PDA

View Full Version : Alana

dopeydriver
17th March 2012, 09:32 PM
http://www.sa.yachting.org.au/site/yachting/sa/downloads/KEELBOAT_TY/wooden%20boat%20Alana%20Poster.pdf .
Rob J.

HOOKED.UP
18th March 2012, 01:22 PM
Me thinks Me sees a "LEMON".

Paul.

dopeydriver
18th March 2012, 05:08 PM
I believe its been for sale for a while Paul , and there is probably a reason for that.
But you never know , someone might be interested.
Regards Rob J.

malb
18th March 2012, 07:20 PM
Beam and Draft conversions are not to hot either, 1.2m (Draft) is a smidgen off 4 feet, not 5 as claimed, and 2.75m would be around 9ft, not 11 foot as claimed.

Who knows which set is correct and measured, and which set is a figment of imagination.

dopeydriver
18th March 2012, 07:34 PM
If a person was really interested in the boat it wouldn't be hard to check if it was a genuine Stenross boat , and her dimensions.
I've had a look at a list of boats attibuted to Stenross and Laakso , and there is no Alana.
But there were a number of boats built by him that are unnamed , so it could be one of them.
There is the Stenross museum , and another SA book that lists all of the boats that were built or worked in SA to check on.
Regards Rob J.

vk4
18th March 2012, 08:18 PM
Why does the stem look like it has a twist to starboard, below the waterline???

There appears to be water damage in the divider between the bow V berths berths and the saloon berths, with what appears to be mold on the left of the picture??

dopeydriver
18th March 2012, 08:44 PM
I don't know about the twist , but there is certainly some water damage inside , for sure.
I think if I asked Garry Stewart about repairing it (professionally) he would say he could build a new one cheaper than repairing the old.
Regards Rob J.

HOOKED.UP
19th March 2012, 03:17 PM
vk4, certainly some water damage as you say,:2tsup: also because of that "lovely" ply liner, :doh:there would be no air circulation in between the frames and hull.:oo: One of my pet hates, I am sorry.:B

I do like the 1960 pic though.:D

Paul.

b.o.a.t.
20th March 2012, 09:11 PM
whacked a ruler against the stem in the pic. The twist seems to be an optical illusion
due to the relative positions of the change of colours & rope diagonal. The ruler says
it's straight. But then my rulers sometimes lie to me...

Interesting (perhaps) apocrypha...
Phil Bolger discusses cedar planks lining some of his hulls, the object being to induce
circulation in the gaps between hull & lining. The sunny side of the boat warms the air
on that side, causing it to rise (and vent exit?), drawing cool air down the shady side,
through the bilge. Natural air-con, and a well ventillated inner hull skin. Whether he only
drew that for plywood hulls, or for traditional planked hulls, I cannot now remember.
I am currently a couple of thousand Km from my copy of BWAOM to check it out..
cheers
AJ

b.o.a.t.
20th March 2012, 09:13 PM
I don't know about the twist , but there is certainly some water damage inside , for sure.
I think if I asked Garry Stewart about repairing it (professionally) he would say he could build a new one cheaper than repairing the old.
Regards Rob J.

There perhaps is the solution to your quest for a canoe sterned cray boat... build it?
cheers
AJ

dopeydriver
20th March 2012, 09:49 PM
Yep , I could do that.
Or maybe the boat I'm looking at will tick enough boxes for me , and I'll have me a new (old) boat.
Time will tell.
Regards Rob J.

b.o.a.t.
21st March 2012, 05:36 PM
I / we wait with bated (baited?) breath for news !!
cheers
AJ

dopeydriver
21st March 2012, 05:40 PM
Just don't hold your breath !.
It would be great if it works out though.
Regards Rob J.