PDA

View Full Version : large vessels

David Pride
19th March 2012, 01:37 PM
Two pieces made on the big lathe. The bowl is about 600mm in diameter. The vase is about 800 mm high. Poplar vase, pine bowl.

wheelinround
19th March 2012, 01:38 PM
David next time north any chance I can call in and drool.

Bill Wyko
19th March 2012, 03:30 PM
Absolutely beautiful. Reminds me of a hawaiian wood called Cooks Pine.

brendan stemp
19th March 2012, 05:24 PM
Impressive stuff David. Nice shapes. What sort of lathe are you using?

Tony Morton
19th March 2012, 09:56 PM
Hi David
Welcome to the forum:2tsup: good to see someone else doing bigger pieces we'll have to get together some time and compare notes I'm only 20 minutes away at Wauchope.

Cheers Tony:

Scott
19th March 2012, 11:20 PM
Impressive stuff David. Nice shapes. What sort of lathe are you using?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Christos
19th March 2012, 11:34 PM
Well done.

dr4g0nfly
20th March 2012, 12:07 AM
600mm Pine Bowl - you grow 'em big down there then.

Looks like Monkey Puzzle (Araucaria araucana) to me.

David Pride
20th March 2012, 10:26 AM
wheelinround: I'm sure we could arrange to meet up if I'm not working interstate.
Send me a PM with some contact details.

The lathe I'm using is one I built to turn hemispheres up to 600 mm used to make molds for explosive charges. Powered by variable and reversible DC motor (bigger or smaller to suit the job).

It has a capstan cross slide and quick change tool post, bowl rests and an attachment for an arbortech. I will take a picture when I go to the shop next.

Sawdust Maker
21st March 2012, 08:16 AM
piccies of the lathe...piccies of the lathe...piccies of the lathe...piccies of the lathe...:2tsup:

Like the vase looks grand

wheelinround
21st March 2012, 09:34 AM
wheelinround: I'm sure we could arrange to meet up if I'm not working interstate.
Send me a PM with some contact details.

The lathe I'm using is one I built to turn hemispheres up to 600 mm used to make molds for explosive charges. Powered by variable and reversible DC motor (bigger or smaller to suit the job).

It has a capstan cross slide and quick change tool post, bowl rests and an attachment for an arbortech. I will take a picture when I go to the shop next.

Wow thats some lathe set up.

David thanks we were just talking this morning about heading up that way around Sept/Oct.

Ray

wheelinround
21st March 2012, 09:35 AM
piccies of the lathe...piccies of the lathe...piccies of the lathe...piccies of the lathe...:2tsup:

Like the vase looks grand

Nick time you got that stammer seen to:U

Sawdust Maker
21st March 2012, 12:41 PM
wha, wha, wha, what do you mean :p

artme
22nd March 2012, 12:44 AM
Very nice pieces!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

ABOUT THE PINE: It certainly looks like a member of the Aruacaria species.
The 3 species most common to Australia are Bunya Pine ( aruacaria bidwillii), Hoop Pine ( aruacaria cunninghamii), and Norfolk Island Pine which I think Bill refers to as Cook´s Pine.
There is another Aruacaria species that grows in the Pacific Islands, but its name escapes me.
We also have a species in New Guinea.
The Monkey Pod- or Puzzle tree grows in Chile and Argentina while another species, the Parana Pine, to is native to southern Brasil and Argentina. I think thre is also another species in this area but will have to check this out.

Just thought you might be interested!:rolleyes:

artme
22nd March 2012, 11:00 AM
Had a look at some more info on the Aruacaria species.

Norfolk Island Pine is Aruacaria Hetrophyla.

There are actually 13 species native to New Caledonia and one of these is Cook´s Pine. So Bill is correct in that there is a pine of this name.

All have a very similar structure, grain pattern and colouring, making it difficult to to tell one timber from the other.

David Pride
23rd March 2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks for replies. I think the bowl is Norfolk Island Pine as it the same as the big ones that are all around Port Macquarie. I got the log from a storm felled tree that was in town.
Here are some pictures of the lathe. It was originally built as a head-plate only to turn discs around 2 meters in diameter, then a job came to make the patterns for explosive charges so the bed was put on. Then I needed to make accurate columns so the capstan cross slide was adapted and so on. I add parts to suit the job at hand. I had 3 "B" series belts driving the chuck for strength but there was no weak link in case of a tool grabbing so I now use only one. Sometimes tools can be overhung 400mm on a 2 meter handle. The last picture is the sphere turning rig minus it's handle. I has face plates, scroll chucks, and speeds variable from 0 to 3000 rpm forward and reverse with electric braking.

wheelinround
23rd March 2012, 09:38 AM
David a well engineered machine the way you have adapted to your needs with the additional attachments is brilliant.

What I find amazing here is that often when browesing the net I find this sort of thing from OS artists. Yet here we have one right in NSW.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

artme
23rd March 2012, 12:26 PM
Wonderful machine David.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You obviously have metalworking skills to match your woodworking skills.:)

Paul39
30th March 2012, 02:00 PM
Wonderful machine David.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You obviously have metalworking skills to match your woodworking skills.:)

Ditto. I am in LUST with your lathe.

David Pride
31st March 2012, 04:37 PM
Thank you for the replies, It's nice to have people appreciate the time it take to make these things.
I hope to make some more large turned pieces soon. I've got wood, just got to find the time. :U

hughie
1st April 2012, 09:26 AM
Interesting, I always had a hankering to turn large bowls and so got involved with designing and building my own large lathe a while back.

But lately its been all small stuff 6-8" :?

Well done and well built :2tsup:

David Pride
2nd April 2012, 10:00 AM
I found a few more pictures of turned pieces. These were made with the sphere turning attachment for the foot board of an art deco style bed I was making. I say ' was' because it is too big to fit in our house. I will post some of the carved sections in the sculpture forum. These are about 300 mm in diameter. The two for the bed are both camphor but one of these is an unknown species (found).

Skewturn
18th April 2012, 11:17 PM
Nice pieces :2tsup: I can only dream of doing big pieces my lathe time is 3 to 4 hours every wednesday. I Try to do pieces I can finish in this time period. Cheers happy turning:U