PDA

View Full Version : Workman CQ6125 Lathe

tongleh
15th March 2012, 01:25 PM
Does anybody have the Workman CQ6125? I've had a look at this lathe, re-branded as Impala, and was very impressed with it. Compared with other Chinese lathes I've had or seen it's finished off a lot better, ie, the manufacturers haven't used a bucket load of bog to make it look good, the machinings on the casts are also very well done, and it has impressive specs. I can get this lathe for around the $1400 mark, or less hopefully, with a comprehensive list of accessories including stand, 4 jaw chuck, etc, but thought I'd check first. Finally, is there a manufacturer's name on the machine or in the manual so I can check for spares availability through them.. Yep, I'm still harping on about spares.

aametalmaster
15th March 2012, 10:57 PM
Does it look like this one? Lathe Machine CQ6125 (http://www.dlchem.com/pages/20070918/lathe-machine-CQ6125.shtml) Some parts are hard to get and some are easy...Bob

simonl
15th March 2012, 11:28 PM
Hello,

I have a workman lathe, its a C06230/914 as mentioned in another thread.

It's not too bad, for a Chinese lathe. I'm reasonably happy with it.

Simon

tongleh
15th March 2012, 11:43 PM
aametalmaster, no afraid not, looks like other manufacturers use the same model numbers, that's made it dificult.

simonl, is there a manufacturers name on the machine or in the manual, with a bit of luck, perhaps the importer sources his lathes from the same manufacturer.

simonl
15th March 2012, 11:53 PM
Hi there,

I'm not sure. I will have a look for you when I get home from work in the morning. I think from memory it does say Workman. It looks exactly the same (ie Identical) to the Grizzly G4003. in fact the user manual and parts/bearing list is the same. I have posted a picture of it in this thread http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/re-grizzly-lathe-149536/

Have a look at it if you want.

Ozmestore used to sell these lathes. Not sure if they still do.

Cheers,

Simon

simonl
16th March 2012, 12:18 PM
Hi there,

have had a look at the user manual and I can't see any reference to a manufacturer. I do however have a hard copy of the original ebay posting of the machine and looking at the picture, it's a picture of a Grizzly machine! Even has the saddle hand wheel on the LHS (as I have seen in US) not on the RHS as is on my machine.

I hope this helps.

Simon

fxst
16th March 2012, 01:22 PM
Now I may be completely wrong but I have a CQ 6125x550 which matches the grizzley C 0602. I got theis from Ozmestore in Adelaide and am well pleased with it. :2tsup: If it looks like this....22"x10" (550x250mm) Quick Change Gearbox Metal Lathe With Stand | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/22-x10-550x250mm-Quick-Change-Gearbox-Metal-Lathe-Stand-/380416622612?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item5892990014) its a good buy in my opinion. The only problem I have with it is the stand is a bit low as I'm just on 6ft in the old money. I was going to lift it a little to make it easier when standing but at the moment I sit at it a lot due to arthur visiting my back so it works out ok:D
Pete

tongleh
16th March 2012, 03:05 PM
Yep, thanks simon.

tongleh
16th March 2012, 03:14 PM
fxst, you are completely right, that is the lathe I was so impressed with. I looked for ozmestore yesterday down at Port Adelaide, couldn't find it, so had a look at the one at Impala Machinery on Cavan Rd, same thing, different name and a much higher price tag ($2100). The Grizzly looks the same, but someone on this site told me a minimum order of $200 applies for all orders outside the US, so was wondering if spares were available in Australia.

tongleh
16th March 2012, 03:18 PM
Pete, I'm only 5"7" and when I stood at it yesterday it was perfect. Most of the others, particularly Paramount Browns, are even too low for me.

Michael G
16th March 2012, 03:21 PM
Ozmestore don't have a store front - they operate directly out of a warehouse in the Port. Getting there is easy but you buy online and have the option to pick up. I haven't had any problems with them and their operations

Michael