PDA

View Full Version : Router Table

10th February 2005, 05:24 PM
i Am rejigging my router table,and am thinking of using a piece of Lexion as the base to hold the inverted router.As this is not readily available,was thinking of getting a 3/8 kitchen cutting board and machining that to the required thickness.Any body got any ideas before i start hacking?...........regards AL

Dan
10th February 2005, 05:50 PM
When you say Lexion do you mean Lexan (bullet proof perspex)?
I've got a fair bit of 6mm Lexan laying around and could send you a bit if you want to try it but i think it might be a bit thin to support a router unless the table cutout is only just larger than the router base. I wouldn't be keen on the cutting board because it is a lot softer than lexan and would be even more prone to sagging imo.

10th February 2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks Dan,Yep thats the stuff i need,about a foot square and about 3/8 thick.Thanks for the offer,but am going to Adelaide Sat.If i dont have any joy there,i will keep in touch.Regards....................AL

doublejay
10th February 2005, 07:02 PM
Has anybody tried using Corian for a router table? It seems to be stable and very solid.

echnidna
10th February 2005, 07:07 PM
corian is hard to come by in oz.
specially if you want to keep both arms.

Samson13
10th February 2005, 07:37 PM
I used one of those insert plates from Carbatec. Cost abt 50 bucks. I think its made of phenolic resin. Really stiff & anti sag. A bit like how I'd like to be really (wishful thinking). Seriously, really happy with the insert plate - saves a lot of mucking around. It also accommodates both large & small router bits.

doublejay
10th February 2005, 07:38 PM
We had our kitchen benches made from Corian and the initial job wasn't right and Dupont agreed to replace the whole thing. So I have pieces of the old benchtop gathering dust in the shed. Its tricky to work with but I have made a couple of choppong boards (to protect the benchtops) I cut it with a TCT blade and was able to round the edges etc., with a HSS router bit.