PDA

View Full Version : insulation Paint??

Pulpo
10th February 2005, 12:34 PM
Greetings

I have a shed in a cold part of NSW.

The shed is insulated, roof and walls.

However the roll a door has no protection.

Could I apply some sort of product, like a paint, to the back of the door.

I'm trying to reduce the heat from the outside coming through the door and alternatively keeping the heat in during winter.

Any ideas, does such a product actually exist? :confused:

Thanks

Pulpo

echnidna
10th February 2005, 01:11 PM
Dulux used to make an insulation paint.

jackiew
10th February 2005, 01:52 PM
Could you just hang a thick curtain over the inside of the roller door while you are working in there ?

simon c
10th February 2005, 02:04 PM
Could you just hang a thick curtain over the inside of the roller door while you are working in there ?

You girls think that soft furnishings are the answer to everything. :rolleyes:

jackiew
10th February 2005, 05:19 PM
i thought that was money simon :p

I was serious about the curtain though. By creating a layer of still air between the curtain and the door it should make things a little warmer. As looks will be irrelevant a little time with a sewing machine after a trip to the op shop for their most disgusting curtains and bedspreads ( which will be cheaper than nice ones ) should result in something quite useable. If you can't find thick ones then attach thin ones together.

Ideally a pelmet would be constructed over the roller and the curtain hung from that with the curtain long enough to puddle on the floor ( hint make the pelmet when the roller is at its maximum size - not when the door is shut or it might get interesting the first time that the door is rolled up again ).

as a thought it might be an idea to keep the fire extinguisher and a bucket of water handy if anything spark producing is being done ( or use canvas rather than curtaining if you can get hold of an old tent - it might be less flamable ).

Twodogs
10th February 2005, 05:36 PM
For insulating paints as used on motorhomes check out
australianpaints.com
and
insulpro.com.au
regards

simon c
10th February 2005, 06:04 PM
i thought that was money simon :p

Yes, so you can spend it on soft furnishings. :p back.

Actually, I do think the curtain is a good idea though.

echnidna
10th February 2005, 07:03 PM
Yes, so you can spend it on soft furnishings. :p back.

Actually, I do think the curtain is a good idea though.

there are some very nice floral fabrics available.
:cool:

beejay1
10th February 2005, 07:28 PM
Used the plasticised floor paint in mine for the door which like yours, is metal.

It seems to work OK with no condensation and it doesnt seem to get too hot or cold, mind you our summers are akin to one of your crap spring days.
I was originally going to line it with that 2-3mm polystyrene roll stuff but decided on the paint as I had some left anyway.
beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Pulpo
11th February 2005, 01:43 PM
I was planning to use a curtain of sorts for the air gaps during winter.

But during summer it would seem to be more of an annoyance, moving it out the way too often

I will have to hunt around for some second hand curtains, canvas would be better as there could be sparks flying around.

I cannot get onto the dulux website, they want me to down load flashplayer [no thanks]. Suprising any company requires you to down load stuff just to view their products. :rolleyes:

I probably will do both.

Thanks all

Pulpo

bitingmidge
11th February 2005, 02:22 PM
Suprising any company requires you to down load stuff just to view their products. :rolleyes:

Not as surprised as me that anyone still surfs the net without Flash!!

Must be a dull boring life!

Do you also turn off images??

Cheers,

P
:p :p :p

bitingmidge
11th February 2005, 02:35 PM
Pulpo,

I once had a panel lift door which was made of an insulated product similar to cool room panels, but pressed with a panelled face.

Unfortunately a truck ran through it and the manufacturer stopped importing them (from the US) so we replaced it with a solid timber door.

Could you dud up a swing door over the outside in some form of insulated panel, either second hand coolroom panels in a bit of a frame, or maybe some styrene panels with a bit of ply over them?

I can't see paint working other than to reflect heat??

Cheers,

P

conwood
11th February 2005, 03:35 PM
why don't you try, on say the first couple of feet, applying some bubble wrap. You may be able to glue it and it will still roll up. I've not done this but would be interesting to see if it works.
or, get a tilta door.
conwood

Harry72
11th February 2005, 06:23 PM
How bout just hanging some shade cloth outside over the door durring summer, so it doesnt heat up in the first place? Or even build a small pergola infront of the door for something more perminate?
Winter go me stumped tho, replace the door with some other material?

rackrussel
16th February 2005, 08:01 PM
dont have flash player.
next you will be saying you've never heard of reverse cycle air-con

soundman
17th February 2005, 09:35 PM
I have seen advertising and other mentions of thermal paints recently thats about all though.
Have you made sure that the outside is painted a light coulour like white.

Don't think for a minute that canvas is any less flamable than other fabrics. Most canvas burns real well because it is impregnated with oils & waxes to make it waterproof.

If flamability is a concern theatrical curtaining suppliers can treat fabric with flame retardent chemical such as "ROSCO Flamex".

The curtain will also help heaps with the noise.

cheers

echnidna
17th February 2005, 10:10 PM
The old english warships used to fireproof their canvas sails by soaking them in a solution of Alum.

soundman
17th February 2005, 11:22 PM
Modern fire retardants used in theatre are borax based but ther is a coctail of other chemicals to make the product disperse thru the fabric and prevent it from misbehaving in varoius ways.
Flamex (& similar) is available through most serious theatrical suppliers.
Usualy applied by dipping or spraying, But do it outside as it corodes metal just like salt.