PDA

View Full Version : Magnabend hinges

.RC.
19th March 2012, 06:08 PM
I have an idea of making a sheet metal bender, and it would use hinges of the style that the Magnabend uses...

Does anyone have any clear photo's of the magnabend hinges, or access to one where they could snap some photo's?

jhovel
19th March 2012, 06:24 PM
Peter (Harty69) has one.
Perhaps he could even do a drawing of one?
Joe

Jayson
19th March 2012, 09:38 PM
Jumped the gun a bit there Joe. We do plan on drawing them up but it will not be until a couple of other projects are finished... I will keep you all informed

RC there are some photo's here

Magnetic bend brake (e.g. MagnaBend) (http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/magnetic-bend-brake-e-g-magnabend-217995/)

let us know if you need others and I'll see what can be arranged.

Regards,

Jayson.

racer123
19th March 2012, 09:57 PM
Have you looked at the patent drawings on this page?Magnabend Electro-Magnetic Sheet Metal Bending Machine (http://aaybee.com.au/Magnabend/Magnabend%20Homepage.html)

Dave

.RC.
19th March 2012, 10:33 PM
Yes I have seen all of the above, but the hinges are still not clear as to the bit that bolts onto the bit you move to make a bend..

Jayson
19th March 2012, 11:07 PM
of course you have seen it, you even posted in the thread :doh:
sorry.

I'll see if some clearer photos can be scrounged up over the next few days.

Graziano
20th March 2012, 10:27 AM
I've been wondering how they work too but not yet to the point of making a copy/prototype. It'd be ideal for a disc sander or grinder table, about the only other alternative would be a segment of a circle with follower rollers which I think is found on some bandsaws.

There was another set of drawings out there I found via Practical Machinist for a door hinge or something.

(Edited my last message to get on topic more): The simplest version on page 7 fig 21A, It looks to me that the fixed part of the bender has a long pin that is captive in three places with three bolts/screws and the hinge part attached can slide up (gap labelled 21) and down the pin as well as rotate on it.

RC: looks like you have the weather now that we had for the last few days, good luck with it, I've been cut off for two days running at one spot which has never happened before that I can recall.

harty69
20th March 2012, 12:27 PM
Peter (Harty69) has one.
Perhaps he could even do a drawing of one?
Joe

actually I had 2 Joe 1000 and 1250 :)

I can take some pics but i am layed up for a couple of days
strangle enough the hinges are welded on so i cant take them off to measure Jayson and myself plan to make some but its down the list a bit
quite an ingenious design and the magnabender is a very very useful bit of kit wouldn't like to be without one now

Cheers
Harty

.RC.
20th March 2012, 02:25 PM
RC: looks like you have the weather now that we had for the last few days, good luck with it, I've been cut off for two days running at one spot which has never happened before that I can recall.

not yet.....fine here..overcast, but no rain at all.... Had to chase some cows to their doom this morning and two days ago the way the forecasters were carrying on we did not think we would get it done today...

harty69
20th March 2012, 06:24 PM
Hi RC

Would a video help as well as the pics ??

Cheers
Harty

.RC.
20th March 2012, 06:32 PM
The more the merrier :)

Keith_W
21st March 2012, 05:26 AM
Hi .RC.
Here is a couple of pictures of the Hinges on my Electrabrake that may be of help.

Regards,
Keith.

.RC.
22nd March 2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the picture... I was probably more interested in the sliding hinge section...

I assume it is a T-slot with a mating section to slide on it... Not that hard to make on a lathe.... Turn the section as a round, and then slice it up with a slitting saw...

harty69
24th March 2012, 01:12 PM
here we go
photos of the hinge
and video
VIDEO0611.mp4 - YouTube

cheers
Harty

.RC.
24th March 2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks a million, I see now the semi-circular hinge is spherical as well...

I cannot see them as being too hard to make though...