PDA

View Full Version : natural edge vase

turnerted
18th March 2012, 03:38 PM
G'day
This is the first significant piece finished using my newly constructed hollowing rig based om TTIT's design.Thanks Vern.
The vase is of sheoke,about 210 mm high with a 5mm wall thickness. It was turned to finish size green and on drying has gone slightly oval in cross section and is now 126mm one way and 119mm the other .Some of the wood was a bit rotten and had to be stabilised with CA . It was finishd with about four coats of DO.
Hope you like it .Comments welcome.
Ted

brendan stemp
18th March 2012, 05:51 PM
Nice work Ted. Well finished. How'd the deep hollower go?

A design critique: On the right track but I would like to have seen more curve in the base including on the transitions. And the lower transition I would like to have seen higher.

Hope you don't mind the critique.

wheelinround
18th March 2012, 06:37 PM
Ted looks really nice.........I'll have to take a look at Vern's hollowing set up again.

orraloon
18th March 2012, 07:24 PM
Ted,
That looks good to me. Pretty good effort saving the bark rim. Did it take some CA there also?
Regards
John.

turnerted
19th March 2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the comments
Brendan ,Is what you are saying is that the shoulder should be higher, because that's what I think?
I find the rig much easier to use than other tools I have used . There is no fighting , you just push the tool in .I am using the rig with a Woodcut Proform flexi Hollower shaft fiitted to cut round the shoulder area then change to a homemade 20mm shaft with a Woodcut Proform power head as I get deeper.
Orraloon, I ran CA around the cambium layer to help hold the bark on.
Ted

brendan stemp
19th March 2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the comments
Brendan ,Is what you are saying is that the shoulder should be higher, because that's what I think?
I find the rig much easier to use than other tools I have used . There is no fighting , you just push the tool in .I am using the rig with a Woodcut Proform flexi Hollower shaft fiitted to cut round the shoulder area then change to a homemade 20mm shaft with a Woodcut Proform power head as I get deeper.
Orraloon, I ran CA around the cambium layer to help hold the bark on.
Ted
Yep, that's right Ted. Having it as low as you've got it has the visual effect of dragging the design down making it look bottom heavy. Lift that shoulder and put a little more curve in it would improve it considerably.

Hope you have another go at it. And pleased you have taken the critique well.