PDA

View Full Version : TS16 Restoration

PureEmotion
18th March 2012, 08:56 PM
We yhave retired and have taken on a restoration project.
We just started restoration on a hartly TS16, will be re-sheating hull and transom. upper parts look OK.

Blog at New Page 1 (http://www.PureEmotion.com.au/TS16.htm)

Boat is currently suspended on slings whilst 'surgery' is being assed, looks like we will need to turn boat over...... Any idea's how....?

Trevor & Carol
Townsville

boat tragic
20th March 2012, 06:10 PM
Hi, Try WWW australianhartleys.org.au There is lots of useful information on this site and a link to the Qld. state org . I have found these people very friendly and eager to help , with the advantage that they have done it all before and have contacts for all the TS16 bits that you may need . Good luck with your project

PureEmotion
20th March 2012, 07:06 PM
Hi, Try WWW australianhartleys.org.au There is lots of useful information on this site and a link to the Qld. state org . I have found these people very friendly and eager to help , with the advantage that they have done it all before and have contacts for all the TS16 bits that you may need . Good luck with your project

Thanks Mate, Have already joined the association, looking forward to getting stuck into project.

Trevor

SimonP
20th March 2012, 10:28 PM
Boat is currently suspended on slings whilst 'surgery' is being assed, looks like we will need to turn boat over...... Any idea's how....?

I turned my TS16 over by putting a sling directly under the centre of gravity (about 15cm in front of the cabin bulkhead on mine - yours could be different)
I wound one end of the sling onto a trailer winch which I'd hung from a steel beam in my workshop, and the other end onto another winch. I then progressively unwound one end of the sling, and wound up the other. The boat "rotisseried" over. You need to have one person at the bow or stern to adjust balance with their weight (easily done) and no rot in the cabin, or it won't take the weight of the boat in the sling. Don't stand on the boat while you do it. I used a folding ladder on pallets bridging over the boat to stand on.
I tried doing it with the sling going over the drum of one winch, but the friction wasn't great enough and the sling slipped on the drum.

The other way is to make 2 rolling frames, built around the boat. You then just roll the boat over like a barrel. Be carefull as it can roll onto you or away from you, as the weight distribution is not even at all angles of roll.

With lots of friends and lots of beer, a bare hull can be picked up and turned over, but I haven't heard of that being done once the weight of the deck, cabin and centreboard are added.

PureEmotion
21st March 2012, 07:56 PM
Hi SimonP, interesting idea. We have had the boat suspended via 2 webbing straps so we can work on trailer but have had to put it back due to mini cyclone in Townsville.
Not sure if I need to turn boat right over or just on it's side so we can re-glass, then the other side.

Thanks for your input.

Trevor

SimonP
21st March 2012, 08:32 PM
If all you want to do is roll it onto it's side, the way I did that when I painted my TS16 hull was to:
-attach a rope twice the height of the mast to the top of the mast
-raise the mast
-attach a rope to something solid in the backyard, like a house or tree stump.
-back the trailer and boat up to the stump
-run the rope right around the gunwale, through the bow-eye, along the other gunwale and back to the stump (ie, a loop going right around the boat)
-put old tyres under the keel (and trailer)
-drive forwards with the trailer, hopefully leaving boat, stump (and house or tree) behind
-pull down on the masthead rope tipping the boat onto it's side (placing more tyres under boat as it rolls towards you)
-tie the rope down to something heavy, like your car tow bar. It's amazing how much these boats want to right themselves

You can then do what you want to one side of the hull (or centreboard) When you're done, bring the boat up and down the other side to deal with the other side of the hull. Remember to lock the centreboard up before you allow her to come upright as it can slide out without you seeing it, and can potentially fracture the centrecase

To get the boat back on the trailer, attach the trailer winch cable to the boweye and then winch the trailer (and car) back towards the boat. The trailer must be attached to the car and the tilt disabled or it'll dig in as soon as the rear roller of the trailer reaches the bow.
You might want to put a tarp, carpet or old blanket over the tyres. I didn't, and they left black marks on the hull which I had to polish off.

PureEmotion
24th March 2012, 01:45 AM
Thanks SimonP, although I don't have the available space to use the mast, I have thought of now how to rig a leverage system to do the job.

Found some rot in one of the 'logs' (port forward of the pivot pin), the bottom has had many patches already so figure it's time to renew the botom skin and fix the log at the same time.

PAR
24th March 2012, 12:17 PM
Invite several of your well fed buddies over for beer and BBQ. Of course when they show up, they have to earn their keep and roll the boat. A boat this size isn't especially difficult to "manhandle" so the event will be less then exciting. In fact it will be all but anticlimactic. You'll spend much more time setting up a cradle, arranging chairs for your buddies and getting the beer cold, then the actual roll over.

My concern with a "leverage" roll is, you can crush things you didn't think you'd smash, when weight and strains are applied in placed not well intended for them. The last boat I rolled was an 18' sailboat. It was picked up from the building jib, turned 180 degrees and placed on some blankets on the ground next to it. The old building jig was removed and a rolling cradle was put in it's place. Then the boat was lifted again and placed on the rolling cradle (now upright). I mention this because it was preformed by myself, my 55 year old, out of shape other half, her 56 year old friend, who makes the comment "well fed" a compliment, and another mutual friend, a 72 year old of frail build. All old women, except for me! It took all of 5 minutes, most of this time spent dragging the building jig out and rolling in the cradle.

Or you could over think this thing with straps, lifting rigs and a running start with a pickup truck.

PureEmotion
26th March 2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the information and ideas, what I'm planing on doing is run a sling under the middle of boat then over the top, then use a endlass chain winch to pull the top strap while turning boat, I am looking to get the boat onto the second chine, then prop hull so it can't roll back.
I will put photos up on the blog as we go. We are currently closing up the transom before trying to turn over.

Trevor

PureEmotion
7th April 2012, 09:59 PM
OK transom skin is back in, glass has been done (on transom), work is progressing very well, during the next week we will be rolling boat over and starting work on the bottom.
This has become a project boat as I find I can't 'work' in the cabin, so will need to find a nother boat for sailing and keep this for project.
Trevor

SimonP
12th April 2012, 04:26 PM
I mention this because it was preformed by myself, my 55 year old, out of shape other half, her 56 year old friend, who makes the comment "well fed" a compliment

I did say you had to attach the mast head rope to something solid, to stop the boat righting herself while you work on her. Problem solved!
Now, where to tie the rope onto? .. if she'd been a guy that bit would have been easy

PureEmotion
12th April 2012, 04:40 PM
Hi, can't use the mast option as there is NO space to use it, BUT will be rolling boat up using 2 webbing straps, over the hull, back around under, the top two straps will be pulled on winch while lower edge of boat is held from slipping, should work fine.

Trevor