PDA

View Full Version : Newmarket Sale yards Redgum for sale

redgumtragic
12th March 2012, 06:34 PM
Hi, I'm new to Woodwork Forums but here is the story. I have a number of redgum posts and beams from the Newmarket Sale yards. It has been stored under cover for more than 30 years. The sizes vary from 400x400x4000 to 300x200x3000. We have milled some smaller pieces and to our delight the grain was beautiful fiddle back. I have been told these timbers were milled more than 120 years ago from old growth forrest. My question is, should I mill to smaller sizes before selling or put them on the market as they are? I'm not needing gold diggers here!, helpful advise will be much appreciated!

Groggy
12th March 2012, 06:39 PM
I'd put them on the forum as they are.

redgumtragic
12th March 2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks Groggy, how do I work out a real value on these without selling my soul to some self interest timber merchant?

Groggy
12th March 2012, 06:50 PM
I'd suggest you put some photos in first to seek an idea of prices.

PS - I am moving this thread over to the Timber area as it is not a "Wanted" or a "For Sale" (yet)

redgumtragic
12th March 2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the help! regardless of value, this timber is like selling my left arm!! (presure from the head cook if you know what I mean!)...It was to be part of a mub brick house that never eventuated and I'm now pleased that it didn't. This timber belongs if beautiful furnture for all to enjoy.

Acco
12th March 2012, 09:18 PM
I could be interest in one or two to build a bench, would depend on location and actual timber after either seeing some pics or seeing it in the flesh.

I'm assuming you're in Melbourne and if so what suburb?

_fly_
12th March 2012, 09:21 PM
I'd like to make a nice solid 1 piece guitar out of it.

cava
12th March 2012, 09:50 PM
I'd put them on the forum as they are.

:whs:

I also may want a piece of the action, depending on SWMBO of course.

dai sensei
12th March 2012, 11:17 PM
I have seen plenty of high value "block" type furniture made mainly from old wharf beams, so may well be a market for old growth figured stuff like you suggest. Personally, I'd hate to see it cut up into smaller pieces, but the market will determine your best path.

tea lady
12th March 2012, 11:45 PM
400 x 400 x 4000? :faint:

Bushmiller
12th March 2012, 11:55 PM
I think potential buyers are going to need at least your approximate location. "Australia" while eliminating the issues of customs and quarrantine regulations doesn't really narrow the location down enough:rolleyes:.

Some pictures of the timber particularly the end grain would also be helpful. Large structural timbers were sometimes boxed hearts, which really means a log squared up. The 400 x 400s may well be squared logs.

Still of interest I'm sure:).

Regards
Paul

ClintO
13th March 2012, 12:11 PM
I think you need to definitely consider milling it down to smaller sizes. You would need a forklift to move that sort of post and the size is a bit beyond the machinery that most of us have (I think)

Bushmiller
13th March 2012, 12:24 PM
I think you need to definitely consider milling it down to smaller sizes. You would need a forklift to move that sort of post and the size is a bit beyond the machinery that most of us have (I think)

400 x 400 x 4000 would be in the region of 500kgs to 600kgs tending more towards the latter.

Regards
Paul

Milo
13th March 2012, 03:15 PM
Yup these babies would be "Burley" to say the least.

I picked up 9 lenghts of 3.6mx200x70mm and I gave myself a broken back and my sack ached for days!!! :-

This stuff sounds interesting!

rustynail
13th March 2012, 05:23 PM
It would be good to see some photos. Hard to imagine it would be boxed in heart if it has held up this long. If they are free of heart, it would be a crime to rip 'em up just so some one can hand carry it. If the heart is in, then it would be a good thing to box it out, but I would still be leaving the sections as large as possible. You don't get stuff like this very often.

rustynail
13th March 2012, 05:25 PM
Yup these babies would be "Burley" to say the least.

I picked up 9 lenghts of 3.6mx200x70mm and I gave myself a broken back and my sack ached for days!!! :-

This stuff sounds interesting!

Empty sacks can do that:D

Geoff Dean
13th March 2012, 07:45 PM
There used to be saleyards at Newmarket in Albury.

Wonder if it is that Newmarket?

Acco
13th March 2012, 07:56 PM
There used to be saleyards at Newmarket in Albury.

Wonder if it is that Newmarket?

Same down here too Geoff, Newmarket Saleyards turn 150: Museum Victoria (http://museumvictoria.com.au/about/mv-blog/feb-2011/newmarket-saleyards-turn-150/)

sunstones
18th April 2012, 12:12 PM
Newmarket in Brisbane had sale yards too but they closed many years ago. He does say he has had them stored for 30 years though.
Did anyone find out where he is?
Nicko

watson
18th April 2012, 07:26 PM
Was there a Newmarket in WA???

Acco
18th April 2012, 07:42 PM
Had a look through redgumtragic's profile and saw a link to his homepage which is in Thomastown, Melbourne. So I'd be assuming that the timber is in Melbourne, but then again, we haven't heard from him since the 13th March, so he can't be to keen to get rid of it.

ClintO
18th April 2012, 09:41 PM
I think that there are too many instances of items for sale being posted by people in their first post.
IMHO they are just using us as a cheap ad
Perhaps, as one of the new rules, it should not be possible to list something for sale until you have been a member for 1 month or after a few posts
Just a thought!

Bushmiller
18th April 2012, 11:01 PM
I think that there are too many instances of items for sale being posted by people in their first post.
Perhaps, as one of the new rules, it should not be possible to list something for sale until you have been a member for 1 month or after a few posts
Just a thought!

I had thought something along those lines was in place. In fact I believed I had seen something written down, but I have just been through the guidlines, which are relatively new, and I can see nothing there. Perhaps the time qualification has been removed or maybe I am thinking of entries into the prize draw (I think that may be it) where there is some restriction.

Perhaps the marketplace is seen as a way of attracting new members. Even if they don't stay on the forum and participate, members have had the benefit of goods placed before them.

Remember there are a huge number of people who visit the forums on a regular basis, but don't actively participate in the posting.

Regards
paul

kevjed
18th April 2012, 11:15 PM
The Old Sale Yards in Newmarket in Melbourne did indeed close down about 30 years ago. I lived in the area, Kensington, Flemington and Newmarket as a kid and passed the sale yards most days. (just near Kensington PS)
If this timber comes onto the market I'd love to get as much as the budget would stretch too. I'd love to have some of that history from my past.

Groggy
19th April 2012, 01:20 PM
Just a thought!

I had thought something along those lines was in place. In fact I believed I had seen something written down, but I have just been through the guidlines, which are relatively new, and I can see nothing there. Perhaps the time qualification has been removed or maybe I am thinking of entries into the prize draw (I think that may be it) where there is some restriction.

Perhaps the marketplace is seen as a way of attracting new members. Even if they don't stay on the forum and participate, members have had the benefit of goods placed before them.

Remember there are a huge number of people who visit the forums on a regular basis, but don't actively participate in the posting.

Regards
paulThis was discussed during the development of the recent rules. Essentially:

- there is no way under the current software to enforce a number of posts before placing an ad without a large overhead to administer it.

- it is in the interests of members to have legitimate sale items offered here.

- some first time posters continue on to be valuable members and still others have been lurkers for a while anyway.

In general, we could not find an acceptable way to manage it, so the decision was to wait for the next forum software update when a number of options come available (there is no date available for that update yet).

FenceFurniture
19th April 2012, 01:39 PM
You could always go around to the Thomastown address or ring and ask the question - is it still for sale. Check the website that DJ refers to on his home page.

ClintO
19th April 2012, 02:14 PM
Groggy, I appreciate the difficulties, it was just a random thought that started when someone posted a pine plantation for sale in their first post and seems to have disappeared.
I apologise for hijacking this thread, though it seemed to have come to a natural end :D