PDA

View Full Version : Mobile work station

colbra
13th March 2012, 04:41 PM
Hi All
I have been traveling around Australia for a couple of years now on and off with my home on the Central Coast NSW I have seen all sorts of caravans campervans mobile homes some are enormous and other are quite small what I have never seen is a caravan that is also a mobile workshop a bit like our back shed I suppose.
Is there any forums member that have, or seen such a unit at the moment I am at Soldiers Point Port Stephens and was talking to some other people that had seen such a van it was Jayco Base Station all set up with wood lathe band saw and drill press along with work benches all the tools for wood working plus separate power supply as it was explained to me the work bench could be moved outside and under a rear awning. What I was wondering if this is one of our fellow woodies or maybe you have seen this unit or know of one like it.
Many years ago I seen a military vehicle that was set up as an engineering work shop and that had the works and I mean the works blew me away that one, wonder where that went someone may have that in their back yard or may be in a museum some where
Any way lets know what you have or have seen about in your travels

Colbra:)

PS I think this would the ultimate in keeping the dream alive:2tsup:

RETIRED
13th March 2012, 09:03 PM
Bruce Bell had a mobile Woodturning school set up.

A Profile of Australian Woodturner BRUCE BELL (http://www.tymba.com/profile.htm)

wheelinround
13th March 2012, 09:27 PM
Fellow I knew of some years back had his mechanical/metal workshop in the back half of his mobile home and old bedford bus it had a ramp also which gave him access to get under cars.

colbra
13th March 2012, 09:36 PM
Bruce Bell had a mobile Woodturning school set up.

A Profile of Australian Woodturner BRUCE BELL (http://www.tymba.com/profile.htm)

Hi
I am not sure if my computer is playing up or Bruce has hung up his apron could not get into the sight extensions thanks for getting back to us I still have not called in for that cuppa may be latter in the year :2tsup:
Cobra:)

colbra
13th March 2012, 10:15 PM
Fellow I knew of some years back had his mechanical/metal workshop in the back half of his mobile home and old bedford bus it had a ramp also which gave him access to get under cars.

Hi Wheelinround I think there would be lots of people on the road doing all sorts of jobs from cooks to nursing and all sorts of other necessary jobs I ran into a bloke at Broken Hill that had sold his sheep/cattle station and now just travelled around doing relief managing on other stations when those people needed a holiday he had a huge van, and there were other people looking after caravan parks doing the same.
It’s all makes for an interesting life style and there all top people to have a yarn with their got the most amazing stories to tell.
Australian country side is a top place to hang about in, there is always something going on if I had a mobile work shop built in with a caravan I reckon that would be just grand for a while anyway till I got home sick which is running at about 3 months at moment.

Ps
I like to call into the Mens Sheds as I travel about the place I am at Salamand Shed at the moment:2tsup:

wheelinround
13th March 2012, 10:24 PM
Colbra your dead right nearly did that ourselves prior my health issues.

Have met up with many a grey nomad on my travels seen many an old bus or coach I have built or driven turned into such also.

The one I mentioned used to go to race track events, another just come to mind a double decker which sold model cars and many more.

Know an old forumite who's just bought his own and doing the conversion ATM soon to be hitting the road.

Lookout for "The Gnome Mobile" it could come to a town near you.:U

ian
13th March 2012, 10:58 PM
the one I've seen was setup inside a 6T Iveco van.
The van was fitted out to carry tools and a motorbike, living quarters were in the large caravan towed behind

colbra
15th March 2012, 04:44 PM
Hi Wheelinround & Ian
We will be home at the end of the month till the end of April then off to Bingara in North Weston NSW for a while then heading to Central Australia for a couple of months that’s the plan at this stage any way.
I am sure during this time there is good chance we may see The Gnome mobile and may be other work stations I may be able to take some pictures and post in an article on them, I’m sure there would be a story or two there.

wheelinround
16th March 2012, 09:07 AM
Colbara sorry I may have misslead the Gnome Mobile is a WiP its a Nissina Civilian being converted as we type. Yet the occupant does do some work on occassions :roll:

Nice trip Nth west some MMBN country as one old passenger said to me once. If heading to Lightening Ridge watch the dirt track/road in one drop of rain and its like skating on ice 2 drops and its like a pig pen.

colbra
17th March 2012, 09:25 AM
No probs Ray I might see him on the road a bit latter on and in the meantime I will keep wandering around the place may be get down your way as well, at some point in the furture.

wheelinround
17th March 2012, 09:28 AM
No probs Ray I might see him on the road a bit latter on and in the meantime I will keep waundering around the place may be get down your way as well, at some point in the furture.

:2tsup: sounds good