
10th March 2012, 11:48 AM
yup! Those cutters are thicker and sharpened differently for cutting steel :C
Wont they still work on wood? At that price they may be worth a try....Kerry

TTIT
10th March 2012, 07:58 PM
Wont they still work on wood? At that price they may be worth a try....KerryI have tried similar cutters and while they did allow me to work with the very hardest of timbers like Inland Rosewood and Quinine, they are so blunt they leave a terrible finish - eg: massive tear out :C
I tried sharpening them with a diamond stone but with that bevel angle I just couldn't get a workable edge on them. There's a few of us on the forum that have been chasing these for quite a while and most of the other cutters just don't work right but the ones WoodB found are cool!

steck
11th March 2012, 09:47 AM
I'm up for a few - anyone else want to share the postage??? - unless he doesn't sell them without buying a shaft first like some other dodgie dealers!!!
Hi TTIT,
I'd be interested to buy 3 of the 16mm round cutters.

letzzzgo
11th March 2012, 11:04 AM
Please put me down for 3 of the 16mm diameter as well.

Cheers,
John

hughie
11th March 2012, 11:02 PM
[I'm up for a few - anyone else want to share the postage??? - unless he doesn't sell them without buying a shaft first like some other dodgie dealers

Include me in it Vern for the smaller cutter, say 1/2 a dozen or so.

I tried sharpening them with a diamond stone but with that bevel angle I just couldn't get a workable edge on them. There's a few of us on the forum that have been chasing these for quite a while and most of the other cutters just don't work right but the ones WoodB found are cool!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Yeah it can be done but you need something around 600grit and diamond based as well. A bit pricey compared to $9CDN or $8.50AUD tungsten cutters

Paul39
12th March 2012, 05:27 AM
I was in my local den of iniquity yesterday and bought a used Easy Finisher.

Easy Wood Tools - Woodturning Made Easy - Carbide Woodturning Technology - Never sharpen again! : Ci0 Easy Finisher (http://www.easywoodtools.com/ci0.php)

I will be curious as to how well the Kilian cutters work.

Do any of you use an Easy Finisher? I am curious to see if the Killian cutters fit on the Easy.

The Kilian tools look to be a much better value than the Easy Tools. I doubt the pretty red handle on the Easy Finisher makes it cut any better.

TTIT
12th March 2012, 10:09 AM
.................. I will be curious as to how well the Kilian cutters work.

Do any of you use an Easy Finisher? I am curious to see if the Killian cutters fit on the Easy.

The Kilian tools look to be a much better value than the Easy Tools. I doubt the pretty red handle on the Easy Finisher makes it cut any better.I suspect Mr Kilian discovered the same supplier of the cutters as Mr Easytools so they should cut exactly the same way and are at least at reasonable pricing through him. Ask Cliff how good the pretty red handles are - he broke his first time he used it!!! :C

Paul39
12th March 2012, 12:39 PM
I suspect Mr Kilian discovered the same supplier of the cutters as Mr Easytools so they should cut exactly the same way and are at least at reasonable pricing through him. Ask Cliff how good the pretty red handles are - he broke his first time he used it!!! :C

I used the big red easy today to hollow a bowl. It sure removes a bunch of timber fast. I got too deep on an interrupted cut, had a catch and the lathe spit the bowl out. Had a fair amount of screaming belt when I got too enthusiastic about hogging out wood.

I was using my little 350mm swing lathe. I'll be curious to see how it works reaching out all the way on the 500mm swing Woodfast.

I hope Cliff had a lemon and it was replaced.

I tried sharpening them with a diamond stone but with that bevel angle I just couldn't get a workable edge on them. There's a few of us on the forum that have been chasing these for quite a while and most of the other cutters just don't work right but the ones WoodB found are cool!

I'm always trying to "beat the system". In due course I will order some round cutters from Enco or ebay and try rubbing the top face on a diamond pad to see if that will get them sharper.

A guy on another turning site put the round cutter on a 1/8 inch screw, chucked it in a Dremel tool and held that to a diamond pad. He didn't say how well it worked.

I have some dry locust wood which is hard and full of silica. It dulls HSS tools quickly. I'm curious to see how well the carbide will hold up to that.

dai sensei
12th March 2012, 10:50 PM
I have a heap of the Ci easywood tools but I make my own handles. I think they are great and certainly can handle any of the hardwoods we have here in Aus.

Cliff Rogers
12th March 2012, 10:59 PM
....I hope Cliff had a lemon and it was replaced.....
Mine was a freeby for doing a review of the tool.
I made my own replacement handle out of OZ timber.

Paul39
13th March 2012, 03:51 AM
Mine was a freeby for doing a review of the tool.
I made my own replacement handle out of OZ timber.

One can't complain much about a free tool.

Where might I find your review? Not that it matters too much now that I have the tool. My only complaint would be the cost, even my used price was more than I have ever spent for a new turning tool - Crown 1/2 (5/8 diameter) inch bowl gouge.

steck
13th March 2012, 07:23 AM
I have a Ci1 which I use for roughing out bowls and it works a treat. I have to be a bit careful about taking two big a bite. I made my own handle for it.
I also have a Ci0 Finisher which I find very good for smoothing inside bowls and vases. With a light touch it cuts very cleanly indeed but I prefer the feeling of using a traditional (proper?) bowl gouge for the finishing cuts.
I made a large spotted gum bowl and using HSS gouges I was having to sharpen about every 30 seconds. The carbide tools were a life saver in that regard!

Old Croc
13th March 2012, 07:52 AM
Hey Vern, put me down for 2 of the 16mm round ones as well,:2tsup:
Crocy.

Acco
13th March 2012, 09:16 AM
Where might I find your review?

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/ci1-easy-rougher-review-cliff-79769/

Cliff Rogers
13th March 2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks DJ, saved me having to look for it.

There was a review of the tips in an earlier thread, I should find that one too.

Cliff Rogers
13th March 2012, 10:25 AM
Try this one for further info.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/new-tool-74229/

Cliff Rogers
13th March 2012, 10:28 AM
This was my first review of the tips.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/tassie-oak-burl-platter-75119/#post764678

Cliff Rogers
13th March 2012, 10:31 AM
More discussion on TCT Tips here.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/tct-inserts-81452/

WOODbTURNER
13th March 2012, 10:43 AM
I'm up for a few - anyone else want to share the postage??? - unless he doesn't sell them without buying a shaft first like some other dodgie dealers!!!

TITT,
If you are going to buy these cutters you might think to buy the screws off Don as well for Can$1.00 each. At least they will be the right fit.

Paul39
13th March 2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks all for the references. There sure has been a lot of discussion of carbide tips.

I had a piece of maple crotch on the lathe. When I got home with the Easy Finisher I had a go. Hmm, tear out in the crazy grain. Turned the tip to a fresh surface, same.

Tried my homemade mystery metal Bedan looking tool, same as the Easy. Tried my bigger Bedan looking tool made from a 5/8 inch square file, same as the Easy.

Tried my recently purchased, used, Bodger brand Chinese HSS 1/2 inch bowl gouge, much less tear out.

Same conclusion as the rest of you, a scraper is a scraper.

I did find the Easy had less tear out on a harder timber. It quite nicely cleaned out the inside of a walnut vase in the shape of a ball with an opening in the top.

I liked the way I could start at the center bottom and bring it up the inside and under cut the opening in one long stroke.

Cliff Rogers
13th March 2012, 01:33 PM
Same conclusion as the rest of you, a scraper is a scraper.
Yup.

...I did find the Easy had less tear out on a harder timber.....
Some western Queensland timber actually scraps cleaner than it cuts.
Gidgee is an example.

Paul39
14th March 2012, 04:34 AM
Just to stir the pot a bit:

[Carbide Drills End Mills Reamers] - [PCD CBN Wheel Tool Holder] (http://www.carbideanddiamondtooling.com/)

I expect to try one or more of their round inserts in due course.

Old Croc
14th March 2012, 08:05 AM
Yup.

Some western Queensland timber actually scraps cleaner than it cuts.
Gidgee is an example.

Paul, as Cliff said some of our Aussie timbers do turn better with the TC tips. I use a lot of Qld Wallnut and the only way it can be turned is with a TC tip. It is much harder than American Wallnut and has the highest load of silica of all the timbers I have tried to turn. I found the easy rougher I borrowed of Cliff did the job until the final cuts and then used my old Glasser Hi Tech 3/8inch bowl gouge with many resharpens to finish. HSS will not make one pass accross a 14 inch/350mm bowl before it stopps cutting. I bought some tips from the Shellix agent and made my own tool.
Also, someone wrote earlier about resharpening metal cutting TC tips. I have tried to do this for my metal lathe, but they dont work, as they have a coating on them when new and when you wear through that the substrate does not hold its edge.
regards,
Crocy.

NeilS
16th March 2012, 09:50 PM
Vern - put me down for 6 of the 16mm.

+ 2 screws, in case they are a better fit than the ones I have.

Many thanks

TTIT
16th March 2012, 10:43 PM
Looks like a rough count of about 20 cutters wanted and I haven't had a chance to do anything about it yet. I'm thinking I might just buy 20 or so and then sell them at cost + postage to whoever wants them rather than chase up people all over the place to put an order together - just don't have the time. I'll drop Mr Kilian a line and see what can be done.

steck
17th March 2012, 06:03 AM
TITT,
If you are going to buy these cutters you might think to buy the screws off Don as well for Can$1.00 each. At least they will be the right fit.
I think screws are a good idea too.

If this goes ahead, I'll add 3 screws to my order.

hughie
17th March 2012, 08:43 AM
Looks like a rough count of about 20 cutters wanted and I haven't had a chance to do anything about it yet. I'm thinking I might just buy 20 or so and then sell them at cost + postage to whoever wants them rather than chase up people all over the place to put an order together - just don't have the time. I'll drop Mr Kilian a line and see what can be done

Yeah keep it simple Vern. When you drop him a line asking him what sort of screws he supplies ie size, csk, or whatever as they maybe available here at a better rate. As it is they will most likely be imperial.

NeilS
17th March 2012, 09:54 AM
..... I'm thinking I might just buy 20 or so .

If there is any discount in buying them in dozen packs you can bump my order up to 10 to take total order to 24.

letzzzgo
17th March 2012, 05:58 PM
Vern, please change my order to: (2) 16mm diameter cutters + (2) screws.

Regards, John

Paul39
21st March 2012, 01:27 PM
I have been digging for information on carbide bits and found some that may let people in AU go to an engineering supply and get what will work on wood.

Insert Designation Chart - provides ANSI and ISO designation code definitions for carbide insert shapes, relief angles, tolerances, chipbreaker codes, hole types, size values, thickness values, radius values, wiper lead angle, wiper clearance angle, (http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm#size)

Using the above chart to find a round insert for my Easy Finisher, I deduce I need:

Shape - R
Relief Angle - G
Tolerance - M or U
Hole / Chipbreaker - B (no chipbreaker)
Size - 5
Thickness - ? (have to measure)
Radius - V (flat)
Cutting Edge Preparation - F or E (sharp or honed)

I would want no coating, and micrograin carbide

This gets close, but has a radius on the cutting edge and a 15 degree relief angle:

Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies (http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=328-5813&PMPXNO=25226887)

I bought a flat 600 grit diamond paddle. When I get my Easy cutter dull all the way around I'll try honing the top to see if I get it sharp. I may even take a close closeup photo of the edge before and after and post here.

Carbide Grades: Carbide Grades (http://www.carbidemetal.com/grades.htm)

NeilS
21st March 2012, 04:07 PM

I have noticed most carbides intended for woodworking applications are C2 grade.

WOODbTURNER
21st March 2012, 04:31 PM
I bought a flat 600 grit diamond paddle. When I get my Easy cutter dull all the way around I'll try honing the top to see if I get it sharp. I may even take a close closeup photo of the edge before and after and post here.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I touched up one of my Easy Wood round cutter's face with a fine diamond paddle and CRC and it came up nice and sharp. I used CRC only because the paddle was already covered in it.
Off to Turnfest tomorrow. Will be interesting with 600+ woodies and partners

hughie
21st March 2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks Paul, most cutters tend to have a special sized csk head. But I have found a convential Allen counter sunk head screw can be easily modified to fit the proprietry angle. Generally they are around 3 or 4mm and readily available via any engineering supply place.

:2tsup:

WOODbTURNER. The idea with the diamond file as its 600 is to keep the cutter real sharp by regular touch ups. Otherwise you may have to go for a very coarse one to get some where near the 600 final polish. I have found the coarse are much dearer than the fine grade, in fact 2-3 times the price.

Old Croc
27th March 2012, 08:02 AM
[QUOTE=Paul39;1462213]I have been digging for information on carbide bits and found some that may let people in AU go to an engineering supply and get what will work on wood.

Paul, this is Australia!!!!!! Most engineering supply shops barely keep a variety of metal cutting inserts, let alone wood cutting ones, it is much easier to get them sent from the USA. Its all about numbers, more people in NYC than all of AUS,
regards,
Crocy.

TTIT
27th March 2012, 11:04 PM
That's a long enough wait to see if there are anymore interested in buying some cutters ( :B translates to - "I finally got around to emailing Don!")
Will let you know what happens when it does :U

WOODbTURNER
31st March 2012, 02:48 PM
TITT,

There is a bloke selling the round cutters on Ebay under carbide woodturning tools item no. 300684975296. Check it out

TTIT
31st March 2012, 10:36 PM
TITT,

There is a bloke selling the round cutters on Ebay under carbide woodturning tools item no. 300684975296. Check it outMore expensive than Don though :no: . I'm no haggler so I didn't manage a discount - will probably put the order in tomorrow. Will Let everyone know on this thread when they turn up.

WOODbTURNER
31st March 2012, 10:57 PM
This bloke also includes screws with his price though

TTIT
1st April 2012, 10:22 AM
This bloke also includes screws with his price thoughStill dearer - the screws are only 25c from Don :2tsup:

rsser
1st April 2012, 12:48 PM
FWIW it seems to me that comparing EWT Rougher and Finisher bits that the latter have had their bevel polished (ie. honed). Comparing them with a polished top on a conventional scraper on blackwood, the results were about the same. In other words, remarkably good.

Can't speak about the quality of 3rd party discs.

Put me down for a 16mm bit Vern if you would and I'll do a comparo.

jefferson
1st April 2012, 01:07 PM
Why not just re-sharpen the round bits on the black Tormek wheel and extend the life of existing cutters? It works a treat.

rsser
1st April 2012, 01:49 PM
Tormek T7 c. $870. Black wheel c. $350.

Replacement EWT disc: USD 17.

The Tormek would want to work a treat!

jefferson
1st April 2012, 05:59 PM
Tormek - old green vintage bought 12+ years ago for around $600 with all the jigs - cost $600.

Amortized over life = $50 per year. Machine still going.

Black wheel bought at around $350 and still 90%+ life left in it.

So far has sharpened at least 20 round cutters, plus square ones as well. Return = $340 minimum. Not to mention planer blades, bowl gouges etc etc.

rsser
1st April 2012, 06:13 PM
LensRentals.com - Hammerforum.com (http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/hammerforum-com)

steck
1st April 2012, 06:19 PM
Ern,
I loved the LInk!:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

rsser
1st April 2012, 07:25 PM
Jeff, if you research the business of honing TC tools (not just shaping bevels) an abrasive of <15 microns is needed. The TCT scraper fraternity on the metalwork forum here are using among other methods diamond paste on jeweller laps.

The Tormek black wheel doesn't come close.

Tim the Timber Turner
1st April 2012, 08:37 PM
Hang on Jeff

You have 2 TMs

Wouldn't you have to factor in the total costs of both units to arrive at a true costing??

Cheers Tim:)

jefferson
1st April 2012, 09:35 PM
Jeff, if you research the business of honing TC tools (not just shaping bevels) an abrasive of <15 microns is needed. The TCT scraper fraternity on the metalwork forum here are using among other methods diamond paste on jeweller laps.

The Tormek black wheel doesn't come close.

Hang on Jeff

You have 2 TMs

Wouldn't you have to factor in the total costs of both units to arrive at a true costing??

Cheers Tim:)

Tim,

I won't even bother replying to Ern's earlier post. I do have two Tormeks, one that has hardly seen only recent use.

Fact is, only the black Tormek wheel will sharpen not hone the TC cutters. End of story. That wheel alone does my TS sharpening.

Why is it that you and others are so anti-Tormek? I wonder.

What jigs are you using, if any?

How much steel are you wasting?

This is an old thread re-visiting. Enough damage done.

Tim the Timber Turner
1st April 2012, 10:19 PM
Tim,

Why is it that you and others are so anti-Tormek? I wonder.

Jeff

I'm not anti-Tormec:no:

I tried one and it didn't really work for me.:no:

I believe this is how we learn, try something and if you like it you use it.

If you don't like it, you discard it for something else.:2tsup:

I think this is true for both equipment and methods of using that equipment.

If the Tormek works for you, all power to you.:2tsup:

Jeff mate, I suspect you get heaps of flack about your Tormek's because of 2things which I think are both related.

1: You bite really hard when prompted.

2: You seem to be intolerant of anyone who holds a different opinion to you.
I might add your not alone in this.

Jeff mate, lighten up a bit.:U

It's only woodturning.

It's not a life and death issue.:no:

Please take this post as a friendly opinion.

It is not meant as a personal attack.

Cheers

Tim:U

Paul39
2nd April 2012, 09:28 AM
Somewhere above I mentioned I bought an Easy Finisher with the 16mm round bit. On the way to visit my daughter and family I pass through Hickory, NC holding the main store of Klingspors, one of my favorite dens of iniquity. ( Powermatic, Oneway Tormek, Sorby, Crown, etc. all on display.)

I thought to buy another bit but at $16.95 had sticker shock, and settled for some Easy literature. I did buy a few small things, some on sale sandpaper, and an 600 grit diamond paddle for $9.95.

After reading the literature, which recommended buying a second bit to use just for final finishing, on the way back I bought another bit.

I had a piece of red oak crotch, dry as a bone, hard as concrete, with two centers running through. I had a go with my mystery metal Bedan Shaped tool which dulled in about 15 seconds, then had a go with the Crown HSS bowl gouge which lasted much longer, then went to the Easy Finisher as a rougher and hollower.

I hollowed almost to the bottom and was getting some tear out in the crazy grain.

I left the tip on the tool and gave it a few swipes with the 600 grit diamond paddle. That did put some scratches on the smooth top of the bit.

When I went back to cutting the crazy grain, it cut with much less pressure and made nice long thin shavings, very close to the almost new bit.

I have some dry locust - very abrasive - and will do a comparison of my hand sharpened bit to the new-in-package one I bought.

I have honed the top several times just before making a last light cut before sanding. Each time it has significantly improved the surface finish of the timber.

It is still a scraper, and works best on very hard wood. I think an 800 or 1200 grit diamond paddle used more often might improve the final finishing cuts just a bit more.

hughie
2nd April 2012, 09:42 AM
[
Why not just re-sharpen the round bits on the black Tormek wheel and extend the life of existing cutters? It works a treat

These are if I am not mistaken Tungsten carbide and would require a special grinding wheel. Do Tormek sell them? If they do it would be a special and given their prices...:o you could probably buy 40-50 cutters. These cutters are designed as a throw away anyway.

If when sharpening TCT cutters you dont have the fine grit ie around 600, the edge will be rough as the TCT has a large grain structure as compared to HSS. This is the down side of TCT but is counter balanced by its toughness and wear resistance something HSS cant keep up with.
The finer grained TCT is certainly coming close, but its still ideal here to give to the very fine hone of 600grit. I dare say you can sharpen these cutters on the standard Tormek. But I suspect it will require several trips often back to touch it up as the edge may not last like the original. Also take great care when sharpening TCT as it has the propensity to prematurely wear the wheel.

jefferson
2nd April 2012, 11:51 AM
[

These are if I am not mistaken Tungsten carbide and would require a special grinding wheel. Do Tormek sell them? If they do it would be a special and given their prices...:o you could probably buy 40-50 cutters. These cutters are designed as a throw away anyway.

Your maths are way out, Hughie. You can buy a black silicon wheel from the Tormek shop for $375, a little more at CWS.

If Ern's figures are correct, the cutters are $17US a piece. That's $850 for 50.

I could add more but the above puts things in perspective.

WOODbTURNER
2nd April 2012, 03:48 PM
us$17 = au$16.35. 50 x 16.35=au$817.50. If you buy the Canadian Killian cutter @ cad$10=au$9.65 x 50=au$482.50.
I'd like to time an average turner using up 50 round cutters.

Mulgabill
2nd April 2012, 04:14 PM
Great site Ern! :2tsup: There is a lot of truth in that exchange.:D Snobbery?????

hughie
2nd April 2012, 11:45 PM
[ You can buy a black silicon wheel from the Tormek shop for $375,

Probably right as I have not bought much of late along these lines.

The point is that the cutters are throw aways and ideal edge is produce via a fine grit. Slow or fast is really not the issue but rather the finish or quality egde. For those who wish to keep the edge a diamond file will do the job just fine.

you might be better off with the green wheel... see links below re usage

Australian Industrial Abrasives :: Anchor grinding wheels (http://www.australianabrasives.com/anchor.htm)
Black & Green Silicon Carbide (http://www.georgiagrindingwheel.com/Commerce/catalog/category_77_Black__Green_Silicon_Carbide.html)

....as the black silicon carbide is suitable for the grinding of cast and grey irons, non ferrous metals and non metallic materials such as stone, marble, glass and rubber and can be used with or with out coolant.

Whereas the Green silicon carbide of high purity, is used for the grinding of tungsten carbide, titanium and plasma sprayed metals.
... and in my experience is used dry and are not used on slow rpm grinders

Price wise its a better deal as well.
https://www.bolt.com.au/straight-silicon-carbide-green-c-842_995_996_998.html

But as you say its a matter of perspective. If you wish to use a Tormek, fine no problems. I am suggesting it can be done for less and probably better.

NeilS
3rd April 2012, 12:00 AM
great site ern! :2tsup: There is a lot of truth in that exchange.:d

+1

NeilS
3rd April 2012, 12:18 AM
It's only woodturning.

That would make a good sig line...:think:

Paul39
3rd April 2012, 02:05 AM
Made for wood, look down the page for more:

H9893 Indexable Carbide Insert - 15 x 15 x 2.5mm, 10 Pack (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Indexable-Carbide-Insert-15-x-15-x-2-5mm-10-Pack/H9893)

With the usual problem of maybe not available in AU.

As to the round ones, the best deal I have seen so far is the Kilian from Canada. I have found some on carbide sellers web sites that fit the specifications for more $ than the Kilian.

TTIT
3rd April 2012, 11:00 PM
Placed the order with Don today - will be a couple of weeks as he's waiting on a shipment of the cutters. I'll post again on this thread when they arrive :2tsup:

steck
4th April 2012, 07:44 AM
Placed the order with Don today - will be a couple of weeks as he's waiting on a shipment of the cutters. I'll post again on this thread when they arrive :2tsup:
THANK YOU! :2tsup::2tsup:

And very off topic --- I have just been looking through your egg collection and it has grown a lot since I last looked. I love it! I also love your egg chuck!

aussiepens
4th April 2012, 10:20 PM
Last year I bought some carbide cutters together with a friend from Carbide Depot in the US Carbide Depot Carbide Inserts and Cutting Tools (http://www.carbidedepot.com/)

They are great. Have negative rake and a cup or recess in the top and not flat as some others are.

See these details for cutters, torx screws to suit and torx drivers.

Postage from US was $50

John

NeilS
18th April 2012, 12:09 PM
Too late for this batch order, just, but received the following email from my carbide tip source the day after Vern put in our order. They are a fraction more per item than those from Knots and Burls but that price includes a matching screw and his shipping costs are more competitive. They also appear to have a mirror finish on the top surface which should produce a finer finishing cut, which may or may not be better than those from K&B. I might order a few to compare with the ones I have coming from Knots and Burls and will report my findings if I do.

Round Carbide Insert

Now Available on eBay
http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs079/1102875308808/img/24.jpg

First let me thank you for your business. I hope the inserts you have
purchased are working well. Many of you have asked about a round cutter. I have recently listed one on eBay that will fit the Easy Wood CiO tool and other larger tools using the carbide insert solution.

My plan is to always keep a supply of these available. They do however, have a manufacturing process time of 6-8 weeks and are made special to my requirements. So in the future if you don't see them on eBay check back in a few weeks. You can always contact me at [email protected] for an update and any questions.

Click the link below (blue) to go to the eBay listing. Plus, from there you can see my other listing for square and radius cutters.

Happy turning!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/<wbr>300684975296?ssPageName=STRK:<wbr>MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.<wbr>l2649#ht_867wt_1159 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/300684975296?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_867wt_1159)

WOODbTURNER
18th April 2012, 12:31 PM
TITT,

There is a bloke selling the round cutters on Ebay under carbide woodturning tools item no. 300684975296. Check it out

Neil,

This is the same bloke you are talking about.
The Killian (Knots and Burls) round cutter l got look exactly the same as the CiO ones I have. I also purchased the smaller Killian square and round cutters and found that they really hog out harder wood like northern bloodwood with ease.

hughie
18th April 2012, 06:06 PM
The scews might be a problem as they a special attachment thread much like the old BA threads. Most guys will not have heard about these attachment series let alone have a tap.

They are normally used in instrumentation [ USA gear ] and other small screw attaching requirements. Not really run of the mill stuff, in Sydney theres probably a only a handful of engineeers supplies who might handle the taps etc and Blackwoods wouldnt be one.

Tap Chart UNC/UNF Threads - provides tap sizes, drill sizes, pitch, (threads per inch) basic major diameter, basic effective diameter, basic minor diameter of external threads, and basic minor diameter of internal threads for UNC/UNF threads (http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-tap-standard.htm)

dai sensei
18th April 2012, 06:47 PM
I know for the Ci tools the thread is not the problem, it is a 4x40 thread screw readily available (I bought 100 SS for $13), just it isn't the standard contersink taper head on them.

NeilS
19th April 2012, 02:36 PM
Apologies WoodBturner for not picking up that you had already posted that link.

WOODbTURNER
19th April 2012, 02:47 PM
No apologies needed Neil

NeilS
30th April 2012, 09:07 AM
The eBay seller ( [email protected] ) who is another source of TC cutters, referred to above, now has a handle-bar-cutter combo on offer. Full details here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Round-Carbide-Wood-lathe-Tool-Bennett-Handle-15mm-Round-carbide-insert-/180856374981?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D290704049229%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8070787015446158154).

Combo includes

16" BENNETT HANDLE--Aluminum 1" shaft with cushioned grip, 2 Allen set screws to securely hold tool

BENNETT ROUND INSERT TOOL HOLDER--Anodized steel OA length 8" with 1/2" dia. X 2" flanged tang.

ROUND CARBIDE INSERT--15mm DIA X 2.5mm Round Carbide Insert, FH Allen cap screw inc.
ALLEN WRENCH--fits cap and set screws

No affiliation with this seller, haven't even used the tool, just passing on this info in case it is useful for someone.

WOODbTURNER
30th April 2012, 11:53 AM
Neil,
Note that these cutters are 15mm dia and that the Killians and Ci0 ones are 16mm dia if I read correct.

Paul39
30th April 2012, 12:06 PM
The eBay seller ( [email protected] ) who is another source of TC cutters, referred to above, now has a handle-bar-cutter combo on offer. Full details here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Round-Carbide-Wood-lathe-Tool-Bennett-Handle-15mm-Round-carbide-insert-/180856374981?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D290704049229%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8070787015446158154).

Found this: TheWoodworkersNetwork.com - More Woodturning Review - (http://www.thewoodworkersnetwork.com/morereview.php)

TheWoodworkersNetwork.com - Home - (http://www.thewoodworkersnetwork.com/)

wwn5407 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/sch/wwn5407/m.html?_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D290704049229%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8070787015446158154&item=180856374981&_trksid=p4340.m263&_trksid=p4340.l2562)

I like the 24 inch padded aluminum handle.

NeilS
1st May 2012, 12:16 AM
Thanks for those references, Paul.

NeilS
3rd May 2012, 07:41 PM
The round carbide tips from the above eBay seller arrived a few days ago. Nice mirror finish on top face. Will wait for the Killian ones to arrive and will then sort out the screw/thread issue. Hoping to be able to use the same bar and screw for both.

TTIT - any news on dispatch of the Killian tips?

TTIT
3rd May 2012, 10:37 PM
The round carbide tips from the above eBay seller arrived a few days ago. Nice mirror finish on top face. Will wait for the Killian ones to arrive and will then sort out the screw/thread issue. Hoping to be able to use the same bar and screw for both.

TTIT - any news on dispatch of the Killian tips?On their way - should be here any day now - maybe even tomorrow so I can play on the long weekend :yippy:

TTIT
4th May 2012, 11:00 PM
Cutters have arrived :2tsup: Could those that asked for some PM me your addresses and/or email addresses so I can organise payment and get them out to you. Should be able to get away with normal postage by sticking them in a hole in a piece of cardboard :shrug:

NeilS
5th May 2012, 12:25 AM
Good oh, Vern.

PM sent

steck
5th May 2012, 12:37 AM
Thanks, Vern
PM sent.

hughie
5th May 2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks Vern pm sent

letzzzgo
5th May 2012, 12:57 PM
PM sent ... thanks Vern.

rsser
6th May 2012, 04:02 PM
Sent an email to your old work address ... if that's still current.

Thanks.

Old Croc
8th May 2012, 07:20 AM
PM sent, thanks Vern,
Crocy

letzzzgo
11th May 2012, 03:59 PM
Cutters + screws arrived today. Once again Vern, thanks for your effort on this BB.

Cheers
John

rsser
11th May 2012, 04:24 PM
+1

NeilS
11th May 2012, 09:42 PM
My cutters also arrived today and very nicely packaged too, Vern.

Many thanks.

Old Croc
11th May 2012, 09:59 PM
My cutters also arrived today and very nicely packaged too, Vern.

Many thanks.
Mine too Vern, :2tsup:thanks again.
Will anyone be posting pics of the tools they make to use these cutters?
I hope to knock one up tomorro, after I machine up a screw for it,
regards,
crocy.

steck
12th May 2012, 01:35 PM
Got Mine too!
Thanks Vern!

NeilS
12th May 2012, 05:00 PM
Knocked mine up this morning....:rolleyes:

Well...... I did spend a few minutes finding a screw that fitted the cutter and adjusting that a tad.

I realised after the fact that I had not only made a screw to fit but also a mini chip breaker.

The next difficult bit was to secure the cutter with said screw into the matching thread in the bar that Frank-and-Earnest had kindly made for me some time back when Frank was cranking us all up to have a go with these carbide cutters.

As luck would have it, even my most used T-bar hex, which is always within reach, fitted the screw head...:)

Then I inserted the bar into a Hughie Handle...

.... and it looks like I'm ready to go.

Time for a cuppa after all that hard work!

jnesmith
19th August 2012, 01:41 AM
So, how does it work?

I just ordered some cutters from knotsburls.com. If anyone has used them, what do you think? Do they appear to me true "nanograin" carbide? How do they compare to any other carbide cutters you have used?

Thanks.

John (I'm a new member)

Old Croc
20th August 2012, 08:11 AM
Hi John,
Welcome to the forums. Do they work? well sort of, OK for roughing out, good wear resistance on high silica content timbers, dont tend to dig in, but HSS for a scraper and Glasser HiTec gouges still give a better finish for me. You will find another thread on Tantung steel, it sounds promising, but I am experimenting with some Crobalt tool steel, that I got from Eccentric Engineering down in Vickie. Also John, it is hard to give you a fair comparison, as our timbers are much harder than yours and some also have very high silica content, and will take the edge off HSS in one pass of a bowl,
rgds,
Crocy.

NeilS
21st August 2012, 11:44 AM
Hi John

Welcome to the forum!

Are you a new woodturner, as well as a new member of the forum? If you are a novice you will get lots of valuable information and advice here from advanced apprentices through to some of the most experienced woodturners in the world; all of them very generous with their knowledge and expertise.

Just be warned, we are a robust lot here who are inclined to call a spade 'a bloody shovel', but if you are still wearing your Ls (leaner driver plates) we will be gentler with you, for now...:)

And, if you are an experienced woodturner we look forward to your contributions. You might like to introduce yourself in a new thread by showing us some of your work and/or any woodturning gadgets/tools/processes you have developed.

On the carbide tips: I tend to use them to bulk rough down/out green or very hard blanks. Any blank which has bark which may retain gritty soil is a good candidate. Most people use them with a scraping action. I also use them with a peeling action (bevel rubbing) in green wood. Prepare yourself to be sprayed with shavings!

I haven't noticed much difference in the performance of any of the carbides I have used. One with a polished face will cut more cleanly, for a while, but as Old Croc said HSS is better for finishing cuts.

jnesmith
21st August 2012, 12:46 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the welcome. I may start another thread to get more specific, but for now, her is a bit about me. I've been woodworking for 10 years. (Avid hobbiest) I was gifted a lathe about three months ago. It was a circa 1938 Craftsman 10" model. It had been sitting in a barn for 50 years; no motor and various mis-matched accessories. So, my venture into turning was also a venture into restoring old iron.

The lathe is looking great, and up and running. I've turned a few bowls and a few spindles, (including some tool handles) and am addicted.

My sharpening arsenal includes a Worksharp 3000, the turning tool attachment, various Tormek jigs and a few diamond hones. I know how to sharpen (but not necessarily turning tools). I bought a Hunter Tools Hercules (with carbide cutter) and immediately experienced turning like never before. (in my brief tenure) Hence, my curiousity about these tools.

I do believe that there is a bog difference between more traditional carbide cutters, and those made from the newer "nanograin" carbide. But, I looking for as much confirmation or disproof of that as possible.

Thanks again for the welcome!

jnesmith
25th August 2012, 05:55 AM
Another question for you guys.

How are you cutting/filing the recess for the carbide cutter? I don't have any metalworking machinery. I do have a router table and carbide spiral bits. I might try to jig up some sort of holder, but I would rather not reinvent the wheel.

Thanks again.

oreos40
25th August 2012, 08:58 AM
the recess IN the cutter or the recess FOR the carbide cutter to nest in. for wood cutting there is no need to nest or back up the insert. For some instance it may be helpful to capture it so that it doesn't shift position(cutters other than round) Most times a flat step can be filed for an unused edge to rest against. If you are referring to the recess behind the cutting edge sharpening is done on the relief surface of the cutter not on the chip surface.

jnesmith
25th August 2012, 12:33 PM
The latter.

Here are some pics of pre-made bars. This one is from "Captain Eddie".

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-e7Tn19bhFx8/UDgpIzKNymI/AAAAAAAAA38/SvcXCKTcy3w/s800/IMG_3045.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-iXDnq-U_o1E/UDgpLrawbXI/AAAAAAAAA4E/qeYnD5_bG9U/s800/IMG_3044.JPG

This is the "Hunter Hercules"

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ZoF6aWIaFSQ/UDgo9hznyzI/AAAAAAAAA3k/B1rtYIa5lTQ/s800/IMG_3051.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ISJtwVA4QJE/UDgpCtoUJTI/AAAAAAAAA3s/h3_gYQ5WxxY/s800/IMG_3048.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-2eclNtnMYuU/UDgpGhpKOpI/AAAAAAAAA30/jtKS_5PviPI/s576/IMG_3047.JPG

In all my research, I have never seen any that were simply screwed to the surface of a bar or rod without a recess, as you seem to be suggesting. Have you done it that way? If so, please share pics.

I would still like to hear from those that have experience cutting the recesses for square, radiused, and round cutters.

TTIT
25th August 2012, 10:23 PM
...............In all my research, I have never seen any that were simply screwed to the surface of a bar or rod without a recess, as you seem to be suggesting. Have you done it that way? If so, please share pics.

I would still like to hear from those that have experience cutting the recesses for square, radiused, and round cutters.The recess isn't necessary. The recess helps stop the square cutters from slipping around but only a good flat surface and a tight screw will stop the round ones from slipping. The round cutters can be attached directly to your Captain-Eddie bar without modification.

I cut a slight step down on the square bar I attached my square cutter to using a 1mm cut-off blade in an angle grinder but ended up squaring it up with a file anyway :shrug:

The cup-cutters you pictured are a different ball-game altogether to the flat scraper type this thread is referring to - the cup type are mainly used for end-grain hollowing and are mounted at all sorts of angles and so on.