PDA

View Full Version : need help with a garage of woodturning stuff

andrew-k
20th March 2012, 11:20 AM
Hi Guys,
i am currently in the process of cleaning out my Fathers shed.. He has been a wood fanatic for as long as i can remember and has accumulated a garage full of tools and timber.. Before my dad got sick we decided to donate most of the hand tools and machinery to his local mens shed, however he wrote an ad to sell off his wood lathe and timber.. now I am no timber expert but he had been collecting timber since i was a kid, even collecting his off cuts from his turning scraps.... ( we have boxes of offcuts)... I have no idea what its worth, and i'm hoping someone might be able to help me out.. we are planning on donating most of the money to the district nurses and hospice people that have helped.. anyway, i will write down what he wrote in the ad...

Tough brand wood working lathe on purpose built stand..original specs and parts.. 1 hp motor, 1440 rpm. all original faceplates, tool rest and purpose built rest included.. tailstock has spindle bearings..

woodfast attachments are also included..
outrigger bowl turning attachment for large faceplate turning
outrigger 300mm sdanding plate with adjustable sanding tables and guides
1 lhs/rhs face plate for outside turning
1 full length tool rest with supports
1 8 3 point steady for long spindle turning with bearings on each arm, 9 heavy duty )

coronet attachments, all complete in original packaging.
a variety of bowl turning chucks from small to medium size
several coronet spigot chucks for easy change from small to medium size
coronet specialty faceplates

tools,
16 Sorby tools from scrapers, spindle gouges, bowl turning gouges plus several purpose made tools.
no.2 morse taper h/duty drill stock with several machine and multispur bits
2 double wheel grinding wheels with various grits

Timber that he marked for me...
1, Huon pine 460mm*215mm*60mm
2, Blackwood 175mm*170mm*90mm
3, Blackheart sassafrass 270mm*255mm*150mm
4, Redgum (seasoned) 280mm*140mm*50mm
5, Blackwood 300mm*300mm*40mm
6, Myrtle 670mm*215mm*80mm
7, King billy pine 440mm*180mm*80mm
8, Oak 2 seasond rough bowl blanks
9, King billy pine 160mm*160mm*160mm
10, Mulga log 110mm dia*350mm
11, Jelutong blank 380mm*340mm*55mm
12, Myrtle blank 210mm dia*35mm
13, Jarrah spindle 900mm*150mm*150mm ds
14, Huon pine 310mm*75mm*75mm

Timber offcuts he marked

1 box 6 misc offcuts of huon pine, blackwood bowl blank and teak
1 box of 26 misc of huon pine, blackwood,maple,pencil pine and black heart sassafrass
1 box huon pine originally from 300mm-400mm logs having had blanks removed from center, all off cuts still have rough exterior...12 pieces

cheers guys

Andrew

p.s. Should have wrote that its all located in Melbourne

RETIRED
20th March 2012, 03:19 PM
Please offer a fair and reasonable price.:~

Bushmiller
20th March 2012, 04:19 PM
Ditto what said, particularly as the proceeds are going to charity.

If the lathe is the same as my son's Tough, it is a good machine and basically a copy of a Woodfast, but made in Australia. I think this is correct and as Andrew mentions Woodfast accessories that corroborates my story. Spares are available through Carrolls.

Andrew, is there any chance of pictures both of the lathe and the timber? If a woodturner is nearby from the forum he may be able to suggest some values and the most attractive way of packaging the goods as normally it is a forum requirement to post a fixed price.

Regards
Paul

andrew-k
20th March 2012, 04:31 PM
Hi Paul, thanks for the advice.. I'll try and put some pics up when I go around this week..
I'm not trying to sell the stuff through this page, I put it in here hoping to get advice on its value so I can put it in the for sale section... Any advice on approx values would be great so that I could do this...

Thanks guys

Scott
20th March 2012, 05:33 PM
Prices for this sort of stuff is fairly subjective task Andrew. As a whole you could get close to $10-20kg for the timber depending on the grain and quality. I would visit a couple of places around Melbourne who sell blanks such as Pop's Shed in Chirnside Park or The Woodsmith in Croydon. They both sell a large amount of timber blanks and could give you a good indicator of what the going price is.

As far as the lathe and tools go I'd maybe look at eBay to see what that sort of stuff is going for or go to the manufacturers website, look at the prices and maybe take a certain percentage off what they are valued.

Feel free to P.M. me if you need some more help. I'm also interested in some of the stuff you've got to offer.

Cheers.

old pete
20th March 2012, 06:10 PM
Hi Andrew,

There are two models of Tough lathe. One is a newer and much heavier version of the first model which, as another correspondent said, is somewhat of a copy of the Woodfast (actually it's much better than the Woodfast IMO). I've got one of each of the Tough models and they are just about indestructible. I've put more than 20 years of sub commercial/commercial turning into each of them. Don't worry about parts you just won't need them. You can get a set of headstock bearings every 10 years or so at the local bearing shop. If you post a picture of the lathe I'll be happy to assign a value in terms of what I'd be prepared to pay.

I could be interested in the chisels. Can you post a pic please.

It's a sad duty you have in front of you there. My sympathies apply.

Cheers Old Pete

andrew-k
21st March 2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks Old pete, ill put some photos up later today or tomorrow if i can around there.. The lathe in question is definately cast and is HEAVY... i recall moving it twice.. My dad used to used to say it was the best because it would never twist when you turned larger items unlike the new cheap models online....

cheers mate

marcopolo
21st March 2012, 09:26 AM
Hi Guys,
i am currently in the process of cleaning out my Fathers shed.. He has been a wood fanatic for as long as i can remember and has accumulated a garage full of tools and timber.. Before my dad got sick we decided to donate most of the hand tools and machinery to his local mens shed, however he wrote an ad to sell off his wood lathe and timber.. now I am no timber expert but he had been collecting timber since i was a kid, even collecting his off cuts from his turning scraps.... ( we have boxes of offcuts)... I have no idea what its worth, and i'm hoping someone might be able to help me out.. we are planning on donating most of the money to the district nurses and hospice people that have helped.. anyway, i will write down what he wrote in the ad...

Tough brand wood working lathe on purpose built stand..original specs and parts.. 1 hp motor, 1440 rpm. all original faceplates, tool rest and purpose built rest included.. tailstock has spindle bearings..

woodfast attachments are also included..
outrigger bowl turning attachment for large faceplate turning
outrigger 300mm sdanding plate with adjustable sanding tables and guides
1 lhs/rhs face plate for outside turning
1 full length tool rest with supports
1 8 3 point steady for long spindle turning with bearings on each arm, 9 heavy duty )

coronet attachments, all complete in original packaging.
a variety of bowl turning chucks from small to medium size
several coronet spigot chucks for easy change from small to medium size
coronet specialty faceplates

tools,
16 Sorby tools from scrapers, spindle gouges, bowl turning gouges plus several purpose made tools.
no.2 morse taper h/duty drill stock with several machine and multispur bits
2 double wheel grinding wheels with various grits

Timber that he marked for me...
1, Huon pine 460mm*215mm*60mm
2, Blackwood 175mm*170mm*90mm
3, Blackheart sassafrass 270mm*255mm*150mm
4, Redgum (seasoned) 280mm*140mm*50mm
5, Blackwood 300mm*300mm*40mm
6, Myrtle 670mm*215mm*80mm
7, King billy pine 440mm*180mm*80mm
8, Oak 2 seasond rough bowl blanks
9, King billy pine 160mm*160mm*160mm
10, Mulga log 110mm dia*350mm
11, Jelutong blank 380mm*340mm*55mm
12, Myrtle blank 210mm dia*35mm
13, Jarrah spindle 900mm*150mm*150mm ds
14, Huon pine 310mm*75mm*75mm

Timber offcuts he marked

1 box 6 misc offcuts of huon pine, blackwood bowl blank and teak
1 box of 26 misc of huon pine, blackwood,maple,pencil pine and black heart sassafrass
1 box huon pine originally from 300mm-400mm logs having had blanks removed from center, all off cuts still have rough exterior...12 pieces

cheers guys

Andrew

p.s. Should have wrote that its all located in Melbourne

Andrew-K,
I read your post with interest.All the advice you have received is good. My business(era 1970-90) originally sold Tough,Woodfast and sometimes Coronet gear. I can offer a suggestion regarding price/value today and that is to locate an equivalent today at one of the major machinery retailers and expect to offer the used item at 50% to 60% of the new price depending on condition. Locating buyers won't be hard...this forum or ebay brings quick results.
Timber value is a great variable and is dependent on what a user wants it for and is prepared to pay. I'll leave that to the experts.
If I can help in any other way,let me know. I'm in Melbourne.
Best of luck, marco.

old pete
21st March 2012, 10:12 AM
Hi Andrew,

The older model Tough is all cast as is the newer model The older one is supported on two pairs of cast feet and a large base developed from the headstock casting. The newer model is a single large casting that sees the outside of the base and ways as a single element where the whole affair is in contact with the surface of the support bench and bolted to the bench from below into tapped holes. The tailstocks and headstocks of the two models are identical and interchangeable. Its just only possible for two people to lift the later model and OK for the earlier one. Look forward to seeing the pics.

Cheers Old Pete

Thanks Old pete, ill put some photos up later today or tomorrow if i can around there.. The lathe in question is definately cast and is HEAVY... i recall moving it twice.. My dad used to used to say it was the best because it would never twist when you turned larger items unlike the new cheap models online....

cheers mate

Bushmiller
21st March 2012, 10:25 AM
Andrew

A short story to explain my price reasoning based on the lathe I bought for my son:rolleyes:.

A friend from work bought the lathe from a local school for $150 (true) and when he decided he didn't want it I bought it off him for $200. We then discovered it was 1HP three phase so I bought a 1.5HP single phase motor for about $250 delivered.

It didn't fit the cabinet well so I made up new cabinets and set it on a piece of heavy duty channel, which made the already robust construction rock solid. The whole thing breaks down into four pieces for transportation. On that basis I would suggest the lathe to be worth $500 - $600. However the lathe we purchased had only faceplates with it and nothing else. I have included a pic below for you to judge whether it is similar to yours.

I also looked on ebay at this listing:

WOODFAST WOOD WORKING LATHE | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WOODFAST-WOOD-WORKING-LATHE-/320843116836?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item4ab3bd7124)

These lathes are Woodfast, but look very similar and the cabinet bases are very similar too to our original. He is asking for offers up to $1000. That does'nt mean he is going to get that. Perhaps on that basis and depending on the condition of your Dad's lathe and also exactly what is included with it I would suggest closer to $750 plus. I will leave final suggestions to others when you post some pictures. Also I don't class myself as a woodturner: Just a charlatan:-.

Regards
Paul

andrew-k
21st March 2012, 12:02 PM
Andrew

A short story to explain my price reasoning based on the lathe I bought for my son:rolleyes:.

A friend from work bought the lathe from a local school for $150 (true) and when he decided he didn't want it I bought it off him for $200. We then discovered it was 1HP three phase so I bought a 1.5HP single phase motor for about $250 delivered.

It didn't fit the cabinet well so I made up new cabinets and set it on a piece of heavy duty channel, which made the already robust construction rock solid. The whole thing breaks down into four pieces for transportation. On that basis I would suggest the lathe to be worth $500 - $600. However the lathe we purchased had only faceplates with it and nothing else. I have included a pic below for you to judge whether it is similar to yours.

I also looked on ebay at this listing:

WOODFAST WOOD WORKING LATHE | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WOODFAST-WOOD-WORKING-LATHE-/320843116836?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item4ab3bd7124)

These lathes are Woodfast, but look very similar and the cabinet bases are very similar too to our original. He is asking for offers up to $1000. That does'nt mean he is going to get that. Perhaps on that basis and depending on the condition of your Dad's lathe and also exactly what is included with it I would suggest closer to $750 plus. I will leave final suggestions to others when you post some pictures. Also I don't class myself as a woodturner: Just a charlatan:-.

Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,
once again thanks for the advice.. your lathe looks very similar, just the cupboards are different.. my dad built a solid timber frame to support it with space under for stuff... i will be around at his tomorrow so i will definately get some photos up..... i think once i cleaned it up it will look almost new....
cheers
andrew

authenticdeals
27th March 2012, 10:44 PM
Hi i would be interested when you are ready to sell these items. I am located on the Gold Coast but am happy to get a courier to pick up items. I am just starting out turning and go to the local gold coast woodturners. I am after a decent lathe that will hold up for many years of turning. Sounds like that lathe could be the one.

Regards,
Josh