PDA

View Full Version : What height should a WW lathe chuck be?

BobL
13th March 2012, 10:36 PM
OK WW turner gurus, what do you consider the optimum height above the floor for a WW lathe chuck? Is it something like a vice where the forearm should be level in the working position?

I have donated my old lathe bench to SWMBO for her lapidary work which gives me the perfect excuse to build a purpose built bench for my small woodfast.

I will probably weld up a steel frame and put some drawers in it for storage.

Grommett
13th March 2012, 10:42 PM
I wait for the gurus, but I think forearm height is about right.

dai sensei
13th March 2012, 11:18 PM
Centreline in line with the bottom of your elbow whilst beside your body

China
14th March 2012, 12:14 AM
Or if that is uncomfotable set where you feel comfotable

NCPaladin
14th March 2012, 03:47 AM
I think the general rule of thumb is elbow height. I prefer mine about a 1-1/2” higher. One good tip I saw is to have a live center in the tailstock (1.5-2 diameter as in a spindle), turn and take a tool in a comfortable grip with the handle tucked into you side, then turn back to see where the bevel is in relation to where a cut would be. This should give a very close approximation as to what is comfortable to you.

hughie
14th March 2012, 08:37 AM
Or if that is uncomfotable set where you feel comfotable

The elbow height is a starting point adjust from there to find the most comfortable height. Mine is around 1200mm or 47" which for my height its too high. But then I do only bowls and hollow vessels and the 1200 is handy for looking inside.

I guess if your doing spindle work the elbow height would be ideal.

BobL
14th March 2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks fellas, much appreciated. :)

brendan stemp
14th March 2012, 11:32 AM
My small lathe is set 100mm above the standard elbow height. I do a lot of fine work on this lathe and having it this height saves my neck and back from the bending over. It also means the work is closer to me so I can see it!!

Jim Carroll
14th March 2012, 12:23 PM
My small lathe is set 100mm above the standard elbow height. I do a lot of fine work on this lathe and having it this height saves my neck and back from the bending over. It also means the work is closer to me so I can see it!!

That also helps fading eyesight:D

Mulgabill
14th March 2012, 12:28 PM
Hey steady Jim!:q

BobL
15th March 2012, 12:54 AM
Any other good hints or tips for lathe bench building?

I have some 40 x 40 x 2.5 mm SHS calling out to be used that should be more than strong enough for a frame. Then I have a pre-loved 35 mm thick Tassie oak bench top from an lab reno at work that should make a good strong top.

RETIRED
15th March 2012, 07:00 AM
Any other good hints or tips for lathe bench building?

I have some 40 x 40 x 2.5 mm SHS calling out to be used that should be more than strong enough for a frame. Then I have a pre-loved 35 mm thick Tassie oak bench top from an lab reno at work that should make a good strong top.Try to leave under the bed clear so that stuff falls through.

Brace the bench diagonally in all directions.

brendan stemp
15th March 2012, 07:46 AM
Yep definitely what said. I also like having a shelf under the lathe bed for tools I am using.

BobL
15th March 2012, 10:24 AM
Try to leave under the bed clear so that stuff falls through.
That's interesting, because I do mostly small stuff I was thinking of partially enclosing the bed and chuck in a 20 gallon drum like Robo Hippy made. I have a 6" duct waiting to connect to it.

Brace the bench diagonally in all directions. Yep - that is on the plan. I'll aso be applying my standard "BobL over engineering specs" to the stand

issatree
15th March 2012, 11:47 AM
Hi BobL,
I haven't read them all, bu I would like to think that you would consider making a Duck Board, out of Wood of course, to stand on.
I made my Slats of 1 1/2in x 1/2in. or 40mm. x 12mm. & 3/4in or 20mm. apart so all the shavings fall through to the floor.
You need to glue & screw.
Standing on the Board, you measure from the Board to 25mm. above your Elbow.
Well that was the way I did it all those years ago, & it still work that way today.

BobL
15th March 2012, 01:05 PM
Hi BobL,
I haven't read them all, bu I would like to think that you would consider making a Duck Board, out of Wood of course, to stand on.
I made my Slats of 1 1/2in x 1/2in. or 40mm. x 12mm. & 3/4in or 20mm. apart so all the shavings fall through to the floor.
You need to glue & screw.
Standing on the Board, you measure from the Board to 25mm. above your Elbow.
Well that was the way I did it all those years ago, & it still work that way today.

Thanks for the idea. I'm going to have to think about this because the place where I stand to operate the WW lathe is in a pathway between the two halves of the shed and I don't really want to be tripping over anything or having to move it so I can roll machines between the spaces.

China
15th March 2012, 10:16 PM
If a duck is not feasable the just buy one of those anti fatigue matts from someone like clark rubber

gidgee 1
16th March 2012, 06:35 AM
HI Bob
If you are going down the path of putting a 20 gallon drum on your lathe for dust collection,why not put a box on it instead and do all your turning and finishing in the box?

Here is a photo of the one that I am using,it is a recent upgrade.I originally put it on the lathe back in about 2006(there is an old post back there somewhere).I mostly turn smallish items.The largest item that can be turned in the box is 400mm dia by 300
mm long.

cheers
gidgee 1