PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Motor On Teknatool TL1000

seanz
18th March 2012, 02:44 PM
Anything I should be aware of ? The pulley set-up looks like it might be a bit of a challenge to get off as I can't see a way of getting a gear puller (or a pulley puller for that matter) onto the pulleys.

I want to swap the half horsepower motor for at least a one horse-power motor. There's nothing wrong with the motor on the lathe (that I'm aware of) but the half-horse motor on my little bandsaw is just about stuffed so I'd like to swap things around and upgrade the motor on the lathe as I plan to keep the lathe and will replace the bandsaw when I can.

There are not a lot of 17mm shaft-size motors out there. Can I get the pulley machined out to 24mm safely?

Or is this too much muckng around (never!) on an old machine?

powderpost
18th March 2012, 08:55 PM
Hi Seanz, In days gone past I sold a lot of TL1000 lathes. The driving pulley on them had 3/4" holes, which means the motor shaft was 3/4". Should not be difficult finding a motor with a 3/4" shaft, even in New Zealand. Try contacting Teknatool direct, they are in New Zealand too.
Jim

seanz
18th March 2012, 09:38 PM
Contacting Teknatool is a definite possibility. But you fellas are my first stop.

I've measured the shaft of the motor ( not a lot of space for verniers) and it was 17mm. 3/4 inch is 19mm.....hmmm. I'll re-check that.
Food for thought.

You can still get motors with 19mm shafts on them, but a lot of the new stuff appears to be 24mm.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

RETIRED
18th March 2012, 09:49 PM
I agree with Jim. All that I sold and the one I have is 3/4 inch.

They were fitted with 1HP standard here.

Bigger motors generally have a larger shaft.

seanz
18th March 2012, 10:01 PM
I agree with Jim. All that I sold and the one I have is 3/4 inch.

They were fitted with 1HP standard here.

OK, that's very useful. So, I should aim for at least 1hp.

Bigger motors generally have a larger shaft.

Yeah-nah.

What manufacturers seem to be doing is making the one motor case and out-put shaft and assigning (don't ask me how, I don't speak "electrickery") different power ratings to different models of motor.
And it seems that the most common shaft size is 24mm.
Though I have just seen a 3/4hp motor with a 19mm shaft........so they're still out there.

seanz
26th March 2012, 11:47 AM
Oh.........goody........

Bit of a mission to get the pulley off and imagine my delight when I could finally get some vernier calipers on nicely and measure everything properly.
The shaft starts at 17mm and then steps down to 16mm.....and it's 55mm long.
So, the hole in the pulley is 16mm.

At least the shaft size on the lathe motor makes it an 'easy' swap onto the bandsaw......I don't need a new pulley for that........which was the least of my concerns.

tra lah lah.
:rolleyes: